News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Fan 'control'

Started by mkop, April 09, 2009, 12:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkop

I run TThrottle on a laptop and it works very well. When it sits idle, the temperature stays steady, but when I work on it there are times the fan revs up. Then TThrottle increases the % run time of the applications and the fan naturally stays on high speed.

I would like the laptop to stay with medium fan speed, as the small fan is quite noisy on high speed. The thing that I miss in TThrottle is some way of controlling the fan speed.

The idea would be that the user can specify a range (min and max) for the fan RPM. The primary goal of TThrottle would be to adjust the run time to reach this fan speed. The secondary goal (once the desired fan speed is reached) would be to control the temperature of the CPU.

Thank you,

fred

Quote from: mkop on April 09, 2009, 12:24:05 PM
I run TThrottle on a laptop and it works very well. When it sits idle, the temperature stays steady, but when I work on it there are times the fan revs up. Then TThrottle increases the % run time of the applications and the fan naturally stays on high speed.

I would like the laptop to stay with medium fan speed, as the small fan is quite noisy on high speed. The thing that I miss in TThrottle is some way of controlling the fan speed.

The idea would be that the user can specify a range (min and max) for the fan RPM. The primary goal of TThrottle would be to adjust the run time to reach this fan speed. The secondary goal (once the desired fan speed is reached) would be to control the temperature of the CPU.

Thank you,
This is one thing that is on my to look into list. It is probably highly dependent on the hardware and specific to a machine.
But I haven't dug in deep enough to know the exact problems. It should be doable and would be a nice addition I will try to do it, when I have the time.....

Fred

Soulmech

I don't know much about hardware, but I can imagine that this is very machine-specific. Speedfan, a temperature monitor and fan regulator, allows the user to import configurations that are specific to that model of motherboard. Whether or not there is a more coarse-grained approach, I don't know.

fred

Quote from: Soulmech on May 30, 2009, 05:39:23 AM
I don't know much about hardware, but I can imagine that this is very machine-specific. Speedfan, a temperature monitor and fan regulator, allows the user to import configurations that are specific to that model of motherboard. Whether or not there is a more coarse-grained approach, I don't know.
Indeed very specific to the machine. And I personally don't like the idea, because you could easily get conflicts between other programs/drivers. You could even damage your computer if the fan doesn't work correctly.

SaSofs

Thanks dhanson. Ive used speedfan before just for temperature monitoring, but never for fan control. Ill check it out.

Anyone got an answer to my 2nd question, about PWM vs analog fan control?