Android firewall not allowing local connections

Started by hucker, January 23, 2022, 01:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

I've tried a couple of firewalls on my android now, noroot and netpatch, and neither of them allow local connections. My phone is using wifi, and that works fine, and the firewalls allow me to choose which apps can access the internet. But I run Boinc on the phone, which is monitored and controlled by a Windows 10 PC on my network using Boinctasks. Despite allowing Boinc on the phone access to wifi, and it can get tasks from the internet, the Windows PC cannot see it so I can't monitor or control it that way. Are there any firewalls that don't mess about with local access like this?

fred

But do you need a firewall, it doesn't add much. You probably need a rooted device.

E.g. afwall LAN = All internal Local Area Network (LAN) traffic (default disabled, needs to be enabled in the options)

Don't use the app but this shows set a check at LAN

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-set-up-and-use-the-best-android-firewall-afwall/

hucker

I need a firewall because it's a dodgy phone I got on Ebay from China which is so full of adware I get something on the screen literally every 10 seconds.  These things eat the RAM and Boinc won't run most projects.

I've managed to root it and install AFWall+, thanks!  Seems to be working.  Not blocking Boincstats from seeing it.  Hopefully with nothing else allowed on the wifi it can't do anything annoying and RAM consuming.

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 24, 2022, 08:32:25 PM
I need a firewall because it's a dodgy phone I got on Ebay from China which is so full of adware I get something on the screen literally every 10 seconds.
You might be able to install a more stock Android on the phone.....