Two instances of Boinctasks at once?

Started by hucker, April 17, 2020, 04:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

This may be a weird and unusual request, but I like to monitor my Boinc machines in two different ways at once:
1) Divided by computer so I can quickly see if one is crashed, offline, stuck tasks etc.
2) Divided by project so I can get a quick overview of how many tasks are running for each project across all computers.

At the moment I'm doing this by having Boinctasks running on two computers, then remote access one of them so they're both displayed on local monitors (all the other machines are in a different room for quietness).

Would it be possible to run two instances of Boinctasks on one machine to save me having to do the remote access stuff?

fred

BoincTasks is using a mutex, search for ways to bypass.
Starting BoincTasks as a different user might work.

There is off course a reason to start only one program at the time, like shared registry keys and disk location.

hucker

Sounds a bit complicated, more complicated than just using one of my other computers and remote displaying it.  That way they won't fight over files and registry entries.  I guess it would be a fair bit of hassle to let the program display things twice or let it run two of itself.  I'll stick to what I'm doing.

fred

Quote from: hucker on April 18, 2020, 01:02:33 AM
Sounds a bit complicated, more complicated than just using one of my other computers and remote displaying it.  That way they won't fight over files and registry entries.  I guess it would be a fair bit of hassle to let the program display things twice or let it run two of itself.  I'll stick to what I'm doing.
I added it to the to do list. It might take longer than usual because of the COVID outbreak.

fred

You do know there is a computer and project sidebar.
This lets you quickly change between e.g. a group of computer or a project

hucker

Yeah, in hindsight, flipping through the computers one by one on the sidebar is a better way to check things are all running right.  So I wouldn't bother wasting time making what I requested, I've stopped doing it that way.

One has to wonder why the Boinc manager looks so awful.  I couldn't imagine using just that, even with a single computer.  Maybe you should ask if Boinc can incorporate your coding into theirs to make it all in one?