Display number of CPUs not % in "use at most"

Started by hucker, May 11, 2020, 05:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

In extra, boinc preference, processor, "on multiprocessor systems, use at most", the number of CPUs would be easier than the percentage.  I have two machines with 24 cores each.  Converting to a percentage is a nuisance and requires me to get my calculator out!

Be aware that if this has to be converted to a percentage to give to boinc, then it should increase it slightly.  Eg if I have 3 cores and enter 66.6%, it will use only 1 core.  If I enter 66.7% it will use 2 cores.  Boinc rounds down, not up.

fred

Quote from: hucker on May 11, 2020, 05:06:26 PM
In extra, boinc preference, processor, "on multiprocessor systems, use at most", the number of CPUs would be easier than the percentage.  I have two machines with 24 cores each.  Converting to a percentage is a nuisance and requires me to get my calculator out!

Be aware that if this has to be converted to a percentage to give to boinc, then it should increase it slightly.  Eg if I have 3 cores and enter 66.6%, it will use only 1 core.  If I enter 66.7% it will use 2 cores.  Boinc rounds down, not up.
This is a BOINC client thing, that handles it this way.

hucker

Yes, I asked them to change it and they told me to get lost.  I thought perhaps Boinctasks could translate the number into a percentage.

fred

Quote from: hucker on May 19, 2020, 02:15:02 AM
Yes, I asked them to change it and they told me to get lost.  I thought perhaps Boinctasks could translate the number into a percentage.
It should be solved at the source, the client know everything about the machine.

hucker

Quote from: fred on May 19, 2020, 02:33:53 AM
Quote from: hucker on May 19, 2020, 02:15:02 AM
It should be solved at the source, the client know everything about the machine.

Well apparently the Boinc programmers think percentages are a better idea.  In case for some reason I change the CPU?!  I'd want to change the number of cores used then anyway and not keep a fixed percentage.