Boinctasks stealing window focus due to notify feature

Started by Pichu0102, June 22, 2020, 10:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 05, 2023, 02:26:39 PM
Total number of tasks displayed affects it maybe?  Two machines have over a thousand tasks (small Primegrid ones).  And those seem to make it slower, although they're the fastest machines, and one is this local one.
1000 should do that, you didn't disable filtering.
Best to close the window, because it will use resources when you display that many tasks.

hucker

I want the window open all the time, I like to see the display of all the running computers all the time, that's one of the main reasons for having Boinctasks.

What is the filtering you speak of?

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 05, 2023, 03:33:40 PM
What is the filtering you speak of?
Extra-> Filter tasks on Everything checked except running

hucker

fred

hucker

Then I guess it's just overloaded (presumably at the viewing end).  It's a Ryzen 9 3900XT, you don't get much faster!  Of course it's busy with Boinc.  I could try upping the process priority for Boinctasks....

Nope, didn't work.  Boinctasks is only using a fraction of a core, and even if I pause Boinc on this machine it can't keep up.  I guess it's not a CPU power limitation, but a programming limitation :-)

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 05, 2023, 05:57:18 PM
Nope, didn't work.  Boinctasks is only using a fraction of a core, and even if I pause Boinc on this machine it can't keep up.  I guess it's not a CPU power limitation, but a programming limitation :-)
The BOINC client has the transfer the data that might be a limiting factor.
BoincTasks is as fast as it can it runs on one thread for each computer and one for the display.

hucker

So how come it can display computer A fast, it can display computer B fast, but both together is slow?

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 05, 2023, 06:55:35 PM
So how come it can display computer A fast, it can display computer B fast, but both together is slow?
No idea, I tested with 10.000 + tasks.

hucker

Must just be a combination of slowness at all ends.  Everything is flat out on Boinc here.  If any CPO or GPU is below 95% usage, I adjust.

fred

At least the problem is solved.
The Refresh rate is automatically linked to the number of tasks, so going slower is expected.
You can set it to manual, but it used extra CPU time that could be used by BOINC.