Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Haselgrove

on

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2019 10.1 Inch 32GB
ARM ARMv8 Processor rev 4 (v8l) [Impl 0x41 Arch 8 Variant 0x0 Part 0xd03 Rev 4]
Android 4.4.177-19577611 (Android 10)

Major snag - second line after startup

[time]:Connection:No Wifi

but it does know (correctly) the current IP address, which has just downloaded the apk correctly...

Apart from that,
1) This tablet had a stand for landscape mode - that would be a good addition.
2) I can't find a way to uninstall it between test runs - old Berkeley beta apk appears in the app store 'installed apps' list (although it didn't come from the app store), but this one doesn't.

fred

Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on November 20, 2020, 05:08:04 PM

Major snag - second line after startup

[time]:Connection:No Wifi

but it does know (correctly) the current IP address, which has just downloaded the apk correctly...

Apart from that,
1) This tablet had a stand for landscape mode - that would be a good addition.
2) I can't find a way to uninstall it between test runs - old Berkeley beta apk appears in the app store 'installed apps' list (although it didn't come from the app store), but this one doesn't.
Missing IP? What happens when you click on menu GUI Setup it should show "IP of this device:"
I just updated the version to 1.4. I've tested this for a long time on one API 16 phone and one with the latest API.
One of the older versions shows No WiFi when it's actually disabled.
As a last resort, the app can log all errors to a file.

1) Turning the device is a crime it basically restart everything except for the threads... If I find a way to set this in the program I will.
2) The Berkeley app is maintained by the Google Play store, it know the ID. The new APK should install just over the old one.

Richard Haselgrove

As a tablet, it's basically 'WiFi only' - that was working fine until (I think) a router reboot two days ago. There were finished tasks in the Berkeley app, unreported. I used 'settings' to reconnect the WiFi (which should have been automatic), and it has remained connected ever since - upload, report, update machine, browse the web, download your app.

Yes, it found and displayed an IP address in my home LAN's DHCP range, but I didn't succeed in attaching to it. I also found the 'Log to file' control, but the 'No WiFi' message appears before the log starts up, and isn't captured in the file.

I've paused the experiments for tonight, and I'll give it another try in the morning.

fred

Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on November 20, 2020, 06:07:25 PM
As a tablet, it's basically 'WiFi only'
That's OK as the app is WIFI only for the connection to BoincTasks.
The lost connection should be fixed in 1.4. Android is interesting in doing the unexpected.

The No WiFi is not in the logging as it's handled in a separate connection thread. So far I found no need to add logging there. This is a know issue before 1.4.
I test this daily as my router restarts every day at night and produced this no WiFi error once in a while. But only on the new phone, the old phone just keeps on going.
Before 1.4 you needed to disable and enable the connection in settings. That is now handled automatically by the WatchDog.

I see this as a install and forget app, so the visual thing is mostly used when something goes wrong. I build a BoincTasks for Android to show everything what's going on.
Added a page here: https://efmer.com/boinctasks-for-android/

hucker

Quote from: fred on November 20, 2020, 06:28:19 PMI test this daily as my router restarts every day at night
Is that on purpose?  Mine runs for years.

fred

Richard Haselgrove

Sorry to say, I'm not getting very far with this. I meant to test yesterday, but hit the same snag as cristipurdel - reverted to the test 7.16.3 apk, but didn't notice that your version had started in the background, and the work wasn't completed overnight.

Gave it another try today, checking very carefully that I filled in every option as required. Even filled in the 'allowed GUI IP address', as both a.b.c.d precise and a.b.c class C subnet, and as both WiFi address and generic address. Not using secure password, attempting connection from a recent Windows Manager - I could see it trying repeatedly, but getting no response. Still seeing 'No WiFi' in your app, even after stopping and restarting the client long after WiFi connection has established itself after a restart.

The other points - landscape mode. I accept it's a bit of a chore, but on this tablet the power connection is on the rhs when in landscape, at the bottom in portrait mode. For an app which has to have permanent power, portrait is difficult - won't stand up where I can see it because the cord is in the way.

Would it be possible to add a 'launch at startup' toggle in the local controls? I'd prefer not to have to open and stop this app to allow 7.16.3 to run during testing.

fred

Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on November 22, 2020, 02:03:02 PM
Sorry to say, I'm not getting very far with this. I meant to test yesterday, but hit the same snag as cristipurdel - reverted to the test 7.16.3 apk
1) Does the App show the IP when you select "Gui setup" ? Like Ip of this device is ....
2) Will remove the screen orientation lock. I hate that the whole app restarts at that point, but that's the way Android works.
3) I will add a check Start at reboot.

Richard Haselgrove

1) Yes, and it's clearly an IP address supplied by the DHCP server in my WiFi router.
2) Thanks
3) and more thanks

fred

Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on November 22, 2020, 03:13:09 PM
1) Yes, and it's clearly an IP address supplied by the DHCP server in my WiFi router.
I noticed getting the WiFi Ip was not handled identical, that might be the cause.
To be sure I added an extra error log.

cristipurdel

I would suggest to have default settings from the start:
- encryption set based on android OS version
- WiFi ip set directly to first option e.g. 192.168.1.20
- external IP set directly to first option e.g. 192.168.1
and so on in order to have the first experience much smoother

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on November 22, 2020, 07:49:06 PM
I would suggest to have default settings from the start:
Encryption works on all Android versions with BoincTasks.
WiFi ip isn't really needed when you only use it at home, the same goes for the external Ip.

fred

Richard Haselgrove

Thanks. Before testing that, I had one last go at v1.4

Remembering a mantra I often use, "every wire has two ends" - including wireless ones. I had a suspicion that a recent AV/firewall update might have blocked unexpected outbound connections, so I've moved to my normal daily driver, which is already monitoring the rest of the shrubbery. Nada. I can ping the Samsung tablet, but even boinccmd can only return "can't connect to [IP address]".

Switching to a new thread for v1.5