Controlling room temperature with Tthrottle and Boinc!

Started by hucker, December 02, 2020, 12:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

I couldn't find a better place to suggest this, but if anybody wants to try, I think it would be possible to use Tthrottle to control your room temperature, and run Boinc to heat your home.  I'm not going to do it myself because I want Boinc to run as much as possible, but for those trying to save money by doing two things at once:

Find a sensor on your computer(s) (say a motherboard sensor well away from the CPU/GPU, could be called ambient, use HWinfo as an external option so you can choose which sensor), physically locate it and make sure it's got a good draught of air from the room (add a fan blowing onto it if necessary).  Set Tthrottle to the temperature you want the room to be.  As the room cools below this temperature, Boinc will run more and more.  When the room is warm enough, it stops Boinc altogether.

Corsair

Hi Hucker,

;) :o, really very nice suggestion!!

in Spain would be the most expensive heating system ever done, the price of the electricity is one the the most expensive in Europe, but could try  ::)

nice Xmas present  ;D
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

hucker

Quote from: Corsair on December 02, 2020, 03:30:34 PM
Hi Hucker,

in Spain would be the most expensive heating system ever done, the price of the electricity is one the the most expensive in Europe, but could try  ::)

nice Xmas present  ;D
Isn't Spain hot?  You'd need a special CPU that produces cold.  I know a guy in California that has to run AC and Boinc at once.

And you pay more than the UK?  I thought ours was absurd, I pay 0.18 Euros per kWh.

fred

Quote from: hucker on December 02, 2020, 04:00:55 PM
And you pay more than the UK?  I thought ours was absurd, I pay 0.18 Euros per kWh.
0.18 if pretty cheap, think California $.40 when you use a bit more than average. Expensive and not reliable, like now they threaten to switch off large areas because of the fire hazard (lack of rain).

hucker

Quote from: fred on December 03, 2020, 08:09:17 AM
0.18 if pretty cheap, think California $.40 when you use a bit more than average. Expensive and not reliable, like now they threaten to switch off large areas because of the fire hazard (lack of rain).
Yes I've heard about that.  But I was told it was per time of day.  Because they've gone mad with solar power, there's more power when there's less usage, so it ranges from 15 to 50 cents per kWh depending when you use it.  The power companies are actually using huge Li Ion batteries to store the energy, which must be very wasteful - Lithium is a finite resource.

Corsair

Quote from: Corsair on December 02, 2020, 03:30:34 PM
Hi Hucker,

nice Xmas present  ;D
Isn't Spain hot?  You'd need a special CPU that produces cold.  I know a guy in California that has to run AC and Boinc at once.

bear in mind that in North of Spain the weather is rather similar to Eire, more or less, lots of rain and moderate cold in winter (among +2 & +9 Celsius) with a lots of snow in our Cantabrian mountains, we have and skiing resort just 60 km South from home.
We don't need AC but we need heating in winter, summers average uses to be not above +25 Celsius. ;)
My state (Cantabria) is green, Atlantic forests, mountains everywhere, a lot of cattle (mainly cows) and huge amount of crazy people (these are us the Cantabrians)  ::)

but this mountains are doing a lot of weather control and in my state, only rains with winds from W clockwise to NNE, NNE to E clear skies and cold winds, from E to W clockwise no rain at all and very hot and dry winds (Föhn effect of our loved mountains over the coast).
in Spanish: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efecto_F%C3%B6hn
and in English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind
and with the global warming we have noticed less rains and raise of average temperatures all round the year.

the price of electricity is an average and depend of the tariff there is one that is called "last resource" and is government controlled and is for all people that doesn't want the market fluctuations uses to be for long time costumer contracts and another one that companies more or less forces to use that is "market prices" and fluctuates nearly everyday but companies uses to offer you, if you pushed them, can make a "good price".
more or less there are two terms, fixed one that is about 50 €/two months & consumption that could be among 0.12 & 0.18 €/kW (tax included).

also have to consider that salaries in Spain still not at European level, so, is expensive for our incomes.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

hucker

Quote from: Corsair on December 04, 2020, 11:12:19 AMthe price of electricity is an average and depend of the tariff there is one that is called "last resource" and is government controlled and is for all people that doesn't want the market fluctuations uses to be for long time costumer contracts and another one that companies more or less forces to use that is "market prices" and fluctuates nearly everyday but companies uses to offer you, if you pushed them, can make a "good price".
more or less there are two terms, fixed one that is about 50 €/two months & consumption that could be among 0.12 & 0.18 €/kW (tax included).

also have to consider that salaries in Spain still not at European level, so, is expensive for our incomes.
Fluctuating every day?  They can't do that with me, I refused to let them install a "smart meter".  I can only pay one single tariff (actually two, I have a dual tarriff meter, for day/night/weekend etc, which they aren't currently using).