Problems with BoincTasks-Js

Started by Keith Myers, March 15, 2021, 01:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Myers

Having no luck with the deb BoincTasks-Js application.  Nothing seems to work.  I add Computers by Find >> Add Computers and checkmarking  them.

But only the IP, Computer and Port fields ever populate.

I can't edit any of the added Computer fields to change the name.  If you manually add a computer entry, it just comes up as Undefined.  Trying to Delete the unwanted computer host entries just makes the computer list constantly flip back and forth from top to bottom.

Not sure what the GRP field is for or what it is defined as either.

Also, what is the cycling dots on bottom left of the status bar about.  I'm guessing it might be an indicator of the BT app handshaking with the hosts.  And mine just continuously cycles from 1 to 8 dots.

The Computers list window just has a big red, crossed out error dot.

This app is definitely not ready for prime time.

fred

Quote from: Keith Myers on March 15, 2021, 01:47:06 AM
Having no luck with the deb BoincTasks-Js application.  Nothing seems to work.  I add Computers by Find >> Add Computers and checkmarking  them.
The comments help a lot.
I'm spending a day with the installation tools and only progressing an inch.

A couple of small things to fix.....

fred

There is a new deb package  1.06 that should solve the problems.

paul

Tried v1.06 on Ubuntu 20.04 but having same issues as Keith   :'(

fred

Quote from: paul on March 17, 2021, 09:49:03 AM
Tried v1.06 on Ubuntu 20.04 but having same issues as Keith   :'(
Please check the about box to see if you go 1.06.
My test machine has the same version.

fred

Just update the snapstore to 1.07, basically the same version as the deb package.

https://efmer.com/boinctasks-js/boinctasks-js-download/

paul

Checked and I was using v1.06. Tried v1.07 from the snapstore and same issues. I can attach projects to hosts but the menu tab selection is stuck on computers. Only the IP, Computer and Port fields ever populate.

A team mate has v1.02 working though  :o

fred

Quote from: paul on March 17, 2021, 04:50:51 PM
Checked and I was using v1.06. Tried v1.07 from the snapstore and same issues. I can attach projects to hosts but the menu tab selection is stuck on computers. Only the IP, Computer and Port fields ever populate.
If you are stuck in the computer tab and can edit the items, you are edit mode.
You must press on ready in the footer to store and exit edit.

Keith Myers

Debug log
9:40:12 AM BoincTasks Js, 1.06.
9:40:12 AM System running on platform: linux ,architecture: x64.
9:40:12 AM Folder app: /home/keith.
9:40:12 AM Folder data: /home/keith/.config.
9:40:12 AM Password might be in: /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.
9:41:25 AM .
9:41:25 AM Scan computers: Begin.
9:41:25 AM Local Ip: 192.168.2.135.
9:41:25 AM Found: 192.168.2.134 Name: Pipsqueek.
9:41:25 AM Found: 192.168.2.141 Name: Numbskull.
9:41:25 AM Found: 192.168.2.81 Name: Nano.
9:41:25 AM Found: 192.168.2.179 Name: midget.
9:43:05 AM .
9:43:05 AM Scan computers: Begin.
9:43:05 AM Local Ip: 192.168.2.135.
9:43:05 AM Found: 192.168.2.134 Name: Pipsqueek.
9:43:05 AM Found: 192.168.2.141 Name: Numbskull.
9:43:05 AM Found: 192.168.2.81 Name: Nano.
9:43:05 AM Found: 192.168.2.179 Name: midget.
9:44:18 AM BoincTasks Js, 1.06.
9:44:18 AM System running on platform: linux ,architecture: x64.
9:44:18 AM Folder app: /home/keith.
9:44:18 AM Folder data: /home/keith/.config.
9:44:18 AM Password might be in: /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.
9:44:22 AM BoincTasks Js, 1.06.
9:44:22 AM System running on platform: linux ,architecture: x64.
9:44:22 AM Folder app: /home/keith.
9:44:22 AM Folder data: /home/keith/.config.
9:44:22 AM Password might be in: /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.
9:44:25 AM BoincTasks Js, 1.06.
9:44:25 AM System running on platform: linux ,architecture: x64.
9:44:25 AM Folder app: /home/keith.
9:44:25 AM Folder data: /home/keith/.config.
9:44:25 AM Password might be in: /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.

It would never do anything after the Find computers has scanned and found the computers.  I clicked all the hosts and clicked the add button but nothing happened.

Then I went back to the menu and hit the Add button and the computers made it into the list with the same amount of Undefined hosts.

Then the host list started doing its recycling thing from top to bottom.  But this time I was able to select the individual Undefined hosts and the Delete entry worked this time and I was able to clear them from the list.

But other than that progress, nothing else is working.  Can't get the hosts over onto to the Computers list.  Can't get rid of the error ball on the 192.168.2.81 host.  Can't make any edits in any of the fields.  Can't get any of my projects to display.  No running tasks displayed.

fred

Quote from: Keith Myers on March 17, 2021, 05:01:52 PM
But other than that progress, nothing else is working.  Can't get the hosts over onto to the Computers list.  Can't get rid of the error ball on the 192.168.2.81 host.  Can't make any edits in any of the fields.  Can't get any of my projects to display.  No running tasks displayed.
That looks exactly as it should be.
Press on the Ready icon in the footer.

After adding computers the edit computer screen is shown, edit and press ready.

Keith Myers

Making some progress.  It looks once I filled in the password, once again in the Edit function of the host list that BT could connect to the midget host.  Populated all the fields correctly.

So the host that has the only conventional debian install of BOINC is the one that can be connected.  All my other hosts are invisible to BT because they are installed in a non-default location.

I have no issues with the Windows 1.85 version of BT running under Wine though connecting to all my hosts and displaying all features.  Will continue using the Windows version.

Let me know of any further developments/versions that can allow connecting to hosts running in /home.

Keith Myers

Quote from: fred on March 17, 2021, 05:06:31 PM
Quote from: Keith Myers on March 17, 2021, 05:01:52 PM
That looks exactly as it should be.
Press on the Ready icon in the footer.

After adding computers the edit computer screen is shown, edit and press ready.
Doesn't work on the other hosts.  Editing any of the other host Password fields and hitting the Ready button does nothing.

Keith Myers

OK, got it to work.  You have to manually edit a single computer at a time to enable the Ready button.  If you select multiple hosts in the same Edit session, the Entry button never appears, only Delete.

The Find/Add computers never worked correctly. Never remembers the password you entered.  You have to manually add a single computer at a time and then Edit that computer all by itself to get any values to stick and the host to be connected.

fred

Quote from: Keith Myers on March 17, 2021, 05:44:12 PM
OK, got it to work.  You have to manually edit a single computer at a time to enable the Ready button.  If you select multiple hosts in the same Edit session, the Entry button never appears, only Delete.
The Find/Add computers never worked correctly. Never remembers the password you entered.  You have to manually add a single computer at a time and then Edit that computer all by itself to get any values to stick and the host to be connected.
The procedure is Computers Edit at that point you can edit all computers and click ready to store and exit.
Select is for delete only.

But somehow it's not what users expect.

paul

Making progress. Have it working on snap 1.07. Issue I have now is that several hosts just show initializing on the project and application column. I have around 26 hosts.
Oh and the message tab does not populate anything.