Add REC to available columns in Projects & tasks tabs

Started by benhines, April 03, 2021, 01:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhines

As the debt value has long gone in newer versions of the client, could we have the current REC value for a project instead please? (it is in the client state file, which I guess you are reading on a regular basis)

Would be nicer (in my book anyway) to actually have REC divided by Resource share (as this is what the scheduler uses to determine the next job to run), but understand if others would prefer the unadulterated value.

fred

Quote from: benhines on April 03, 2021, 01:02:08 PM
As the debt value has long gone in newer versions of the client, could we have the current REC value for a project instead please? (it is in the client state file, which I guess you are reading on a regular basis)

Would be nicer (in my book anyway) to actually have REC divided by Resource share (as this is what the scheduler uses to determine the next job to run), but understand if others would prefer the unadulterated value.
There is
<rec>
<rec_time>
<resource_share>
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/REC-based_scheduler and the link to the original doc.

This is something to put in the Project tab, if I can read it.

I will most likely implement it in BoincTasks Js and not in BoincTasks.
BoincTasks Js is multi platform and much easier to maintain.

benhines

Thanks Fred
From my own investigations, REC for all projects goes down whenever the boinc client is running, at a rate defined by the global half life setting. Not actually sure what triggers it being recalculated, but appears to be at any job completion, and probably at other times too. I think this is the REC Time field. Suspending a project doesn't affect the recalculation. When a job runs it increase the REC for the project of the job in relation to the number of resources and how long it runs for.
The job scheduler appears to take a job from those already waiting from the project with the lowest (REC/Resource share) subject to other constraints (eg deadline, max concurrent etc)
I'm asking for this so I can make an estimate as to when the ready workunits  are going to get naturally processed (vs. getting scheduled due to approaching deadline) - the work fetch process is spectacularly poor when it comes to projects with substantially different resource shares (it fetches too much work for those with a small allocation)

On Win10Home here, and the first couple of attempts to get round the non-signed app didn't work (failed in the DISM part), so haven't got the .js running yet, I'll keep working on that. For the meantime still on 1.85

fred

Quote from: benhines on April 10, 2021, 05:50:48 AM
Thanks Fred
On Win10Home here, and the first couple of attempts to get round the non-signed app didn't work (failed in the DISM part), so haven't got the .js running yet, I'll keep working on that. For the meantime still on 1.85
You can change the extension appx -> zip, unzip the file and run the exe inside app.