Open dialog box in sensible or remembered place

Started by hucker, July 19, 2022, 05:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

I have 5 monitors (this may be unusual!) - if I open a dialog box in Boinctasks (eg abort tasks), it always opens on the wrong monitor.  I'm not sure how it decides where to put it, but it likes to go onto my primary monitor, even though Boinctasks is on another one (always sat there so I can watch my 10 computers).  Could it please either open in front of the main Boinctasks window, or remember where I put it last?

fred

Quote from: hucker on July 19, 2022, 05:07:22 PM
I have 5 monitors (this may be unusual!) - if I open a dialog box in Boinctasks (eg abort tasks), it always opens on the wrong monitor.  I'm not sure how it decides where to put it, but it likes to go onto my primary monitor, even though Boinctasks is on another one (always sat there so I can watch my 10 computers).  Could it please either open in front of the main Boinctasks window, or remember where I put it last?
I can only test this on 2 monitors.
It stores the location of the dialog, that should work regardless the number of monitors.
You should be able to move the window to the right location and close is. If you open it again is should be at the stored location.

hucker

I move it, but it doesn't remember it.  I've seen it in other programs too, so it's more likely a Windows bug than a Boinctasks bug.  Windows isn't too good with multiple monitors, especially if you dare to start up the computer with one of the monitors off, then it decides to rearrange absolutely everything.  I've got 6 now....

I'm assuming your program remembers the location using a set of X,Y coordinates.  And Windows is changing those around.

The same thing happens with the main window.  I have it stretched across three monitors, above each other.  When the computer puts the screens to sleep at night, the next day Boinctasks is only on one screen.

fred

Quote from: hucker on August 18, 2022, 08:09:35 PM
I'm assuming your program remembers the location using a set of X,Y coordinates.  And Windows is changing those around.
That used to be a problem with 2 monitors, let along 5 or 6.