Author Topic: Add column in [Projects] tabs : "an app_config is active"  (Read 148 times)

Offline ElGuillermo

• View Profile
Add column in [Projects] tabs : "an app_config is active"
« on: April 19, 2022, 09:15:37 am »
Hi !

I use BoincTasks since years, managing ~10 machines, some distant, some in LAN.
As I frequently change the projects I'm working on, I have to do some finetuning for specific machines/projects, using app_config.xml and cc_config.xml a lot.

Sometimes, as I return to a project or machine that I didn't work on for a long time, I forget there is an app_config.xml or a cc_config.xml active on it.

Would it be possible for BoincTasks to display a new "Local config" column on the [Projects] screen, saying either "app_config", "cc_config" or "none/blank" is active ?
It would permit to eventually know the reason why a machine/project which hasn't been launched for a long time isn't working as intended on default settings.

Thanks !
(and thanks for BoincTasks and Tthrottle : I do not even know how I would do without these cool tools)

Offline fred

• Global Moderator
  • eFMer
    • View Profile
    • Trails
Re: Add column in [Projects] tabs : "an app_config is active"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 11:06:15 pm »
Sometimes, as I return to a project or machine that I didn't work on for a long time, I forget there is an app_config.xml or a cc_config.xml active on it.
I added it to the list, let's see if that's possible and not too time consuming.

Offline ElGuillermo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 11:59:04 pm »
Thanks !

Though I do not have any idea of your actual code, as Boinc client reports the presence of app_config.xml files in projects folders, that should be as simple as searching for these lines in the messages log.

Offline fred

• Global Moderator
  • eFMer
    • View Profile
    • Trails
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 12:05:06 am »
Thanks !

Though I do not have any idea of your actual code, as Boinc client reports the presence of app_config.xml files in projects folders, that should be as simple as searching for these lines in the messages log.
You could set a message highlight e.g. with the text cc_config.xml.
The problem is the BOINC client message buffer is limited, so it wouldn't show when a computer is on for a longer period of time.

Offline ElGuillermo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 07:08:45 am »
Idea :

Here's what I get from the Boinc client when I ask it to re-read the configuration files :

Code: [Select]
75575 yoyo@home 29/04/2022 08:10:06 Found app_config.xml
75574 World Community Grid 29/04/2022 08:10:06 Found app_config.xml
75573 SRBase 29/04/2022 08:10:06 Found app_config.xml
75572 NFS@Home 29/04/2022 08:10:06 Found app_config.xml
[...]
75554 29/04/2022 08:10:06 Re-reading cc_config.xml

To avoid these messages being thrown out of the buffer after a while, you could ask for a config re-reading each time you want to know if the files are detected.
This would be very cheap in terms of CPU time/data transfer, results are known almost instantly and this doesn't affect the calculations.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 07:13:17 am by ElGuillermo »