Boinctasks unable execute an "app" in a rule unless run as administrator

Started by JStateson, February 24, 2023, 01:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

I have a rule that suspends the GPU for 20 seconds then issues a resume.  I use it to restart a hung task.

"c:\Program Files\Boinc\boinccmd.exe" --host h110btc  --set_gpu_mode never
cmd.exe /c timeout.exe /T 20
"c:\Program Files\Boinc\boinccmd.exe" --host h110btc  --set_gpu_mode always

The rule works fine if Boinctasks runs when Windows starts which is the normal case.
It does not work if I run Boinctasks from the desktop shortcut.  I need to specify "run as administrator" else none of the 3 lines of code do anything.

It is inconvenient to have to "run as administrator".  Possibly there is some security setting or ownership change to allow the apps to work without having to run as administrator.  I tried a number of things but they did not help.

Those lines of code are in a script ".cmd" file.  It is not necessary to "run as administrator" if I chose to run the script manually.  However, Boinctasks needs to run as administrator to have the script file work.

fred

Quote from: JStateson on February 24, 2023, 01:53:24 PMThe rule works fine if Boinctasks runs when Windows starts which is the normal case.
It does not work if I run Boinctasks from the desktop shortcut.  I need to specify "run as administrator" else none of the 3 lines of code do anything.
When BoincTasks starts it starts the Boinc client and owns it.
If the client is already running by your command, the ownership probably changes and BoincTasks can no longer access it directly.
It might also be that at startup BoincTasks runs as started by system, not sure.

hucker

You should be able to edit the properties of the desktop shortcut to run as administrator.

fred

Another options is to assign the permissions to the current user.
Right click on boinctasks64.exe and select properties.
Security, select user and edit permissions.