BT 0.39

Started by Pepo, January 19, 2010, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

• After adding a separate thread to the Find Computers dialog, it is finally obvious what's going (or sleeping ;)) on - please add one more edit field with a timeout. (I believe 3-5 seconds (for a very remote hosts, and 1-2 seconds for a LAN) should be mostly sufficient to keep the user a warmy feeling that the search really seems to be progressing.) (Maybe add more working threads for the client search, relative to the timeout length? Like, 3-4 threads for a 10 second timeout.)
  • From the log: "19 január 2010 - 10:40:13 Language ---- User: 1051 (SKY), System: 1051 (SKY), Selected: 6 (DAN) Used: 1051 (SKY)" - what does the "Selected: 6 (DAN)" mean? I have currently the "System" selected.
  • Sometimes my BT is minimised for a couple of hours or even days. After opening the GUI, usually a very outdated information is kept displayed. I can see that BT is counting down while waiting for the next refresh moment, then communicates the new data with BOINC client and redraws what is displayed. Could the redraw be immediately done after reopening a minimized GUI? I guess that the up-to-date info is continuously available. Even the taskbar's Gadget is continuously showing an up-to-date info (a side-effect of being refreshed after Show only over icon for ... seconds is over :)), while the main GUI may be still just counting down for the next update.
Unrelated wish:

• It would be nice if the overall Refresh rate could be overriden for any (usually remote) computer separately in the Computers window - some Refresh column?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 19, 2010, 10:30:31 AM

• After adding a separate thread to the Find Computers dialog, it is finally obvious what's going (or sleeping ;)) on - please add one more edit field with a timeout. (I believe 3-5 seconds (for a very remote hosts, and 1-2 seconds for a LAN) should be mostly sufficient to keep the user a warmy feeling that the search really seems to be progressing.) (Maybe add more working threads for the client search, relative to the timeout length? Like, 3-4 threads for a 10 second timeout.)
  • From the log: "19 január 2010 - 10:40:13 Language ---- User: 1051 (SKY), System: 1051 (SKY), Selected: 6 (DAN) Used: 1051 (SKY)" - what does the "Selected: 6 (DAN)" mean? I have currently the "System" selected.
Unrelated wish:

• It would be nice if the overall Refresh rate could be overriden for any (usually remote) computer separately in the Computers window - some Refresh column?
I tried to add a timeout but for some reason Windows needs this time otherwise you don't get consistent results.
It this case use only the shortest range possible like 1 address. ;D
I could add more threads, but this is something you do only once in a while.
Once again something to check in the selected language, I probably only checked it when there was a language selected. In you case there should be nothing at all.

The last question is the tasks etc refresh rate?

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2010, 10:47:22 AM
It this case use only the shortest range possible like 1 address. ;D
Then I'd not need the whole dialog and would directly add the known address into the Computers dialog ;) and would not need to wait a half minute ;D for confirmation.

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2010, 10:47:22 AM
Quote from: Pepo on January 19, 2010, 10:30:31 AM
Unrelated wish:

The last question is the tasks etc refresh rate?
Yes. Settings / View / Refresh rate is overall, but (because of communication costs etc.) far remote hosts can be mostly reread less-less often than the local ones.

Sorry for my delay, I've later edited my message and added one more item:

• Sometimes my BT is minimised for a couple of hours or even days. After opening the GUI, usually a very outdated information is kept displayed. I can see that BT is counting down while waiting for the next refresh moment, then communicates the new data with BOINC client and redraws what is displayed. Could the redraw be immediately done after reopening a minimized GUI? I guess that the up-to-date info is continuously available. Even the taskbar's Gadget is continuously showing an up-to-date info (a side-effect of being refreshed after Show only over icon for ... seconds is over :)), while the main GUI may be still just counting down for the next update.
Peter

efmer

Quote from: Pepo on January 19, 2010, 10:59:49 AM

Yes. Settings / View / Refresh rate is overall, but (because of communication costs etc.) far remote hosts can be mostly reread less-less often than the local ones.

Sorry for my delay, I've later edited my message and added one more item:

Added to the list an immediate refresh on display.

Corsair

Hi all,

don't know if it's a bug, but it happens to me with xp sp3 spanish x86.

statistic graph ---> nothing selected and not shown "select computer" just blank screen.

now working ---> select computer, selected ---> select projects, selected some, and start
deselecting one, blank screen in graph and no graph is shown.

the CPU is nearly in the border of the frontier of TThrottle, I mean limited to 68º and running
from 67,5º to 68,3º Celsius.

what is happening??  ??? :o
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on January 19, 2010, 10:44:52 PM
Hi all,

don't know if it's a bug, but it happens to me with xp sp3 spanish x86.

statistic graph ---> nothing selected and not shown "select computer" just blank screen.

now working ---> select computer, selected ---> select projects, selected some, and start
deselecting one, blank screen in graph and no graph is shown.

the CPU is nearly in the border of the frontier of TThrottle, I mean limited to 68º and running
from 67,5º to 68,3º Celsius.

what is happening??  ??? :o
1) You mean you have a computer and a project selected?
2) But is that project on that computer?
3) Do you get a blank screen or is there a grid shown
4) What's your TThrottle question.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on January 20, 2010, 07:19:54 AM

1) first not selected, after selecting computer, project, ..
2) Yes
3) the screen where should be the graphics appears pale grey, with no grids, no lines, no nothing.
4) just stating a fact, if could be that TThrottle is throttling BT too and this could be the reason.

Corsair.

Corsair

Hi all,

Help --> update, only active when in tab Tasks, otherwise greyed and not active.

could be done always with right click in the task bar icon.

Corsair.

Pepo

Quote from: Corsair on January 20, 2010, 09:01:07 AM
Help --> update, only active when in tab Tasks, otherwise greyed and not active.

BTW, the Update in the taskbar icon is always active.
And I've just realized that I was always thinking it means "Update projects" ;D Maybe it could state something like "Check for Update" or "Update BoincTasks"?
Peter

Pepo

• Menu entries File -> Start / Stop BOINC Client (localhost) are inactive unless there is an extra window (+ separate connection) for the localhost. If such window exists, the entries are available for both the localhost window and Combined window.

• It should not matter from which window the local client is connected, just whether it is connected (if the Stop BOINC Client (localhost) menu entry availability should depend on it).
    • If the client is stopped, there is no live connection even with the opened localhost window and both menu entries are grayed out anyway. Therefore the Start BOINC Client (localhost) entry should be available at least while there is no live connection to this client. (Maybe it should not be available while the connection is live, or in such case it should be renamed to Restart BOINC Client (localhost)?
  • The first menu entry is named File, although it contains no file-related operations, except maybe the obligatory Exit.
    What about renaming File to BoincTasks? (OK, I know there is BoincTasks_OVERRIDE.btlang...)
Peter

fred

Hi all,

could be done always with right click in the task bar icon.
Noted as a bug.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on January 20, 2010, 08:45:43 AM
Quote from: fred on January 20, 2010, 07:19:54 AM

1) first not selected, after selecting computer, project, ..
2) Yes
3) the screen where should be the graphics appears pale grey, with no grids, no lines, no nothing.
4) just stating a fact, if could be that TThrottle is throttling BT too and this could be the reason.
4) That could be a reason, I can't reproduce it in any way.

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 20, 2010, 09:47:52 AM

BTW, the Update in the taskbar icon is always active.
And I've just realized that I was always thinking it means "Update projects" ;D Maybe it could state something like "Check for Update" or "Update BoincTasks"?
Changed to Update BoincTasks

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 20, 2010, 12:11:30 PM

• Menu entries File -> Start / Stop BOINC Client (localhost) are inactive unless there is an extra window (+ separate connection) for the localhost. If such window exists, the entries are available for both the localhost window and Combined window.

• It should not matter from which window the local client is connected, just whether it is connected (if the Stop BOINC Client (localhost) menu entry availability should depend on it).
    • If the client is stopped, there is no live connection even with the opened localhost window and both menu entries are grayed out anyway. Therefore the Start BOINC Client (localhost) entry should be available at least while there is no live connection to this client. (Maybe it should not be available while the connection is live, or in such case it should be renamed to Restart BOINC Client (localhost)?
  • The first menu entry is named File, although it contains no file-related operations, except maybe the obligatory Exit.
    What about renaming File to BoincTasks? (OK, I know there is BoincTasks_OVERRIDE.btlang...)
Once BT has seen a connection to the localhost the graying is removed.
Combined mode: Closing the window will gray these items.
Single mode: The same, but is grayed out as soon as the localhost window closes.
But if you stop the client close the window with the localhost you can't start it again.
Closing BT and restarting it (with the BOINC start option enabled) should startup the client as well.