News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

A few minor changes

Started by Soulmech, May 30, 2009, 05:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulmech

Let me start off this thread with a few things:

I am a very new user of TThrottle running a 64-bit Vista laptop with an AMD dual-core Turion processor, and I am happy with this program as a whole. It has so far been reliable and helpful. However, there are a few things that I would like to suggest.

• An easy way to add TThrottle to system startup, preferably as a service so that you don't have to login to run the program.
  • A check for whether or not a value for "Set Core" is present when Auto-Active is clicked (gave me an exception when there was no value present)
  • An auto-conversion for "Set Core" when "View degrees in Fahrenheit" is changed. This would help to keep an inattentive user from allowing their system to heat up when the maximum temperature goes from 170F to 170C
  • Whenever TThrottle tries to monitor more than 6 processes at once, it crashes. Given that I have Folding@Home running alongside BOINC alongside P2P clients, I would like to be able to throttle more than 6 processes.

Aside from a few bugs to stamp out, this program is pretty solid. Keep up the good work!

fred

--> A check for whether or not a value for "Set Core" is present when Auto-Active is clicked (gave me an exception when there was no value present)
Thanks I added this to my bug list.
-->An easy way to add TThrottle to system startup, preferably as a service so that you don't have to login to run the program.
For now you have to add it to the "startup" manually so it starts automatically.
But it is on my todo list
-->An auto-conversion for "Set Core" when "View degrees in Fahrenheit" is changed. This would help to keep an inattentive user from allowing their system to heat up when the maximum temperature goes from 170F to 170C
I added this to my bug list.
-->Whenever TThrottle tries to monitor more than 6 processes at once, it crashes. Given that I have Folding@Home running alongside BOINC alongside P2P clients, I would like to be able to throttle more than 6 processes.
This I can't reproduce. I have TThrottle running on a 8 processor system with 2 Gpu's, so that's 10 programs/processes running.
What crashes; TThrottle or a program? Can you give me more details about what happens.

fred

--> A check for whether or not a value for "Set Core" is present when Auto-Active is clicked (gave me an exception when there was no value present)
I can't reproduce this, can you tell me exactly what you did to let TThrottle crash.
But in any case it put in an extra check, in case the box is empty.

Soulmech

Quote from: fred on May 30, 2009, 06:10:41 AM
This I can't reproduce. I have TThrottle running on a 8 processor system with 2 Gpu's, so that's 10 programs/processes running.
What crashes; TThrottle or a program? Can you give me more details about what happens.

TThrottle crashes. Whenever there are more than 6 processes being monitored at any given moment, TThrottle will crash, and Windows will shut it down. If I were to try opening the program again, it will crash, and if I turn Auto-Active on or off, it will crash.

Quote from: fredI can't reproduce this, can you tell me exactly what you did to let TThrottle crash.

All I did was turn on Auto-Active with no value present for Set Core. I had just downloaded the program, and I was clicking things without having read the manual, and I ended up crashing the program with my first click by clicking on Auto Active.

By the way, another issue I found is in the manual. Under the information for the Expert tab, there's no information regarding Tjunction temperature. Also, on the front page of efmer.eu, there is no real way to find this page. At least, no real way that I could find.

miky

I would like TThrotle to be invisible for users so the best solution is to be installed like service. If its not possible, can you hide icon in systray? I will read temperature in BoincTasks.
THX Miky

Pepo

Quote from: miky on May 11, 2011, 06:24:11 AM
I would like TThrotle to be invisible for users so the best solution is to be installed like service. If its not possible, can you hide icon in systray? I will read temperature in BoincTasks.
THX Miky
A TThrottle servise is among plans. No ETA yet AFAIK. But it would be very useful. It could also be used on a multi-user machine with BOINC service installation.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on May 11, 2011, 07:03:06 AM
THX Miky
A TThrottle servise is among plans. No ETA yet AFAIK. But it would be very useful. It could also be used on a multi-user machine with BOINC service installation.
A service installation is too complicated.
What I could do is hide the tray icon as an option.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on May 11, 2011, 04:22:46 PM
Quote from: Pepo on May 11, 2011, 07:03:06 AM
I would like TThrotle to be invisible for users so the best solution is to be installed like service.
A service installation is too complicated.
Would you have any workaround-idea for multi-user (non-admins) machines with service-BOINC (tasks run under boinc_project user) installation? Running their own copies of TThrottle would not work with tasks running under another user's account and for TThrottle running under any admin's account they would lack enough privileges.
Peter

fred

THX Miky
The next version 3.60 will have a setting for, access as administrator only.
This will prohibit any other users to access the TThrottle dialog.