BT 0.40

Started by Corsair, January 25, 2010, 04:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corsair

Hi all,

marvellous,

"Extra" ---> "Auto start-up with" not translated.

"CPU% long time average" a little explanation, in English, about, on that way I could translate correctly.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on January 25, 2010, 04:18:27 PM
Hi all,

marvellous,

"Extra" ---> "Auto start-up with" not translated.

"CPU% long time average" a little explanation, in English, about, on that way I could translate correctly.
What's in a sentence, I had some problems with the wording myself.
CPU % in that mode (checked) takes the time over the entire period from start to finish. So the CPU % is measured over an ever increasing time period.
So it's the average over a long period of time.
The other (not checked) mode uses a shorter time period of about 10 refresh cycles back.

The extra menu text that is not translated is on the bug list.

Corsair

OK, thanks it's quite good the explanation, I'll try now with the proper translation.

Corsair.

Corsair

after a crash of the explorer the icons for TThrottle and BoincTasks are not restored in the task bar.

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on January 25, 2010, 08:53:11 PM
after a crash of the explorer the icons for TThrottle and BoincTasks are not restored in the task bar.
Windows.... That's actually a pretty serious crash of the explorer.exe and that's about everything on the desktop and the file explorer and a lot more.
I've seen this before and done some research, there should be a way to display the icon again.
A bit of dirty programming... ;D Something for the next version.

Pepo

A serious issue with "Start BOINC Client (localhost)" - my clients are running as a service. But BT has started it as it's child process, under my username and access rights instead of those of boinc_master. Afterwards, the applications started to be repeatedly launched and were dying immediately...
I suspect that after some hardcoded number of unsuccessful attempts (IIRC 200 or so) to launch an application, the client will discard the failing task data and download another one.

BT should probably distinguish between the "Protected app execution" (a.k.a "service") and "not protected" (the plain old way, IIRC (still) necesary for GPGPU?) installation types. And use "net start boinc" equivalent in the first case.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 25, 2010, 10:03:48 PM
A serious issue with "Start BOINC Client (localhost)" - my clients are running as a service. But BT has started it as it's child process, under my username and access rights instead of those of boinc_master. Afterwards, the applications started to be repeatedly launched and were dying immediately...
I suspect that after some hardcoded number of unsuccessful attempts (IIRC 200 or so) to launch an application, the client will discard the failing task data and download another one.

BT should probably distinguish between the "Protected app execution" (a.k.a "service") and "not protected" (the plain old way, IIRC (still) necesary for GPGPU?) installation types. And use "net start boinc" equivalent in the first case.
Most programs are going over the the user side. BOINC itself doesn't install as a service anymore for a long time. Even the video driver moved over.
And BoincTasks starts the BOINC client locally but only when it's not running and only once. It's done the same way BOINC Manager does it.
But I put in a note in the list to check for service installations.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 26, 2010, 07:58:21 AM
Quote from: Pepo on January 25, 2010, 10:03:48 PM
BT should distinguish between the "Protected app execution" (a.k.a "service") and "not protected" (the plain old way, IIRC (still) necesary for GPGPU?) installation types. And use "net start boinc" equivalent in the first case.

[...] BOINC itself doesn't install as a service anymore for a long time.
:o  :o  :o
     ???
And what do you think was the reason for the complete rewrite of the BOINC graphics app subsystem some 1-2 years ago? Security. Sandboxing of BOINC and the science applications.
The intention is/was to quit runing BOINC apps under user's account (which might have enough privileges and power to be able destroy a lot in the system, if some app goes wild or is even intentionally harmful), and this was the reason why the unprivileged accounts boinc_master and boinc_project were introduced, launching the while BOINC process tree as a system service.

The non-service installation type was left as a compatibility mode. (And in some cases (I remember interaction with CUDA drivers) it even did not work from the sandbox.)

QuoteEven the video driver moved over.
Do you mean the graphics applications?

QuoteAnd BoincTasks starts the BOINC client locally but only when it's not running and only once. It's done the same way BOINC Manager does it.
But I put in a note in the list to check for service installations.
If BOINC is installed in the "protected way" (as a service), BOINC Manager is starting it as a service, not as it's own child. Just the graphics applications are launched as Manager's child rocesses.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Corsair on January 25, 2010, 08:53:11 PM
Solved in V 0.41, messy, but it works.
Testing: Use the task manager and delete the process explorer.exe. Using File -> Run (Task Manager) start explorer.exe. Beware of the risks. ;D

Pepo

Quoteafter a crash of the explorer the icons for TThrottle and BoincTasks are not restored in the task bar.
Solved in V 0.41, messy, but it works.
Good work :)
Peter