Unable to connect to a Windows 7 machine (solved!)

Started by pcenginefx, March 04, 2010, 05:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcenginefx

Hi - this is driving me crazy and I hope you can help.

- I have BoincTasks running on a Windows 7 PC and it reads itself fine (using Boinc manager 6.10.18).
- BoincTasks connects to my XP PC on my network just fine (again, same version Boinc manager)
- BoincTasks won't connect to my other Windows 7 PC at all.  Same version Boinc manager, and I went through the troubleshooting guide and everything to triple check, with same result.  All the BoincTasks log says is "connection error".

I'm betting anything that this has something to do with the networking aspect of Windows 7 - I've disabled the firewall, added the proper port, pinged both PC's (they see each other fine)...I can even transfer files between both machines...I just can't get BoincTasks to work :(

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?  Only other thing I can think of is that I'm running Win 7 64-bit on the host and Win7 32-bit on the client (but that shouldn't make a difference??)

Thanks,
-Aaron

fred

Quote from: pcenginefx on March 04, 2010, 05:06:20 AM
Hi - this is driving me crazy and I hope you can help.

- I have BoincTasks running on a Windows 7 PC and it reads itself fine (using Boinc manager 6.10.18).
- BoincTasks connects to my XP PC on my network just fine (again, same version Boinc manager)
- BoincTasks won't connect to my other Windows 7 PC at all.  Same version Boinc manager, and I went through the troubleshooting guide and everything to triple check, with same result.  All the BoincTasks log says is "connection error".

I'm betting anything that this has something to do with the networking aspect of Windows 7 - I've disabled the firewall, added the proper port, pinged both PC's (they see each other fine)...I can even transfer files between both machines...I just can't get BoincTasks to work :(

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?  Only other thing I can think of is that I'm running Win 7 64-bit on the host and Win7 32-bit on the client (but that shouldn't make a difference??)

Thanks,
-Aaron

Go to computers -> find computers.
See if BOINC gets a v for detected.
Next try putting in the address in the address range and give a address range of the single computer only.
Hit "Scan address range" and see what you get.

Look in the log of the remote machine with BoincManager or BoincTasks at the remote machine. See if there is any report about the connection.

It should work on a remote machine with Windows 7.

pcenginefx

Wow, thank you for the quick reply - much appreciated.

After looking the entire thing over again, I figured out what was wrong.

For a Win7 32-bit install, the BOINC client installs into 2 directories:
c:\Program Files\BOINC &
c:\ProgramData\BOINC

The data directory is the first directory, under "Program Files".  It looks like the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file wasn't installed there but to the ProgramData dir.  Sorry about that...should have noticed the file wasn't in the right dir.  After I moved the file over to the proper directory, the client saw and connected to the machine just fine.

fred