help, i cant get BoincTask to work

Started by Manneysoft, March 25, 2010, 10:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manneysoft

Hi

i'm new here, i downloaded boinc task. and installed. after opening for the first time it worked for a few seconds for my local computer i.e the computer it was installed on. but then now i cant get anything to work.

when i go to find computers, i find all 3 of my computers but when i check the box to select the computer, it unchecks it self as soon as i check it. this is realy frustrating. someone please help me. :'( :'( :'(

Is it possiable that my norton is blocking the programme? also how do i find the port which my bonic client works on?

Thanks

Manney

fred

Quote from: Manneysoft on March 25, 2010, 10:19:48 AM
Hi

i'm new here, i downloaded boinc task. and installed. after opening for the first time it worked for a few seconds for my local computer i.e the computer it was installed on. but then now i cant get anything to work.

when i go to find computers, i find all 3 of my computers but when i check the box to select the computer, it unchecks it self as soon as i check it. this is realy frustrating. someone please help me. :'( :'( :'(

Is it possiable that my norton is blocking the programme? also how do i find the port which my bonic client works on?

Thanks

Manney
If find doesn't set a check (v) that indicated it found BOINC or TThrottle you can't check the computer.
You did read this: http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=109.0
Don't set any port values unless you know exactly what you are doing. And set the same port on BOINC as well. The value is 31416
First try to get it to work on your local machine, that should always work. The firewall will be the most likely suspect.
What do you see when you start BoincTasks, at the title bar of the program, not connected? Password?

Make sure your computer ip address is localhost the port field is empty and the password field is empty.
Goto Help -> Show Log and check enable debug mode.
Exit BoincTasks and start BoincTasks again.

Look for this line Computer = localhost get local password:

Manneysoft

hi

i do get this msg.

"Unable to write to xml file, c:\documents and settings/manney/Aplication data/eFMer/BoincTasks/computers.xmlLook in help->Show Log for more details."

Thanks

fred

Quote from: Manneysoft on March 25, 2010, 11:37:22 PM
hi

i do get this msg.

"Unable to write to xml file, c:\documents and settings/manney/Aplication data/eFMer/BoincTasks/computers.xmlLook in help->Show Log for more details."

Thanks

Hmm, for some reason that folder isn't there.
Can you tell me if there is a folder there?
You can add an alternative existing folder in the extra->BoincTasks settings -> expert and check "override default (xml) folder"

glennaxl

Quote from: fred on March 26, 2010, 05:31:01 AM
You can add an alternative existing folder in the extra->BoincTasks settings -> expert and check "override default (xml) folder"
This setting Must not contain space; If path has space, then it needs to be in 8.3 format. eg. Program files -> Progra~1

It doesn't work for me if it has space(s).

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on March 26, 2010, 02:15:03 PM
Quote from: fred on March 26, 2010, 05:31:01 AM
This setting Must not contain space; If path has space, then it needs to be in 8.3 format. eg. Program files -> Progra~1

It doesn't work for me if it has space(s).
What OS?

fred

I now use a different way to get the user folder, this should solve all these problems. (V 0.47)
And ... I added an extra check to make sure the folder is accessible, before using it.
This should now generate an error in the log if it is not accessible.

Manneysoft

where does this save its settings? i want to completly remove it and reinstall it then try what u told me.
because nothing seems to be happening, i tried on my other computer and the first time you install it work for the installed computer. then when you go to add another computer it stop working.

i tried unstalling it useing windows add or remove, but my settings were all still there. i'm useing windows vista 64 bit.
and another problem was, see how the xml file it was trying to access was on the drive c, i have two operating systems on this computer windows xp and windows vista. the local drive for xp is c, but the local drive for vista is G:\. i installed bonic task on my vista os, the local drive for the boinc tasks should be G:\ just to let you know. but i do have access to both drives no matter what OS i'm useing.

fred

Quote from: Manneysoft on March 27, 2010, 12:26:40 PM
where does this save its settings? i want to completly remove it and reinstall it then try what u told me.
because nothing seems to be happening, i tried on my other computer and the first time you install it work for the installed computer. then when you go to add another computer it stop working.

i tried unstalling it useing windows add or remove, but my settings were all still there. i'm useing windows vista 64 bit.
and another problem was, see how the xml file it was trying to access was on the drive c, i have two operating systems on this computer windows xp and windows vista. the local drive for xp is c, but the local drive for vista is G:\. i installed bonic task on my vista os, the local drive for the boinc tasks should be G:\ just to let you know. but i do have access to both drives no matter what OS i'm useing.
Remove: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer So remove the eFMer folder completely.
In the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks. So remove teh BoincTasks folder completely.

But maybe you should wait for the next 0.47 release scheduled for March 28. Hopefully this version will solve this problem.