BT 0.47

Started by jjwhalen, March 29, 2010, 12:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on April 02, 2010, 05:26:49 PM
Quote from: fred on April 01, 2010, 11:18:02 PM
Ok I made a note.
They stay that way until the project is updated & the client reports them as download error. But when does the download error appear, when the project refreshes of when BoincTasks refreshes.

Any task with Status "Downloading" but Progress %=100.00 is suspect, since they are mutually exclusive.  Also the color is the "Ready to report" instead of the "Upload/Download."  The download failure is confirmed by looking at the client's message stream.  The task never indicates on the BT Tasks tab with an error status but continues to shpw as above.  When the project is Updated the task disappears from the Tasks tab.  In the project server's database it shows up as a download error.
Hmm, somethings are handled a bit strange. I've never seen a download error, so it will be difficult to test. But I will take a closer look at it.

Corsair

still afloat in Venice, supposed to go on shore leaves on Monday/Tuesday.

this version, but I think is a bug from BOINC

Starting BOINC client version 6.10.36 for windows_intelx86

now I could only run in one computer, as I have no network here on board, just only the laptop.

I always run BT and sometimes I run together the BOINC Manager, sometimes happens that BOINC manager stopped working and not crunching at all, saying something that not connected. ?? if I run only BT use not to have this fix.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on April 02, 2010, 07:32:59 PM
Hmm, somethings are handled a bit strange. I've never seen a download error, so it will be difficult to test. But I will take a closer look at it.

I tried reproducing the problem by aborting downloads in progress, but these are handled differently (as aborted by user...duh!).  I also analyzed the BT History for the past couple of weeks and didn't find any listings for these WUs at all, either correctly or incorrectly annotated.  Which is to say:

• Einstein task AND [download error or something similar]
  • Einstein task AND [Reported: OK] [Elapsed time at zero or unbelievably short]
The only Einstein tasks in my History looked like they ran an appropriate ET and completed normally.

Apparently this condition must be triggered by a CRC mismatch on a result's component file or some such.  I wish I could remember the Status listing for this in BOINCManager, but I can't.  That would probably tell us what the XML from the client actually says.  I'll fool around with pulling the (network) plug during a download and see what I can come up with.  PrimeGrid has some (sieve) applications that use really long input data files, and it shouldn't be too much trouble to break one of them during download.

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on April 02, 2010, 08:12:33 PM
still afloat in Venice, supposed to go on shore leaves on Monday/Tuesday.

this version, but I think is a bug from BOINC

Starting BOINC client version 6.10.36 for windows_intelx86

now I could only run in one computer, as I have no network here on board, just only the laptop.

I always run BT and sometimes I run together the BOINC Manager, sometimes happens that BOINC manager stopped working and not crunching at all, saying something that not connected. ?? if I run only BT use not to have this fix.

6.10.36 is no longer the default download version It had a couple of bugs so they are back to 6.10.18.
But what happens as I'm using 6.10.36 here on my LT without any problems.
Does BOINC Manager loses connection and BT not?

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on April 02, 2010, 09:05:09 PM
Quote from: fred on April 02, 2010, 07:32:59 PM

I tried reproducing the problem by aborting downloads in progress, but these are handled differently (as aborted by user).  I also analyzed the BT History for the past couple of weeks and didn't find any listings for these WUs at all, either correctly or incorrectly annotated.  Which is to say:

• Einstein task AND [download error or something similar]
  • Einstein task AND [Reported: OK] [Elapsed time at zero or unbelievably short]
The only Einstein tasks in my History looked like they ran an appropriate ET and completed normally.

Apparently this condition must be triggered by a CRC mismatch on a result's component file or some such.  I wish I could remember the Status listing for this in BOINCManager, but I can't.  That would probably tell us what the XML from the client actually says.  I'll fool around with pulling the (network) plug during a download and see what I can come up with.  PrimeGrid has some (sieve) applications that use really long input data files, and it shouldn't be too much trouble to break one of them during download.

Best wishes.

They are probably never really considered tasks as they never arrived on you computer.
The problem is that the BOINC client doesn't report a status in this case.
When I'm back I will try to simulate an error.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on April 02, 2010, 09:15:37 PM
6.10.36 is no longer the default download version It had a couple of bugs so they are back to 6.10.18.
Does BOINC Manager loses connection and BT not?

I know that is not the "Official", but when downloaded was, at this moment, I have not so good connection to download again.

when BOINC loss the connection BT too.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

wicked

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks\sorting]
"transfer_p"=dword:00000200
"project_p"=dword:00000100
"history_p"=dword:00000106
"tasks_p"=dword:00000100
"tasks_s"=dword:00000106
"project_s"=dword:00000205
"tasks_t"=dword:000000ff
"history_s"=dword:00000204
"project_t"=dword:00000109
"transfer_s"=dword:00000106
"transfer_t"=dword:000000ff

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on April 02, 2010, 09:15:37 PM
--SNIP--
I had stability problems with BOINC 6.10.36 (32-bit), and backed out of it almost immediately.  6.10.43 is up on their download page, but still as a beta.  I'm running 6.10.43 (both 32-bit & 64-bit versions) for 10 days, and they appear stable so far.  But 6.10.18 remains the "recommended version" for Windows, as it has been since Nov 2009.

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on April 02, 2010, 05:26:49 PM
Quote from: fred on April 01, 2010, 11:18:02 PM
Ok I made a note.
They stay that way until the project is updated & the client reports them as download error. But when does the download error appear, when the project refreshes of when BoincTasks refreshes.

Any task with Status "Downloading" but Progress %=100.00 is suspect, since they are mutually exclusive.  Also the color is the "Ready to report" instead of the "Upload/Download."  The download failure is confirmed by looking at the client's message stream.  The task never indicates on the BT Tasks tab with an error status but continues to shpw as above.  When the project is Updated the task disappears from the Tasks tab.  In the project server's database it shows up as a download error.
I will change the following: When status is downloading and % = 100 then status is download error with the error color.

glennaxl

Tasks percentage is quite off. BT says 2.626% while BM says 0%

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on April 04, 2010, 11:09:15 PM
Tasks percentage is quite off. BT says 2.626% while BM says 0%

On purpose a lot of users sort on Percentage.
When percentage is 0, and that's almost impossible after more than 2 minutes for a 98 minutes run.
The percentage is the time left / elapsed time and that's about as good a guess as .....

fred

Quote from: fred on March 30, 2010, 10:57:52 PM
Quote from: glennaxl on March 29, 2010, 04:13:51 PM
1st:
Task -> Status: It doesn't show waiting for memory but instead it will show waiting to run.

2nd:
History: If you change the computer name, it will create a new file (by design as stated in the FAQ), thus losing your history. Can it be made that the history stayed intact after rename?
1 Added to the list.
2 I will change this as on the todo list, but it's a bit complicated and I will wait, until I rewrite the computer part as a tab.
1) Can you give me a description of your settings in that case, as I don't use this feature.
And what is the BOINC manager reporting and where.
2) V 0.51 fixed and it was indeed rather complicated to implement.

glennaxl

Quote from: fred on April 17, 2010, 11:43:29 PM
Quote from: fred on March 30, 2010, 10:57:52 PM
Quote from: glennaxl on March 29, 2010, 04:13:51 PM
1st:
Task -> Status: It doesn't show waiting for memory but instead it will show waiting to run.

2nd:
History: If you change the computer name, it will create a new file (by design as stated in the FAQ), thus losing your history. Can it be made that the history stayed intact after rename?
1 Added to the list.
2 I will change this as on the todo list, but it's a bit complicated and I will wait, until I rewrite the computer part as a tab.
1) Can you give me a description of your settings in that case, as I don't use this feature.
And what is the BOINC manager reporting and where.
2) V 0.51 fixed and it was indeed rather complicated to implement.
1)Waiting for memory -> would show in BOINC Manager if you don't have enough memory to run the science application.
I have 6GB of ram but its not enough to run 8 apps of WCG DDDT2 whc runs about 512MB physical and 600+MB virtual (my prefs is use 100%).
To replicate this, you must run lots of apps (non-BOINC) that you will have less physical ram available or set your prefs to use like 10% ram.
Here's the description of "waiting for memory"