Block select [Shift+click]

Started by jjwhalen, April 22, 2010, 10:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

I noticed during the discussion of glenaxl's Shift+click bug: you said
Quoteselect the first item, press shift and select the last,
which of course is exactly right 8)  The thing is, I've noticed that on the Task, Transfers, Messages or History tabs, you can block select rows either from the top down or bottom up.  But on the Projects tab you can only select a block of rows from the top down--bottom up will not work.  But on any tab you can Ctrl+click (extended select) in either direction.

I'm posing this as a question rather than a bug, because I'm just curious--what is different about the Projects list from the other tabs that makes it behave this way?  I've always assumed that BT uses a simple spreadsheet- or flat file database-type table structure, to allow for the various datatypes you have to display and manipulate.  (Don't feel obligated to disclose any "trade secrets") ;D

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on April 22, 2010, 10:59:08 PM
I noticed during the discussion of glenaxl's Shift+click bug: you said
Quoteselect the first item, press shift and select the last,
which of course is exactly right 8)  The thing is, I've noticed that on the Task, Transfers, Messages or History tabs, you can block select rows either from the top down or bottom up.  But on the Projects tab you can only select a block of rows from the top down--bottom up will not work.  But on any tab you can Ctrl+click (extended select) in either direction.

I'm posing this as a question rather than a bug, because I'm just curious--what is different about the Projects list from the other tabs that makes it behave this way?  I've always assumed that BT uses a simple spreadsheet- or flat file database-type table structure, to allow for the various datatypes you have to display and manipulate.  (Don't feel obligated to disclose any "trade secrets") ;D

Best wishes.
I was just working on that and noticed the bug in the projects. I changed something more in the selection. for all other tabs to make it more consistent with Windows. See the change list.

No it's not that simple as with a spreadsheet. BT uses the MFC (C++) highly adapted class CListViewEx. It connects to the Window API, as this sort of list are quite common, so it's part of the OS, sort of.
Most tabs use a selection class that handles all the selection stuff. But somethings make selection more complicated, like the tasks list that is constantly changing.
So I have to lock on a specific task and computer to keep the selection synchronized.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on April 23, 2010, 12:19:39 AM
--SNIP--

I was just working on that and noticed the bug in the projects. I changed something more in the selection. for all other tabs to make it more consistent with Windows. See the change list.

No it's not that simple as with a spreadsheet. BT uses the MFC (C++) highly adapted class CListViewEx. It connects to the Window API, as this sort of list are quite common, so it's part of the OS, sort of.
Most tabs use a selection class that handles all the selection stuff. But somethings make selection more complicated, like the tasks list that is constantly changing.
So I have to lock on a specific task and computer to keep the selection synchronized.

Ahh. . .good answer, thanks.  I had the ToDo list up on a 2nd browser tab as I was drafting the question, and right after I posted I refreshed and saw the new entries for v0.52.  I said "wherever Fred is, he must've been reading my mind." :o  Scary ;D

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on April 23, 2010, 06:16:34 AM
Ahh. . .good answer, thanks.  I had the ToDo list up on a 2nd browser tab as I was drafting the question, and right after I posted I refreshed and saw the new entries for v0.52.  I said "wherever Fred is, he must've been reading my mind." :o  Scary ;D
Must be the Sedona ca redrocks.