BT 0.52

Started by glennaxl, April 27, 2010, 09:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archae86

Quote from: fred on April 29, 2010, 07:51:44 PM
As soon as this happens.
Make sure the task view is visible.
Disable TThrottle communication in the setup dialog.
Go to help -> show log.
Click on the log dialog and type in magic  In the bottom of the dialog it should show "full debug" and keep it there for a minute or 2 and copy everything in the log and send it to me.
I did not have an episode for about a day, but did have one this morning.

Sequence of observations:
9:46 a.m., clicked on BoincTasks Task Bar icon, regular BT 0.52 window came up promptly, looked normal, but the status box (third from right at on the bottom row), which usually says "updating very briefly, then a count-down from 5 seconds to next update, instead said "switched, busy" for a while, perhaps 20 seconds.
Then it changed to "updating..." but held that steady past 9:49 (i.e. at least three minutes, with no actual change to the displayed accumulated CPU time, etc.).

I tried to follow your directions, but had difficultly copying and pasting the contents of the log window.  I can describe what was there, however, one line per second, all reading in a steady sequence, so showing just three I now find I can copy having stopped the logging will give the gist: 30 April 2010 - 09:52:11 OnTimerDlg ---- m_bThreadBusy: 0, m_bThreadHistoryBusy: 1, m_iTrickleWuTimer: 5, m_iTrickleMessageTimer: 3395, m_iUpdateWuTimer: 3413
30 April 2010 - 09:52:12 OnTimerDlg ---- m_bThreadBusy: 0, m_bThreadHistoryBusy: 1, m_iTrickleWuTimer: 5, m_iTrickleMessageTimer: 3396, m_iUpdateWuTimer: 3414
30 April 2010 - 09:52:13 OnTimerDlg ---- m_bThreadBusy: 0, m_bThreadHistoryBusy: 1, m_iTrickleWuTimer: 5, m_iTrickleMessageTimer: 3397, m_iUpdateWuTimer: 3415

I then tried to kill BT using the "End" command on the popup menu from the tray icon, sometime around 9:53 a.m.  As of 9:59 a.m. it still had not in fact exited.
At 10:00 a.m. I killed it from Process Explorer.

I suspect Corsair's comment about this being associated with hosts which have dropped out of communication, at least temporarily, has truth in it.  But when I relaunched BT 0.52 at 10:02 a.m. it promptly acquired data from all five of the hosts listed in the "all computer" list.  So I am not at all confident that whichever of my hosts it may have had trouble seeing for a while stayed inaccessible to it for the entire episode of 15 minutes, and just happened to resume accessibility within the next minute or two.

fred

Quote from: archae86 on April 30, 2010, 04:07:33 PM
Quote from: fred on April 29, 2010, 07:51:44 PM
As soon as this happens.
Make sure the task view is visible.
Disable TThrottle communication in the setup dialog.
Go to help -> show log.
Click on the log dialog and type in magic  In the bottom of the dialog it should show "full debug" and keep it there for a minute or 2 and copy everything in the log and send it to me.
I did not have an episode for about a day, but did have one this morning.

Sequence of observations:
9:46 a.m., clicked on BoincTasks Task Bar icon, regular BT 0.52 window came up promptly, looked normal, but the status box (third from right at on the bottom row), which usually says "updating very briefly, then a count-down from 5 seconds to next update, instead said "switched, busy" for a while, perhaps 20 seconds.
Then it changed to "updating..." but held that steady past 9:49 (i.e. at least three minutes, with no actual change to the displayed accumulated CPU time, etc.).

I tried to follow your directions, but had difficultly copying and pasting the contents of the log window.  I can describe what was there, however, one line per second, all reading in a steady sequence, so showing just three I now find I can copy having stopped the logging will give the gist: 30 April 2010 - 09:52:11 OnTimerDlg ---- m_bThreadBusy: 0, m_bThreadHistoryBusy: 1, m_iTrickleWuTimer: 5, m_iTrickleMessageTimer: 3395, m_iUpdateWuTimer: 3413
30 April 2010 - 09:52:12 OnTimerDlg ---- m_bThreadBusy: 0, m_bThreadHistoryBusy: 1, m_iTrickleWuTimer: 5, m_iTrickleMessageTimer: 3396, m_iUpdateWuTimer: 3414
30 April 2010 - 09:52:13 OnTimerDlg ---- m_bThreadBusy: 0, m_bThreadHistoryBusy: 1, m_iTrickleWuTimer: 5, m_iTrickleMessageTimer: 3397, m_iUpdateWuTimer: 3415

I then tried to kill BT using the "End" command on the popup menu from the tray icon, sometime around 9:53 a.m.  As of 9:59 a.m. it still had not in fact exited.
At 10:00 a.m. I killed it from Process Explorer.

I suspect Corsair's comment about this being associated with hosts which have dropped out of communication, at least temporarily, has truth in it.  But when I relaunched BT 0.52 at 10:02 a.m. it promptly acquired data from all five of the hosts listed in the "all computer" list.  So I am not at all confident that whichever of my hosts it may have had trouble seeing for a while stayed inaccessible to it for the entire episode of 15 minutes, and just happened to resume accessibility within the next minute or two.

I will make some changes to remove not connected computers form retrying.
It may be that the computer was assigned another IP address or that the connection was lost for some time.

In order to copy type in magic again, so the logging stops and you will be able to copy the logging.

fred

The freeze problem should be solved in V 0.53.

If not .... I changed the debug logging.

Go to C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log and open log.xml with a simple text editor (plain text).

To enable the right logging change the following 0 -> 1  <tasks> 1 </tasks>

Restart BoincTasks. Wait for the problem to appear... and go to help->show log  check "enable debug mode" (no more magic this time)

Let it run for about 5 minutes with the Tasks view visible.

Copy the log file that's in the user folder datenumber.log and mail it to me. (This is a plain text file.)
b#o#i#n#c at efmer.eu (leave out the # and at = @