Members that will be removed

Started by fred, June 11, 2010, 04:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

The following members will be removed:

All members that have never posted and haven't been on-line for 365 days.
All members that have never logged in. (within a week).
All members that have never posted and are on http://www.stopforumspam.com/

This leaves only us the active board members. ;D

Pepo

Quote from: fred on June 11, 2010, 04:33:15 PM

What about giving just these a chance and send a PM? It could widen the active userbase.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on June 11, 2010, 07:27:15 PM

What about giving just these a chance and send a PM? It could widen the active userbase.
These are members that never logged in, so they never set anything, never changed the profile.
The number of span is really high, so I have to do something.
As you have seen other boards like Lunatics are completely closed, probably got similar problems.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on June 12, 2010, 09:26:09 AM
Quote from: Pepo on June 11, 2010, 07:27:15 PM

These are members that never logged in, so they never set anything, never changed the profile.
The number of span is really high, so I have to do something.
As you have seen other boards like Lunatics are completely closed, probably got similar problems.
it looks like that in lunatics it has been really very bad with nearly everything, as per info in the forum.  >:(

I still don't understand why this kind of people is granted with and Internet access  ;D
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on June 12, 2010, 02:16:43 PM
it looks like that in lunatics it has been really very bad with nearly everything, as per info in the forum.  >:(

I still don't understand why this kind of people is granted with and Internet access  ;D
Not only people and they get payed to do this, but a lot of automated systems as well.
Lots of free unlimited email accounts. ;D

They place links, more often they add a signature, with advertising links.
The way Search engines like Google work. The more relevant the site the link is on, the higher on the search results and that's worth money.

And of course, there are a lot of lunatics around, who just want to post random messages....

Pepo

I've seen that this forum gets over 100 new accounts created monthly, yet there are just 117 accounts. Everything gets deleted as inactive? (Stop Forum Spam's API seems to be somehow out of order since the end of last year?)
Peter

borsti67

hopefully it's just the stats which is out of order...! :(
cu/2
Borsti :D

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 25, 2010, 06:19:28 PM
I've seen that this forum gets over 100 new accounts created monthly, yet there are just 117 accounts. Everything gets deleted as inactive? (Stop Forum Spam's API seems to be somehow out of order since the end of last year?)
Yep a lottttt of Spam.
1) When on the list they will be deleted at once.
2) The suspected onces are forced to activate the account, this blocks a lot of automated automated Spam.
3) I check accounts with 0 posts, when someone doesn't post but adds a signature with an obvious add, the account is placed on the Spam list.
4) Accounts that are never activated are deleted after a week.
5) Those who don't log in for a year and have never posted are deleted.
6) Still some real users are added from time to time. ;D

All in all a lot of work on my side. I don't know if I can keep up with this, because it seems to be getting worse. Getting to to the dozens each day.

jjwhalen

danny87

coolstream

I have never looked at this thread before, but one question I have is about
QuoteAll members that have never logged in. (within a week).

What about people on vacation? Isn't a week rather severe and perhaps adding more work for you than neccessary?

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 07, 2011, 04:37:23 PM
What about people on vacation? Isn't a week rather severe and perhaps adding more work for you than neccessary?
It's when you create the account to the time you click on the email link.
Normally this is within a few minutes.

Spam machines sometimes can't respond to the email, they expect instant creation. The simple ones that is.
I added 3 simple question that anyone can answer, without thinking, but the machine can't. :o
Like this one: Forum starts with the letter? (hint F).
This changed things from almost 100 a day to close to zero.

thebestjaspreet

Quote from: fred on September 07, 2011, 05:19:38 PM
Quote from: coolstream on September 07, 2011, 04:37:23 PM
It's when you create the account to the time you click on the email link.
Normally this is within a few minutes.

Spam machines sometimes can't respond to the email, they expect instant creation. The simple ones that is.
I added 3 simple question that anyone can answer, without thinking, but the machine can't. :o

Good.But I am yet to understand how come humans are so intelligent than machines.This move is really appreciable. :D
"I always win law permanently"

Pepo

Quote from: thebestjaspreet on October 08, 2011, 03:08:42 AM
Good.But I am yet to understand how come humans are so intelligent than machines.This move is really appreciable. :D
A human would read the question and think about an answer, then type it in.
A (spam) machine might not expect any question in the account creation form - its programmer would have to think about it, perhaps to see it to be aware, then re-program the machine with possible ways how fred's questions might look like and where to find a possible answer in it. (That's the first approximation.) After thirteen itarations between fred and the spam machine author, he might give some more thorough "artificial intelligence" a try... but I suppose it would not be worth when trying to spam eFMer forums  ::)
Peter

thebestjaspreet

Quote from: Pepo on October 10, 2011, 09:25:33 AM
Quote from: thebestjaspreet on October 08, 2011, 03:08:42 AM
A human would read the question and think about an answer, then type it in.
A (spam) machine might not expect any question in the account creation form - its programmer would have to think about it, perhaps to see it to be aware, then re-program the machine with possible ways how fred's questions might look like and where to find a possible answer in it. (That's the first approximation.) After thirteen itarations between fred and the spam machine author, he might give some more thorough "artificial intelligence" a try... but I suppose it would not be worth when trying to spam eFMer forums  ::)

Thanks for your scientific and reasonable prompt response. That is why humans have  control over machines. ;D
"I always win law permanently"