Use field

Started by wicked, July 23, 2010, 02:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicked

Hello,

1) A while back I complained about numerous non-CPU intensive FreeHAL WUs taking too much space. There was a change later to make FreeHAL WUs say "Use 0.025C" because previously they didn't say anything. Now, they have added CPU-intensive WUs and actually have one WU limit. So no even the CPU-intensive jobs are marked as "Use 0.025C" in BoincTasks. :( One could detect non-CPU intensive WUs from Name that starts with fh_nci_ and CPU intensive that start with fh_ci_. Not sure if it's a good idea to try detect these or just remove any special code dealing with FreeHAL.. They really should fix their reporting errors.

2) Any zero digits seems to be removed in Use field. This is good, because "0.05C + 1NV" is much nicer. However, it seems it doesn't work when you have more than one required resources. For example, I can see "0.75C + 2.00NV" or "1C + 3.00NV". Hopefully it also supports ATI cards as I'm about to add such beasts to my arsenal. :)

fred

Quote from: wicked on July 23, 2010, 02:15:51 PM
Hello,

1) A while back I complained about numerous non-CPU intensive FreeHAL WUs taking too much space. There was a change later to make FreeHAL WUs say "Use 0.025C" because previously they didn't say anything. Now, they have added CPU-intensive WUs and actually have one WU limit. So no even the CPU-intensive jobs are marked as "Use 0.025C" in BoincTasks. :( One could detect non-CPU intensive WUs from Name that starts with fh_nci_ and CPU intensive that start with fh_ci_. Not sure if it's a good idea to try detect these or just remove any special code dealing with FreeHAL.. They really should fix their reporting errors.

2) Any zero digits seems to be removed in Use field. This is good, because "0.05C + 1NV" is much nicer. However, it seems it doesn't work when you have more than one required resources. For example, I can see "0.75C + 2.00NV" or "1C + 3.00NV". Hopefully it also supports ATI cards as I'm about to add such beasts to my arsenal. :)
A project can be non CPU intensive. Probably something from the old days.
The use / resource is more accurate and can be assigned to any number of applications.
When a project is non CPU intensive and gives no resource information BT inserts 0.05C, because for some rules and warnings it needs a value there.
FreeHALL should comply to the rules and remove the non CPU i from the project and add the real recourses it uses.
But at FreeHALL they do other strange things.
This also messes up BOINC in assuming the CPU task takes up little time.

BOINC supports ATI and so does BT.
And to make sure there is no special FreeHALL code in BT.

2) There is no such thing as 0 a CPU always uses something. All other values are assigned by the project / task.

wicked

Quote from: fred on July 23, 2010, 03:55:04 PM
1) A while back I complained about numerous non-CPU intensive FreeHAL WUs taking too much space. There was a change later to make FreeHAL WUs say "Use 0.025C" because previously they didn't say anything. Now, they have added CPU-intensive WUs and
When a project is non CPU intensive and gives no resource information BT inserts 0.05C, because for some rules and warnings it needs a value there.
FreeHALL should comply to the rules and remove the non CPU i from the project and add the real recourses it uses.

Ah, okay, I just thought you specifically detected FreeHALL and inserted 0.05C there but looks like you are (correctly) detecting the "non-cpu intensive" flag of the project and then inserting 0.05C (if it's missing). If so, this is fine and I do agree that FreeHALL should change (and I'm already trying to report this to them but haven't checked back yet).

Hmm, are you really inserting 0.05C or did that switch to 0.025C in some version? If so, maybe FreeHALL is already reporting some resource information since their tasks are now showing 0.025C there. (Even for the CPU intensive tasks but that's not BTs fault.)

2) Any zero digits seems to be removed in Use field. This is good, because "0.05C + 1NV" is much nicer. However, it seems it doesn't
2) There is no such thing as 0 a CPU always uses something. All other values are assigned by the project / task.

I meant the zeros after the dot. The part where BT condenses the "x + 1.00 NV" to "x + 1NV". This condensing isn't happening when there are 2 (or more!) nVidia (or ATI) cards used by the project. I mean that BT still shows "x + 2.00 NV" and not "x + 2NV". Shouldn't the condensing algorithm work in these cases too? (Maybe by replacing all .00 instances with blanks in the string? If it's a string at all.)

fred

Quote from: wicked on August 02, 2010, 05:04:42 AM
1) A while back I complained about numerous non-CPU intensive FreeHAL WUs taking too much space. There was a change later to make FreeHAL WUs say "Use 0.025C" because previously they didn't say anything. Now, they have added CPU-intensive WUs and

Ah, okay, I just thought you specifically detected FreeHALL and inserted 0.05C there but looks like you are (correctly) detecting the "non-cpu intensive" flag of the project and then inserting 0.05C (if it's missing). If so, this is fine and I do agree that FreeHALL should change (and I'm already trying to report this to them but haven't checked back yet).

Hmm, are you really inserting 0.05C or did that switch to 0.025C in some version? If so, maybe FreeHALL is already reporting some resource information since their tasks are now showing 0.025C there. (Even for the CPU intensive tasks but that's not BTs fault.)

2) Any zero digits seems to be removed in Use field. This is good, because "0.05C + 1NV" is much nicer. However, it seems it doesn't

I meant the zeros after the dot. The part where BT condenses the "x + 1.00 NV" to "x + 1NV". This condensing isn't happening when there are 2 (or more!) nVidia (or ATI) cards used by the project. I mean that BT still shows "x + 2.00 NV" and not "x + 2NV". Shouldn't the condensing algorithm work in these cases too? (Maybe by replacing all .00 instances with blanks in the string? If it's a string at all.)
BT inserts 0.025 CPUs, at least for a couple of versions, any other value must come from the project.
The 2.00 and it's a string, I put it on the todo list.

Beyond

Hello,

1) A while back I complained about numerous non-CPU intensive FreeHAL WUs taking too much space.

If you look at the old BoincView program it separates non CPU intensive tasks by specifying "Running non-CPU-intensive" under the status tab so that they can be lumped into a different area if the status tab is used as the primary sorting criterion.  There is also the ability to alter the sorting order of the various states in the status tab, a very useful feature.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on August 20, 2010, 04:22:23 PM
Hello,

1) A while back I complained about numerous non-CPU intensive FreeHAL WUs taking too much space.

If you look at the old BoincView program it separates non CPU intensive tasks by specifying "Running non-CPU-intensive" under the status tab so that they can be lumped into a different area if the status tab is used as the primary sorting criterion.  There is also the ability to alter the sorting order of the various states in the status tab, a very useful feature.

The non CPU intensive setting is something from the old old days.
Well behaved programs should use the resources. Like 0.005 Cpu.

And FreeHAL isn't the one in the well behaving category.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on August 20, 2010, 05:30:48 PM
Quote from: Beyond on August 20, 2010, 04:22:23 PM
Hello,

The non CPU intensive setting is something from the old old days.
Well behaved programs should use the resources. Like 0.005 Cpu.

And FreeHAL isn't the one in the well behaving category.

For sure FreeHAL isn't in the well behaved category.  By having a designation such as "Running non-CPU-intensive" as in that old program, it was possible to get it off by itself and out of the way.  For example I sort the Tasks window on Status and secondarily on Time Left (10 machines with 54 running tasks at the moment).  There seems to be no way to get the FreeHAL tasks out of the way of the rest of the running tasks.  Sorting on Use just makes a mess.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on August 20, 2010, 06:45:54 PM
For sure FreeHAL isn't in the well behaved category.  By having a designation such as "Running non-CPU-intensive" as in that old program, it was possible to get it off by itself and out of the way.  For example I sort the Tasks window on Status and secondarily on Time Left (10 machines with 54 running tasks at the moment).  There seems to be no way to get the FreeHAL tasks out of the way of the rest of the running tasks.  Sorting on Use just makes a mess.
If you have a suggestion to improve things and not too specific for FreeHAL let me know.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on August 20, 2010, 06:50:52 PM
If you have a suggestion to improve things and not too specific for FreeHAL let me know.

How about a Status  designation of something like "Running CPU NI" for any CPU program with a Use value of < 0.1C (FreeHAL is 0.025C)?
(Blank Use values and GPU tasks not included)  Would that work?

fred

Quote from: Beyond on August 20, 2010, 07:20:57 PM
Quote from: fred on August 20, 2010, 06:50:52 PM

How about a Status  designation of something like "Running CPU NI" for any CPU program with a Use value of < 0.1C (FreeHAL is 0.025C)?
(Blank Use values and GPU tasks not included)  Would that work?

Noted