V2.00β - only recognizes 1 CPU core

Started by jjwhalen, August 16, 2010, 06:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

I installed v2.00β over v1.82 (which was running fine) on a Core Duo x64, WinVista SP2 host.  During the update, 2 unusual conditions:

• BOINC had AQUA IQUANA in progress, a multicore task running across both CPU cores
  • BOINC was auto-suspended (time of day) for 10 minutes to allow disk defragging by Diskeeper
After the install completed, the "one time test" ran to identify processors.  After that Tthrottle only sees one CPU core (core 0).

I tried uninstall/reinstall v2.00, no change in symptom.  I tried rolling back to v1.92 (it sees both cores) and (re)installing v2.00 over it.  The one time test did not run again, and v2.00 again does not see core 1.  V2.00 installed on 2 other hosts (a 64 bit quad and a 32 bit dual) and all cores are recognized on those machines.  So the one time test appears to be the problem.

I need a workaround to force rerun of that test with both cores working on separate tasks.  Some way to do a completely "clean" install, edit the Registry, whatever.  And the one time test may need some work.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 16, 2010, 06:32:37 PM
I installed v2.00β over v1.82 (which was running fine) on a Core Duo x64, WinVista SP2 host.  During the update, 2 unusual conditions:

• BOINC had AQUA IQUANA in progress, a multicore task running across both CPU cores
  • BOINC was auto-suspended (time of day) for 10 minutes to allow disk defragging by Diskeeper
After the install completed, the "one time test" ran to identify processors.  After that Tthrottle only sees one CPU core (core 0).

I tried uninstall/reinstall v2.00, no change in symptom.  I tried rolling back to v1.92 (it sees both cores) and (re)installing v2.00 over it.  The one time test did not run again, and v2.00 again does not see core 1.  V2.00 installed on 2 other hosts (a 64 bit quad and a 32 bit dual) and all cores are recognized on those machines.  So the one time test appears to be the problem.

I need a workaround to force rerun of that test with both cores working on separate tasks.  Some way to do a completely "clean" install, edit the Registry, whatever.  And the one time test may need some work.
Ok go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle(64)
Give me the values in the calibration folder.
Remove the calibration folder and restart TThrottle.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on August 17, 2010, 07:26:43 AM

Very strange.  The calibration folder values are as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle64\calibration]
"cores"=dword:00000002
"core_delta"=dword:00000010

And as I paste that in here, I'm looking at Tthrottle displaying a single core, both on the Temperature tab and on the OSD.  So I deleted the calibration folder, restarted Tthrottle and the one time test ran for a very long time - over 15 minutes.  I had to leave with it still running and when I came back, v2.00 was again displaying a single core.  The rewritten calibration folder is as above.

So for now I'll be rolling back to v1.82 on this machine until we get this figured out.  How about a complete removal of all Tthrottle related stuff for a truly clean install?  (BTW the processor is Intel Core2 Duo P8400@2.26Ghz.)

jjwhalen

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 17, 2010, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: fred on August 17, 2010, 07:26:43 AM

Very strange.  The calibration folder values are as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle64\calibration]
"cores"=dword:00000002
"core_delta"=dword:00000010

And as I paste that in here, I'm looking at Tthrottle displaying a single core, both on the Temperature tab and on the OSD.  So I deleted the calibration folder, restarted Tthrottle and the one time test ran for a very long time - over 15 minutes.  I had to leave with it still running and when I came back, v2.00 was again displaying a single core.  The rewritten calibration folder is as above.

So for now I'll be rolling back to v1.82 on this machine until we get this figured out.  How about a complete removal of all Tthrottle related stuff for a truly clean install?  (BTW the processor is Intel Core2 Duo P8400@2.26Ghz.)

OK, so I deleted the entire HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle(64) tree (actually exported to a .reg file for safekeeping), uninstalled v2.00 and installed v1.82 clean.  It recognizes both cores.  With 1.82 the calibration folder is present but empty, and of course the calibration test did not run.  But I guess you know that.  I again installed v2.00 as an update over v1.82.  To be safe this time I shut down both the BOINC client and BoincTasks.  v2.00 installed, the calibration test ran (just 2~3 minutes) and again Tthrottle sees only Core 0.  The calibration folder is the same, except for some odd reason the keys are written in reverse order - but the values are the same.  Maybe the new test just doesn't like the P8400 processor.

Anyway, I manually edited the core_delta key from 1016 to 116, which matches the value on the other hosts that are displaying correct number of cores.  That fixed the problem - v2.00 now displays core 0 & 1.

I'll leave it to you to figure out where the calibration test is going wrong.  Happy hunting.

EDIT--I should mention that I've noticed on this machine that the temperature curves are always very close together: not identical, but close.  If I idle one core, the temp on both cores drops and they still maintain about the same curve.  I'm guessing that in the P8400 package  the temperature sensors are physically very close together.  This differs greatly from my other CoreDuo, where each core has a very different temperature curve, usually by several degrees.  Maybe in the P8400 your test is having a tough time telling the 2 cores apart  ???

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 17, 2010, 10:30:09 PM

OK, so I deleted the entire HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle(64) tree (actually exported to a .reg file for safekeeping), uninstalled v2.00 and installed v1.82 clean.  It recognizes both cores.  With 1.82 the calibration folder is present but empty, and of course the calibration test did not run.  But I guess you know that.  I again installed v2.00 as an update over v1.82.  To be safe this time I shut down both the BOINC client and BoincTasks.  v2.00 installed, the calibration test ran (just 2~3 minutes) and again Tthrottle sees only Core 0.  The calibration folder is the same, except for some odd reason the keys are written in reverse order - but the values are the same.  Maybe the new test just doesn't like the P8400 processor.

Anyway, I manually edited the core_delta key from 1016 to 116, which matches the value on the other hosts that are displaying correct number of cores.  That fixed the problem - v2.00 now displays core 0 & 1.

I'll leave it to you to figure out where the calibration test is going wrong.  Happy hunting.

EDIT--I should mention that I've noticed on this machine that the temperature curves are always very close together: not identical, but close.  If I idle one core, the temp on both cores drops and they still maintain about the same curve.  I'm guessing that in the P8400 package  the temperature sensors are physically very close together.  This differs greatly from my other CoreDuo, where each core has a very different temperature curve, usually by several degrees.  Maybe in the P8400 your test is having a tough time telling the 2 cores apart  ???
The temperatures are probably identical, I will take a closer look at the detection.
And seeing different temperatures is not the same as that they are there.
Only when you see temperatures 2C apart they really are.

At sampling the two samples may be 1C off just because of the timing.

And nearly identical is practically 1. 1 Meaning 1 temperature sensor not 1 core.

fred

I made some small changes. So anyone with a 2 core Intel CPU try this version:

http://www.efmer.com/download/boinc/tthrottle/TThrottle_2_0_0_1.zip

With regedit.exe you have to remove the folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottlexx\calibration and only the calibration folder.
Start this new version and check how many temperature sensors are detected.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on August 18, 2010, 07:06:02 AM
I made some small changes. So anyone with a 2 core Intel CPU try this version:

http://www.efmer.com/download/boinc/tthrottle/TThrottle_2_0_0_1.zip

With regedit.exe you have to remove the folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottlexx\calibration and only the calibration folder.
Start this new version and check how many temperature sensors are detected.

I haven't had a chance to try the 2.00.1 .exe yet, due to a more urgent problem: after rolling back to v1.82, the cputemperature.sys no longer wants to install >:(

I went back to the Lost connection to CPU thread and reviewed that info, so you don't need to type all that stuff up again  ;D  I verified that cputemperature is definitely absent from Device Mgr.  I tried the InstallDriver64 utility, used Admin privileges, did the Uninstall first, ran the Install & got a very strange error message:
QuoteInstaller 32 Bit V1.2
LoadLibrary(C) failed: 126
The WdfCoInstaller01007.dll library needs to be in same directory as the *.exe
ERROR: Driver not installed properly. (LoadDriver Dlg)
But the .dll (file version 1.7.6001.180000) is right there for all to see ???  I tried another "clean" install of v1.82 but no change in symptom.  The good news is that this is my console machine, so I can see the temps on the OSD (also it runs pretty cool, only 55~65C).  The bad news is there won't be any throttling if needed, and no log onto BT.  This is the CoreDuo x64 with WinVista SP2.  Tthrottle has been running fine for months, beginning with v1.73.

Anyway, I'll be staying away from the 2.00.x until this is resolved.  I'm open to suggestions.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 18, 2010, 11:11:03 PM
I haven't had a chance to try the 2.00.1 .exe yet, due to a more urgent problem: after rolling back to v1.82, the cputemperature.sys no longer wants to install >:(

I went back to the Lost connection to CPU thread and reviewed that info, so you don't need to type all that stuff up again  ;D  I verified that cputemperature is definitely absent from Device Mgr.  I tried the InstallDriver64 utility, used Admin privileges, did the Uninstall first, ran the Install & got a very strange error message:
QuoteInstaller 32 Bit V1.2
But the .dll (file version 1.7.6001.180000) is right there for all to see ???  I tried another "clean" install of v1.82 but no change in symptom.  The good news is that this is my console machine, so I can see the temps on the OSD (also it runs pretty cool, only 55~65C).  The bad news is there won't be any throttling if needed, and no log onto BT.  This is the CoreDuo x64 with WinVista SP2.  Tthrottle has been running fine for months, beginning with v1.73.

Anyway, I'll be staying away from the 2.00.x until this is resolved.  I'm open to suggestions.
Ok this is Vista 32 bit?
Just tried to install on Vista, works as it should.
As the V 1.82 isn't installing it's something different.
So remove the TThrottle installation folder and install TThrottle again.
Make sure TThrottle is closed, but it should otherwise you can't install.
Make sure you start the installer with the right mouse and select run as administrator. Even as you are logged in as administrator.
And a virus scanner may block a driver to install.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on August 19, 2010, 06:18:59 AM

--SNIP--

Ok this is Vista 32 bit?
Make sure you start the installer with the right mouse and select run as administrator. Even as you are logged in as administrator.

No...sorry, shouold have mentioned...this is Vista 64 bit...the problem in the previous thread back months ago was on my CoreDuo 32 bit machine.  That one has been fine since I changed my security package over to Kaspersky Internet Security, the same one I now run on all my hosts.  In fact it's running Tthrottle 2.00 without problem.

Will try your suggestions.  I always run installers of all software "Run as administrator," a trick I learned long ago.  The AV was actually the first thing I thought of, but it's exactly the same KIS 2010 I've been running on this machine for a year & Tthrottle has been coexisting with it fine.  No, something else has changed, and it was incident to the problem with v2.00 and rolling back to 1.82.

But I'm still puzzled by that error message - if the .dll is right there in the directory, why does the InstallDriver64.exe think it's not ???  Is one of the Registry keys maybe screwed up?

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 19, 2010, 03:49:04 PM

--SNIP--

Ok this is Vista 32 bit?

No...sorry, shouold have mentioned...this is Vista 64 bit...the problem in the previous thread back months ago was on my CoreDuo 32 bit machine.  That one has been fine since I changed my security package over to Kaspersky Internet Security, the same one I now run on all my hosts.  In fact it's running Tthrottle 2.00 without problem.

Will try your suggestions.  I always run installers of all software "Run as administrator," a trick I learned long ago.  The AV was actually the first thing I thought of, but it's exactly the same KIS 2010 I've been running on this machine for a year & Tthrottle has been coexisting with it fine.  No, something else has changed, and it was incident to the problem with v2.00 and rolling back to 1.82.

But I'm still puzzled by that error message - if the .dll is right there in the directory, why does the InstallDriver64.exe think it's not ???  Is one of the Registry keys maybe screwed up?
But this still puzzles me:

Installer 32 Bit V1.2

On a 64 bit system?

fred

To check the driver installation look in the Windows folder for: setupact.log
It logs the installer activities.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on August 19, 2010, 03:52:16 PM
Quote from: jjwhalen on August 19, 2010, 03:49:04 PM

--SNIP--

Ok this is Vista 32 bit?

But this still puzzles me:

Installer 32 Bit V1.2

On a 64 bit system?

I wondered about that too, but I figured you just wrote the app as 32 bit because why would it need to be 64 as long as the driver is - still the name of the .exe invoking that install was definitely InstallDriver64.

Anyway, I uninstalled, deleted the Tthrottle directory, deleted the Registry's Tthrotle tree for good measure, rebooted, disabled Kaspersky, and reinstalled v1.82.  No change in symptom.  Cputemperature is not listed in Non-Plug and Play Drivers, and no log on to BT.

Initial log entries from Tthrottle as follows:

Quote19 August 2010 - 10:20:44 Driver installed properly. Driver Version: 1.9 ???

Program version: 1.82 64Bit
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Vista or higher detected
64 Bit OS detected (AMD or Intel)

Language: User: 1033 ENU ,System: 1033 ENU

Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
Vendor: INTEL
HighestIntegerValue: 0000000A - Processor Signature: 00010676
Misc. info: 00020800
Feature Flags1 0008E3FD
Feature Flags2 BFEBFBFF

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8400  @ 2.26GHz               
Processor: Family: 6h, Model: 17, Stepping: 6
Processor: Type: 8400, Stepping: C0, Cores: 2
Processor: Max Case Temperature: 72.4 °C, Max Power 65.0W
Processor: Speed: 3 GHz, Busspeed: 1333 MHz
Processor: tSpec: SLAPL, Technology: 45 nm, Cache: 6 MB
Processor: VoltageLow: 0.8 V, VoltageHigh: 1.4 V

Core Temperature: 55 °C, Raw Data: 882D0000
882d0000,882d0000,882d0000,882d0000
882d0000,882d0000,882d0000,882d0000,01111111
882c0000,882c0000,882c0000,882c0000
882c0000,882c0000,882c0000,882c0000,01111111

BOINC:
aqua.dwavesys.com
boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de_boincsimap
climateprediction.net
www.primegrid.com
www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo
www.worldcommunitygrid.org

You can help by reading www.efmer.eu/boinc/faq.html How can I help!
Select the send EMail button,or copy everything in this logging window and mail it to me!
boinc@efmer.eu. We use this information to improve this product.

19 August 2010 - 10:21:26 Number of matching Programs (Processes): 3
Cpu: famous_um_6.11_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 2604, Threads: 4
Cpu: famous_6.11_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 2236, Threads: 3
Cpu: iquana_1.14_windows_x86_64__mt1.exe, PID: 3036, Threads: 4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   3 0 0 0
19 August 2010 - 10:21:58 Number of matching Programs (Processes): 3
Cpu: famous_um_6.11_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 2604, Threads: 4
Cpu: famous_6.11_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 2236, Threads: 3
Cpu: iquana_1.14_windows_x86_64__mt1.exe, PID: 3036, Threads: 4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   3 0 0 0

I ran InstallDriver64.exe/uninstall and it said:

QuoteMicrosoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installer 32 Bit V1.2
Driver removed!

(Isn't that supposed to mean that the driver was running ???)  I ran InstallDriver64.exe/install and it said:

QuoteMicrosoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit
Installer 32 Bit V1.2

As Yogi Berra used to say, "it's deja vu all over again." :)

The setupact.log said:

QuoteWdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 10:19.47.713] ReadComponents:  WdfSection for Driver Service cputemperature using KMDF lib version Major 0x1, minor 0x7

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 10:19.47.743] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: Coinstaller version: 1.7.6001

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 10:19.47.746] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: KMDF in-memory version: 1.7.6001

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 10:19.47.773] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: KMDF on-disk version: 1.7.6001

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 10:19.47.789] Service Wdf01000 is running

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 10:19.47.792] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: On-disk KMDF version is newer than or same as the version of the coinstaller. Update is not required

Back to you Fred ;D

fred

This means the driver is up and running:
Driver installed properly. Driver Version: 1.9

I get the same problems when TThrottle is still running and I press remove.
The driver is only partially removed as it in use at the moment.

So press remove again when TThrottle is shut down. It can take up to 4 seconds for TThrottle to shut down (the icon is the last thing to go).

Go to the device manager and select show hidden devices.
In non plug an play.
cputemperature right mouse select uninstall.

Go to C:\windows\system32\drivers and delete cputemperature.sys
Why it's called system32 on a 64 bit system. ???

Reboot the computer.

Delete the TThrottle64 folder. Make sure TThrottle is shut down and install V 2.1 again.

You should see this:  Driver installed properly. Driver Version: 2.0
In the TThrottle log.

jjwhalen

Well, I'm confused...

QuoteThis means the driver is up and running:
Driver installed properly. Driver Version: 1.9

Yup, I saw that, and that's what I understood.  But, when I looked in Device Manager>Non-Plug and Play Drivers, cputemperature wasn't listed (as it is in my other WinVista_x64 host).  Also, when I looked in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, cputemperature.sys wasn't there either.  In fact I did a Find File of the entire C:\Windows\*.* path, and didn't find it anywhere :o

QuoteSo press remove again when TThrottle is shut down. It can take up to 4 seconds for TThrottle to shut down (the icon is the last thing to go).

Did that.

QuoteGo to the device manager and select show hidden devices.
In non plug an play.
cputemperature right mouse select uninstall.

Couldn't do that, it wasn't there to uninstall.

QuoteGo to C:\windows\system32\drivers and delete cputemperature.sys
Why it's called system32 on a 64 bit system.

See above.

QuoteReboot the computer.

Delete the TThrottle64 folder. Make sure TThrottle is shut down and install V 2.1 again.

Did that.  (Also shut Kaspersky down completely during the install.)  The InstallDriver64.exe window flashes twice during the install, but too quickly to read.

QuoteYou should see this:  Driver installed properly. Driver Version: 2.0
In the TThrottle log.

Yup, got that:

Quote19 August 2010 - 15:56:37 Driver installed properly. Driver Version: 2.0

Setupact.log has more of the same
QuoteWdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 15:56.28.093] ReadComponents:  WdfSection for Driver Service cputemperature using KMDF lib version Major 0x1, minor 0x7

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 15:56.28.109] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: Coinstaller version: 1.7.6001

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 15:56.28.109] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: KMDF in-memory version: 1.7.6001

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 15:56.28.109] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: KMDF on-disk version: 1.7.6001

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 15:56.28.125] Service Wdf01000 is running

WdfCoInstaller: [08/19/2010 15:56.28.125] DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: On-disk KMDF version is newer than or same as the version of the coinstaller. Update is not required

But cputemperature is still not in Device Manager>Non-Plug and Play Drivers, and still no log on to BT.  Like I said at the top, I'm confused.  It's like Tthrottle thinks the driver is properly mounted, but the rest of the system just isn't seeing it.  Also, when I shut down Tthrottle 2.1 and run InstallDriver64, I still get
Installer 32 Bit V1.2

...and the .dll is right there for all to see.  And when I restart Tthrottle, the log now says
Quote19 August 2010 - 16:40:47 OpenService failed!  Error = 1060 (start driver)
Unable to start driver. (is the driver installed?)
19 August 2010 - 16:40:47 (L01) ERROR: Driver NOT installed properly
Program version: 2.10 64Bit
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Vista or higher detected
64 Bit OS detected (AMD or Intel)

I'm not a dummy, and I know the obvious culprit here is Kaspersky.  But he was completely shut down during the install, and in his Application Control I've set Tthrottle to be excluded from all monitoring, including "Child Processes."  Also, Tthrottle (v2.00 right now) is running on my other 32 & 64 bit hosts with the exact same KIS 2010 ::) >:(  I believe it's time to step back from this problem for awhile :)

fred

When you get this:
Driver installed properly. Driver Version: 2.0
TThrottle is able to communicate with the driver, so that is almost 100% sure, it's up and running properly.

Ok I missed the cputemperature as well.

In device manager press action and select search for (changed) new devices.
(I use a different language version right now, so it may not be exactly right.)

Now it's there again.

Press the start key and run sigverif  Select start.
When ready select advanced and select show log.

You should find cputemperature.sys       1-8-2010

And when you see something like this:

Core Temperature: 55 °C, Raw Data: 882D0000
882d0000,882d0000,882d0000,882d0000
882d0000,882d0000,882d0000,882d0000,01111111

Everything is just fine in TThrottle.