Remote computers found, but unable to select them (SOLVED)

Started by RaulB, August 26, 2010, 07:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

Quote from: RaulB on August 29, 2010, 04:05:49 PM
JJ amigo - I think you've solved the problem. Not one of my Win7 systems had Boinc client in the Firewall allowed list. I added the Boinc client and now the Scan finds the Win7 systems. The Find still has some problems, but I can live with Scan.
Many thanks for your help - you get 10 stars
One more question - all the systems that I have tested are on the same router (some via LAN and some via WiFi). Can I do the same with a system in a different location, but via the internet?
I'll certainly sleep well tonight - muchas gracias

Como se dice, "No hay de que."  I believe Corsair hinted and got me thinking that Win7's firewall may be dumber (or more restrictive) than WinVista's version.  And a new computer with OEM Windows 7 might need some help.  But it's always good to remember that Boinc Manager (and now BoincTasks!) is just the control panel.  The core client does all the "heavy lifting," but has no real face of its own ;D

Regarding your question, the answer is "conditional" yes. This forum has members with many host computers, and some on different subnets (Corsair, if I recall, has his computer connected while onboard his ship at sea, and he has others crunching away on shore.)  You can use Scan address range for any valid range of IPs.  (Note the information on this subject in the BoincTasks Manual as well as the FAQ.)

The conditional part comes in if the other router, not to mention your own, is firewalled (as mine is).  It would need to have the BoincTasks port open to external communication, and you might have to set up access rights for your localhost's IP.  You might even have to set up a "tunnel" (Virtual Private Net [VPN] or some such), depending on the level of security at the other router.  Of course BoincTasks (Boinc Manager for that matter) knows nothing of any of this.  It expects a clear path to the distant range of IPs on its communications port.

¡Buena suerte Raoul!