V2.00β - only recognizes 1 CPU core

Started by jjwhalen, August 16, 2010, 06:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

QuoteIn device manager press action and select search for (changed) new devices.
(I use a different language version right now, so it may not be exactly right.)

Now it's there again.

Did that and yes it is ;D  In the English version it's called "Scan for hardware changes".  Why can't they call it "Refresh," hotkeyed to <F5> like almost everything else in Windows ???  In fact, why can't it auto-refresh?

QuotePress the start key and run sigverif  Select start.
When ready select advanced and select show log.

You should find cputemperature.sys       1-8-2010

OK, did that but got
Quotecputemperature.sys       5/31/2009      None                Signed              N/A

I won't complain about the Δ date as long as it's running.

OK, all is good now, running with v2.1, communicating with BT.  (FYI I also forgot that when you wipe the Registry keys you have to reselect "Enable BoincTasks" in Preference...duh :-[)  That's what I mean about stepping back from a problem.

Thanks for all the hand-holding.  However, see the BT 0.71 betatesting thread for new problem uncovered there :(

-----

P.S., Tthrottle 2.1 is properly displaying both CPU cores (still with nearly identical temp curves of course) on the P8400, which is where this whole thread started.  I noticed when installing 2.1 that the v2.00 one-time calibration test did not run, and in the Registry the Calibration folder is empty.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 20, 2010, 10:35:25 AM
QuoteIn device manager press action and select search for (changed) new devices.
(I use a different language version right now, so it may not be exactly right.)

Now it's there again.

Did that and yes it is ;D  In the English version it's called "Scan for hardware changes".  Why can't they call it "Refresh," hotkeyed to <F5> like almost everything else in Windows ???  In fact, why can't it auto-refresh?

QuotePress the start key and run sigverif  Select start.
When ready select advanced and select show log.

You should find cputemperature.sys       1-8-2010

OK, did that but got
Quotecputemperature.sys       5/31/2009      None                Signed              N/A

I won't complain about the Δ date as long as it's running.

OK, all is good now, running with v2.1, communicating with BT.  (FYI I also forgot that when you wipe the Registry keys you have to reselect "Enable BoincTasks" in Preference...duh :-[)  That's what I mean about stepping back from a problem.

Thanks for all the hand-holding.  However, see the BT 0.71 betatesting thread for new problem uncovered there :(

-----

P.S., Tthrottle 2.1 is properly displaying both CPU cores (still with nearly identical temp curves of course) on the P8400, which is where this whole thread started.  I noticed when installing 2.1 that the v2.00 one-time calibration test did not run, and in the Registry the Calibration folder is empty.
I released 2.10.1 with an updated driver.
Removed some typo's and the installer.exe now runs as administrator only.
Because this can cause all kinds of problems. And in Windows having administrator rights isn't the same as being the administrator.
On my Win 7 X64 as user with administrator rights the driver just refuses to install properly. But installing it as administrator works just fine.

The one time calibration is gone for the 1 and 2 core CPU's, because there is no actual need as the number or cores and sensors is already known.
From 4 cores up it's still working as it's needed for the Intel HT cores. But the more cores, the easier it is to detect.

jjwhalen

QuoteOn my Win 7 X64 as user with administrator rights the driver just refuses to install properly. But installing it as administrator works just fine.
Which is why shortly after I got my first WinVista I learned when running any installer to "Run as administrator" even on an account with Administrator rights!  8)