Download/Upload Limit

Started by glennaxl, September 15, 2010, 08:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennaxl

BOINC has dn/up limit of 2 per client. But If you have 10 or more machines connected to the same internet pipe, your network will choke (for projects with huge download task and huge upload task).

So I wish BoincTask will have some control to the number of DN/UP (limit the number of concurrent DN/UP for connected clients in BT). Also, as BT can control host from outside (WAN), make it a policy thing so not all hosts will be affected.

Thanks

jjwhalen

Quote from: glennaxl on September 15, 2010, 08:00:59 PM
BOINC has dn/up limit of 2 per client. But If you have 10 or more machines connected to the same internet pipe, your network will choke (for projects with huge download task and huge upload task).

So I wish BoincTask will have some control to the number of DN/UP (limit the number of concurrent DN/UP for connected clients in BT). Also, as BT can control host from outside (WAN), make it a policy thing so not all hosts will be affected.

Thanks

A few points.

1) The "dn/up limit of 2" limit I believe you're referring to isn't per BOINC client, it's 2 per project, up to a maximum of 8 on that client.
2) The numbers of transfer threads per project/client above aren't hardcoded -- they can be configured via the <max_file_xfers_per_project> (default two) & <max_file_xfers> (default eight) parameters of the cc_config.xml file (complete instructions at this link).
3) If you have 10 or 100 computers on an internet gateway, whether they will choke or not is a function of how much bandwidth you are leasing, and whether your ISP is delivering the bandwidth you're paying for (frequently, no). In any case, it's the gateway router's job to apportion the available bandwidth out to the computers that are asking for it.
4) The BOINC core client does its part by opening transfer threads, up to the <max_file_xfers_per_project><max_file_xfers> limits, as needed.

I'm not sure whether BointTasks can do what you're asking for, but I'll leave that to Fred.

Pepo

I'm not aware of any GUI RPC for changing the limits. Indeed just the config file.
Peter

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on September 15, 2010, 08:00:59 PM

Thanks
You could limit the maximum upload or download rate in the BOINC settings -> Network-> General options.
Say to 1 KBytes/sec
This per machine or globally on the web page.
Alternatively you could set network limits on a wallclock time base.

glennaxl

@jjwhalen - I know it can be done, but thats per host (referring to <max_file_xfers_per_project>) as BOINC doesnt communicate with your other host.
The purpose is to get 1 host at a time to get the full bandwidth.

Some analogy:
1)DB - multiple single row updates or single bulk rows update. Single is better that why seti doesn't like return results immediately.
2)FileTransfer (copy/backup) - Lets say your copying 100GB, 200GB,300GB from different machine to the file server. Doing so concurrently is slower at least on my experience. Best is to queue it one by one. Less I/O overhead on the server. 

The reason I ask for this feature is that the projects I'm running is getting bigger in terms of their input and output files and the have network limits imposed. Even though you have satisfied the network requirements (if using only 1 host), but you won't if you have more host.