News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Switched, busy...

Started by Pepo, September 24, 2010, 12:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Quote from: Pepo on September 29, 2010, 06:54:54 AM
BT still runs as the same process since launched after upgrading to 0.75, the same single computer on a separate network. The switching time is now around 5 seconds, regardless of "Connect to TThrottle" and "Reconnect every..." settings.

I think that it has also little in common with responses from local BOINC client, as the BOINC Manager manages to get responses from the client on its regular 1-second intervals without any problem.
BOINC version?

Pepo

Quote from: fred on September 29, 2010, 07:38:19 AM
BT still runs as the same process since launched after upgrading to 0.75, the same single computer on a separate network. The switching time is now around 5 seconds, regardless of "Connect to TThrottle" and "Reconnect every..." settings.

I think that it has also little in common with responses from local BOINC client, as the BOINC Manager manages to get responses from the client on its regular 1-second intervals without any problem.
BOINC version?
Still 6.11.6
Peter

fred

Pepo

Peter

fred

Pepo

Still on 0.75, will try to upgrade to 0.76 afterwards.

I've again catched some black constellation of stars, tab switching takes the 20 seconds. A good moment for some network monitoring tests ;D

I've looked at the list of BT's open connections and number of packets/bytes flowing in+out. Then switched to History view - in this mode BT is pretty "silent" and transfers data really just occasionally.

After things settled down, I've started checking the network transfers and tried to hit either Messages or Transfers or Tasks. In each case, the pattern was exactly the same: AFTER the "Switched, busy..." message was gone, BT started to send/receive packets...  ???

Thus I'm completely discarding any theory about network communication delays - it must be something BT-internal I believe.

Let's try Process Monitor...

While displaying the Transfers view, BT was sending out 72-byte packets, approx. each second. While in the History view, BT was regularly sending out 108-byte packets, approx. each 30 seconds, and 72-byte packets, approx. each minute.
There were also regular 67-byte packets in a-bit-more-than-minute intervals. Not tried to find out what it was.

Some 15 seconds prior to next History update, when all three packet types appeared in last few seconds, I've touched the Transfers tab. BT showed the "Switched, busy..." message for the remaining 15-20 seconds, when it was gone, then started to regularly communicate with 72-byte packets.

When switching from Transfers (with 72-byte packets in 1-second interval) to Projects, after a 23 second delay, 72-byte packets in 5-6-second interval appeared (the normal tasks update time).

Again, it must be something inside BT. I believe it is neither history fetching nor window refresh, something prior to it?

I'm gonna try 0.76.
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on September 30, 2010, 09:36:04 AM
Still on 0.75, will try to upgrade to 0.76 afterwards.
[...]
Again, it must be something inside BT. I believe it is neither history fetching nor window refresh, something prior to it?
I'm gonna try 0.76.
I'm just observing a 6 second "Switched, busy..." delay on BT 0.76 (BOINC 6.11.9 on Win7 x64). The BT process is running a week long.
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on October 07, 2010, 10:23:50 AM
I'm just observing a 6 second "Switched, busy..." delay on BT 0.76 (BOINC 6.11.9 on Win7 x64). The BT process is running a week long.
At 8 seconds delay just now. Whatever it could be...

Thinking a bit... if it would depend on the client, should a client restart (or just stop) change anything?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 07, 2010, 12:52:21 PM

Thinking a bit... if it would depend on the client, should a client restart (or just stop) change anything?
As always trying is knowing.
But I suspect Windows more. A restart of BT will probably solve this. Maybe something is messed up, putting the system in sleep mode may get you into problems.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 07, 2010, 12:59:07 PM

But I suspect Windows more. A restart of BT will probably solve this. Maybe something is messed up, putting the system in sleep mode may get you into problems.
That is true. Unfortunately I've 2 Blender tasks, which have not checkpointed for hours (actually never). I've to wait a couple more hours...
And solving the problems by restarting BT might also lead to a very different conclusion  ;)

This system was not hibernated for weeks already. We can strike at least this one.
Peter

Pepo

The delay is now at around 35-60 seconds, on various tab pages and moments :P

Quote from: Pepo on October 07, 2010, 01:18:28 PM
Quote from: fred on October 07, 2010, 12:59:07 PM
That is true. Unfortunately I've 2 Blender tasks, which have not checkpointed for hours (actually never). I've to wait a couple more hours...
Damn! Another DNETC cuda task with 5+ hours since the last checkpoint (and 2- days to go). Will probably not survive. [...] Have not survived a snooze. Let's restart the client... With a stopped client, the switching times are now 6 seconds. After starting a client, the switching times are 0 (zero) seconds.
Peter