Can't get remote computers connected

Started by Nick Succorso, November 09, 2010, 10:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Succorso

I just installed BoincTasks succesfully on my Windows XP system.

Because I also want to use BoincTasks for my Windows 7 laptop and my Windows Vista system I followed the steps described in the manual to get these systems connected. However, so far, my efforts had no result. In the case of the laptop it simply says "Niet verbonden" (Not connected) in the Status column of the Computer tab. In the case of the Vista system it says "wachtwoord" (Password) in that column.

Any suggestions how this my be resolved? Thanks in advance.

fred

Quote from: Nick Succorso on November 09, 2010, 10:32:44 AM
I just installed BoincTasks succesfully on my Windows XP system.

Because I also want to use BoincTasks for my Windows 7 laptop and my Windows Vista system I followed the steps described in the manual to get these systems connected. However, so far, my efforts had no result. In the case of the laptop it simply says "Niet verbonden" (Not connected) in the Status column of the Computer tab. In the case of the Vista system it says "wachtwoord" (Password) in that column.

Any suggestions how this my be resolved? Thanks in advance.
Hi Nick, welkom,

It works on the local computer?

The best point to start is here http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=109.msg433#msg433

Make sure you use a static IP address, dus een vast IP address.

What I'm  interesting in is point K) what is shown, when you press "Scan computers" / "Zoek adres gebied".   The computer/ip/BOINC status/TThrottle status.

Nick Succorso

Hi Fred, thanks for replying so quickly  :)

Yes, on the local computer everything seems to work fine.
I did restart both remote machines, which I did not do earlier. Both machines now show as status "Password".

Before I respond to a number of other things from the forum link one question: must BoincTasks be installed on all computers or just one? This could be quite relevant :p

fred

Quote from: Nick Succorso on November 09, 2010, 11:55:13 AM
Yes, on the local computer everything seems to work fine.
I did restart both remote machines, which I did not do earlier. Both machines now show as status "Password".

Before I respond to a number of other things from the forum link one question: must BoincTasks be installed on all computers or just one? This could be quite relevant :p
It may be installed on all computers, but for remote viewing, it's not necessary that BT runs on the remote computer.

Password should be easy. A problem with the file C:\ProgramData\BOINC gui_rpc_auth.cfg.
Did you use a simple text editor in changing it? (Kladblok) And safe if with ANSI coding.

You could also use the allow_remote_gui_rpc flag, see http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=91
This will allow a connection from any computer.