BT 0.87

Started by glennaxl, November 12, 2010, 02:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennaxl

BOINC Tasks Settings->WWW: clicking OK does not close the window.

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on November 12, 2010, 02:05:07 PM
BOINC Tasks Settings->WWW: clicking OK does not close the window.
Forgot that one, use the [X] for now. Or an OK in another window.

glennaxl

It doesn't seem to generate the tasks.html

I've look at the appdata folder and installdir of bt but nothing is in there after more than 30 mins. WWW update is enabled. Am I missing something?

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on November 12, 2010, 03:50:42 PM

I've look at the appdata folder and installdir of bt but nothing is in there after more than 30 mins. WWW update is enabled. Am I missing something?
When you did all this: http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?board=27.0
Goto the log and enable debugging. Set the time for a minute or so and check for error messages.

glennaxl

Quote from: fred on November 12, 2010, 03:53:36 PM
Quote from: glennaxl on November 12, 2010, 03:50:42 PM

When you did all this: http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?board=27.0
Goto the log and enable debugging. Set the time for a minute or so and check for error messages.
Cool, just have to copy tasks_template.html

Now its time to design my page. Thanks

ski1939

Hi Fred, using BT 0.87 and TT 3.00, the temperature graph now displays properly for my computer without a GPU - thanks.

Beyond

Couple problems that have been around for awhile:

1)  In Projects/Tasks 0 tasks shown even though 1 is running for nci projects WUProp & FreeHAL.

2)  When tasks start or finish a high value (20-30 minutes) is often shown in Tasks/Checkpoint for 1 update period,
     which triggers the warning flag.  This is particularly noticeable in MilkyWay and Collatz where the WUs are short.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 13, 2010, 07:13:41 PM

1)  In Projects/Tasks 0 tasks shown even though 1 is running for nci projects WUProp & FreeHAL.

2)  When tasks start or finish a high value (20-30 minutes) is often shown in Tasks/Checkpoint for 1 update period,
     which triggers the warning flag.  This is particularly noticeable in MilkyWay and Collatz where the WUs are short.
1) Tasks that use up only memory or other resources are not counted.
2) Be a bit more specific, so I can test it.

JStateson

BT not always allowing BOINC to start.  Boinc gives error message "another instance of BOINC is running" and quits.  However, there is no other instance of BOINC running according to Windows 7 task manager.  If I stop BT using the "Exit" then BOINC can be started.  I am guessing that BOINC tries to use port 31416 and when it cant, it then assumes a copy of itself is running ???

To duplicate this problem BT must have " [X] Start BOINC at login" checked and be iconized.  It can sometimes take 3 tries before the failure shows up.  Once the failure show up, BOINC will never start unless BT exits.

This is what it looks like when the failure occures

The following image was taken immediately after entering the RETURN key on the command line.  Note that BOINC is running

This image was taken a few seconds later and shows the error message.  Note that BOINC is no longer in the task manager

This images was taken after terminating BT (note it is no longer in the task manager, and BOINC is running fine

The purpose of my stopping boinc was to allow CD and DVD burning to proceed at full speed on the few occassions when there is a heavy load on my system.  Maybe there is another way to pause all tasks so multiple DVD burns can run at full speed.

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on November 14, 2010, 02:51:33 PM
BT not always allowing BOINC to start.  Boinc gives error message "another instance of BOINC is running" and quits.  However, there is no other instance of BOINC running according to Windows 7 task manager.  If I stop BT using the "Exit" then BOINC can be started.  I am guessing that BOINC tries to use port 31416 and when it cant, it then assumes a copy of itself is running ???

To duplicate this problem BT must have " [X] Start BOINC at login" checked and be iconized.  It can sometimes take 3 tries before the failure shows up.  Once the failure show up, BOINC will never start unless BT exits.

The purpose of my stopping boinc was to allow CD and DVD burning to proceed at full speed on the few occassions when there is a heavy load on my system.  Maybe there is another way to pause all tasks so multiple DVD burns can run at full speed.
I think it's the mutex that is still set.
The problem with the mutex that it is sometimes only released when the main program that starts BOINC.exe is closed.
BT starts the BOINC client and gives the BOINC client instructions to detach itself, so this problem should be avoided (about the same way you did). But this varies from OS to OS and sometimes it doesn't work.

The port can be used more than once, you can run BT and BOINC manager at the same time.

The easiest way to close everything down is using Extra->allow to run -> computer -> never. Or use snooze, but that only lasts for 1 hour.
Another way is to add the exe to the exclude list for the BOINC client, this should stop everything, for as long as a number of programs are running.

When you want to stop and start the client. Use File->Start or Stop.
But sometimes there is simply something wrong with the client and it refused to do so....

Beyond

Quote from: BeemerBiker on November 14, 2010, 02:51:33 PM
Try killing boinctray.exe in task manager and see if BOINC will start.  Sometimes when boinctray.exe is running BOINC refuses to start.  Killing the process ssolves the problem.  You can also eliminate it from starting with MSCONFIG.  I reported this to the BOINC devs, so far no fix.  If you have BOINC set to run always boinctray.exe is unnecessary.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 14, 2010, 03:07:57 PM
When you want to stop and start the client. Use File->Start or Stop.
But sometimes there is simply something wrong with the client and it refused to do so....
Another bug that several of us have reported to the BOINC devs.  So far they deny it happens...

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 14, 2010, 07:22:27 AM
Quote from: Beyond on November 13, 2010, 07:13:41 PM

1) Tasks that use up only memory or other resources are not counted.
2) Be a bit more specific, so I can test it.

1)  Why not count them?  I find myself having to count FreeHAL processes and trying to figure out which client isn't running.  Yes, FreeHAL is a problem child and doesn't always get a WU when the previous one is finished.

2)  Not sure how to be more specific.  When tasks start or finish a high value (20-30 minutes) is often shown in Tasks/Checkpoint for 1 BoincTasks update period (6 seconds or so), which triggers the checkpoint warning color in Tasks/Checkpoint.  Since some WUs like MW are very short it looks a bit like a Christmas tree flashing (if running a lot of clients).  Of course it is getting to be that season ;)

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 14, 2010, 04:04:30 PM
1)  Why not count them?  I find myself having to count FreeHAL processes and trying to figure out which client isn't running.  Yes, FreeHAL is a problem child and doesn't always get a WU when the previous one is finished.

2)  Not sure how to be more specific.  When tasks start or finish a high value (20-30 minutes) is often shown in Tasks/Checkpoint for 1 BoincTasks update period (6 seconds or so), which triggers the checkpoint warning color in Tasks/Checkpoint.  Since some WUs like MW are very short it looks a bit like a Christmas tree flashing (if running a lot of clients).  Of course it is getting to be that season ;)
1) Because I add up run time an nr of tasks running to get an est time left. FreeHAL shouldn't be counted in the nr of tasks running and est time left, because it's not a regular tasks but only an idle memory consuming task. At least that's what it tells BOINC. ;D
2) MW does not checkpoint, so the will always show up as a warning.
You can give the MW checkpoint color the OK color, so it will not show up.
http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=503.0

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 14, 2010, 04:25:46 PM
1) Because I add up run time an nr of tasks running to get an est time left. FreeHAL shouldn't be counted in the nr of tasks running and est time left, because it's not a regular tasks but only an idle memory consuming task. At least that's what it tells BOINC. ;D
2) MW does not checkpoint, so the will always show up as a warning.
You can give the MW checkpoint color the OK color, so it will not show up.
http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=503.0
1)  Maybe a new indicator under Projects/Tasks so it looks like 0/0/1? :) ;) ;D ;) :)
2)  MW tasks run for 3-4 minutes on my systems.  My checkpoint warning triggers are set at 5, 10 & 20 minutes.  About 40% of the time the last BT update period shows a checkpoint time of over 20 minutes and thus flashes the > 20 minute warning color.  Don't know where this erroneous checkpoint time is coming from but it can't be correct to show a > 20 minute checkpoint time on a 3 minute WU.  I have set custom global checkpoints in config.xml.  Here's my checkpoints:

<config>
   <checkpoint>
      <project>milkyway</project>
      <application></application>
      <seconds>100</seconds>
      <red>120</red>
      <green>255</green>
      <blue>215</blue>
   </checkpoint>
   <checkpoint>
      <project></project>
      <seconds>300</seconds>
      <red>0</red>
      <green>175</green>
      <blue>255</blue>
   </checkpoint>
   <checkpoint>
      <project></project>
      <seconds>600</seconds>
      <red>255</red>
      <green>75</green>
      <blue>255</blue>
   </checkpoint>
   <checkpoint>
      <project></project>
      <seconds>1200</seconds>
      <red>255</red>
      <green>50</green>
      <blue>50</blue>
   </checkpoint>
</config>

The above does enforce the milkyway checkpoint warning color (same as the GPU running color) from 100 to 300 seconds, then is overridden by the global values and the 20 minute red warning color appears. Have tried many different configurations but the global settings always override the milkyway specific settings.  What am I doing incorrectly?