BT 0.90

Started by fred, November 23, 2010, 03:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

A quick release, that may solve the stability problems.

jjwhalen

Thanks for the quick work on this release 8)

QuoteI haven't seen any BT crashes with v0.89 as reported by Beyond & Corsair.  Instead BT is repeatedly dropping/reconnecting one of my remote hosts every few seconds, while remaining connected to localhost & the other remote.
I'm not seeing the "dropping/reconnecting" behavior as with 0.89 ;D

The random numbers are gone.  Per the version description for v0.88
QuoteAdd: Projects: Extra counter for non CPU intensive tasks like FreeHAL. Format CPU/GPU/LOW, LOW only shown when > 0.
the 3rd value is suppressed when =0 :)

The new Notices tab looks good, with one minor glitch.  All notices include the more... hyperlink, even those that don't actually have a link to the project website.  Clicking more... on these "one-liner" notices just opens a File Manager window to the stored file:///C:/Users/.../AppData/Roaming/eFMer/BoincTasks/html/notices.html.  In BM, only notices with an actual link to the project have the more... hyperlink.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on November 23, 2010, 06:58:36 PM
The new Notices tab looks good, with one minor glitch.  All notices include the more... hyperlink, even those that don't actually have a link to the project website.  Clicking more... on these "one-liner" notices just opens a File Manager window to the stored file:///C:/Users/.../AppData/Roaming/eFMer/BoincTasks/html/notices.html.  In BM, only notices with an actual link to the project have the more... hyperlink.
I reverted to the older 6_10_56 code, copied the notices classes etc from 6_13_0 and you got the new code.
But now I still don't know why the code crashed. Maybe I try again when the new stable release is there.
And I got some more suspects, about why BT sometimes crashes when a connection is lost.

The Notices tab is user adaptable, so you can change about everything about it, by changing the template html file.
What happens is that notices.html is made from the template with the notices data.
Next the file is read by a browser that's inside the window.

External links are always executed by the default html browser.

But when you don't have html assigned to a browser, the system may want to open something else.
Try opening the notices.html file file:///C:/Users/.../AppData/Roaming/eFMer/BoincTasks/html/notices.html and see what happens.

borsti67

do you still need dump files? ;)
cu/2
Borsti :D

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on November 23, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

External links are always executed by the default html browser.

But when you don't have html assigned to a browser, the system may want to open something else.
Try opening the notices.html file file:///C:/Users/.../AppData/Roaming/eFMer/BoincTasks/html/notices.html and see what happens.

I'm familiar with the concept of a default browser, and have one assigned.  The point is that these notices have no external link included so there is nothing for the browser to do.  So Windows' default action is to open the File Manager on the file location.  Manually opening the notices.xml file in the browser produces exactly the same page seen on the notices tab. Clicking the more... hyperlink here produces another copy, and another, and so forth.

See the source listing of notices.xml below--more... hyperlink is created but nothing for it to open:
Quote</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff">

<P><FONT COLOR="#bbbbbb" SIZE=3>4+1</FONT>

<hr size="1" align="left" width="100%" color="#bbbbbb">

<br>

<P><FONT SIZE=4><B></B></FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3>_("Message from") AQUA@home: _("No work available for the applications you have selected.  Please check your project preferences on the web site.")</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR="#bbbbbb" SIZE=2>11/23/2010 11:16:44 </FONT><FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=3><a href="" target="_new">more...</a></FONT></FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=4><B></B></FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3>_("Message from") PrimeGrid: _("No work available for the applications you have selected.  Please check your project preferences on the web site.")</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR="#bbbbbb" SIZE=2>11/22/2010 16:36:27 </FONT><FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=3><a href="" target="_new">more...</a></FONT></FONT></P>

</BODY>

</HTML>

BT users who are not HTML-savvy may think they are missing out on important information.  I assume this is why the BM developers suppressed the more... hyperlink on their Notices tab if there is no external link.  Note that if the notice contains a valid external link, the process works correctly.

Beyond

Quote from: jjwhalen on November 23, 2010, 06:58:36 PM
Thanks for the quick work on this release 8)
I'm not seeing the "dropping/reconnecting" behavior as with 0.89 ;D
The random numbers are gone. 
Same here, no crashes, no disappearing computers, nci tasks correct.  Very quick release, THANKS!

Corsair

as per mail previous sent to you, there is a square at the end of every row in the log message tab.

from here looks like that crashes have gone, but as told you only could check in one computer
as I have to be out home for three days and only working with laptop (x32).

I was trying the remote control with BT, but forgot to do my homework before leaving and
not opened a DynDNS acount, and not entered such info in the remote_hosts.cfg, so can't
do anything by the moment, I'll try when come back home on weekend.
:'( :'( :'( :'(  >:(
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on November 23, 2010, 10:05:39 PM
BT users who are not HTML-savvy may think they are missing out on important information.  I assume this is why the BM developers suppressed the more... hyperlink on their Notices tab if there is no external link.  Note that if the notice contains a valid external link, the process works correctly.
Ok easy fix, I will leave out the more, when a link is empty, no problem.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on November 23, 2010, 10:45:52 PM
as per mail previous sent to you, there is a square at the end of every row in the log message tab.
I see, an unprintable character is still there.

Pepo

In the Graphic dialog, the translated equivalents of <EmptyComputer> and <EmptyProject> are probably displayed with wrong encoding - some characters in the graphic area are displayed incorrectly. All other controls in the dialogs display correct translations.

Additionally, after upgrading from BT 0.88 -> 0.90, both dialogs were initially opened off-screen. I had to use the dialog window's title bar's Move menu entry to get the four-arrows-window-move mouse "pointer" to move the window. The pointer was placed at the left border of the primary display (placed to the left of the secondary display), thus I suppose the dialog was placed at negative X coordinate? (No idea about Y.)
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 25, 2010, 12:37:41 PM
In the Graphic dialog, the translated equivalents of <EmptyComputer> and <EmptyProject> are probably displayed with wrong encoding - some characters in the graphic area are displayed incorrectly. All other controls in the dialogs display correct translations.

Additionally, after upgrading from BT 0.88 -> 0.90, both dialogs were initially opened off-screen. I had to use the dialog window's title bar's Move menu entry to get the four-arrows-window-move mouse "pointer" to move the window. The pointer was placed at the left border of the primary display (placed to the left of the secondary display), thus I suppose the dialog was placed at negative X coordinate? (No idea about Y.)
I will add a codepage in the translation file.

I haven't seen the off screen of the dialogs. The exact location is stored in the registry.
When something changes in the monitor settings, resolution, 2 -> 1 monitor the dialog may be off screen, switched monitors. The new location may be off screen.

Pepo

I'm not able to get <TranslatableBoincText> table working. Neither the "_" notation (mentioned in BoincTasks_XXX.btlang files), nor the "^" notation (mentioned in BOINC translatable text thread), are able to convince BT to translate the texts in Notices tab.

How to??
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 25, 2010, 01:41:25 PM
I'm not able to get <TranslatableBoincText> table working. Neither the "_" notation (mentioned in BoincTasks_XXX.btlang files), nor the "^" notation (mentioned in BOINC translatable text thread), are able to convince BT to translate the texts in Notices tab.

How to??
Wait for 0.91, only the messages are translated in 0.90.
0.90 uses _ but 0.91 uses ^ as _ is already in use by BOINC.
The instructions are already updated for 0.91. ::)

Pepo

Quote from: fred on November 25, 2010, 01:49:36 PM
Quote from: Pepo on November 25, 2010, 01:41:25 PM
Wait for 0.91, only the messages are translated in 0.90.
0.90 uses _ but 0.91 uses ^ as _ is already in use by BOINC.
The instructions are already updated for 0.91. ::)
Ah, I'm glad to see it really works (at least) in Messages.
Just the 'Placing two ?? in the unused string' like "<3>   ??   </>" has no effect. Did I write it incorrectly? Or does it also apply just to 0.91?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 25, 2010, 04:44:19 PM
Ah, I'm glad to see it really works (at least) in Messages.
Just the 'Placing two ?? in the unused string' like "<3>   ??   </>" has no effect. Did I write it incorrectly? Or does it also apply just to 0.91?
It should work in 0.90.
Up to now, I only found 2 strings in a couple of projects. 1 the messages and 1 the BOINC Warning.
Probably a work in progress and it's only working on the BOINC Alpha versions.