BT 0.90

Started by fred, November 23, 2010, 03:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

On my home computer, I've updated BT to 0.90 some 1 day ago (well - pretty exactly yesterday evening) and then set "Start BT upon login" checkbox. (Win XP SP3, my account has admin privileges.)

Today I've seen a loads of BT crash dump files (62, suming up to 4 GB) from two other local users, created during one hour, until the disk was full... (My running instance crashed after clicking out 2 mesages about not being able to access history log).

Using the checkbox seems to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\EFMER_BoincTasks key - for all users, no wonder that it has been starting for them. I just wonder why it has been crashing...

What about setting the startup key just for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\??
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 25, 2010, 11:43:39 PM
On my home computer, I've updated BT to 0.90 some 1 day ago (well - pretty exactly yesterday evening) and then set "Start BT upon login" checkbox. (Win XP SP3, my account has admin privileges.)

Today I've seen a loads of BT crash dump files (62, suming up to 4 GB) from two other local users, created during one hour, until the disk was full... (My running instance crashed after clicking out 2 mesages about not being able to access history log).

Using the checkbox seems to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\EFMER_BoincTasks key - for all users, no wonder that it has been starting for them. I just wonder why it has been crashing...

What about setting the startup key just for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\??
Did you set your own xml folder in the expert tab?
I never use the option to login multiple users. Had too much problems with this feature, there lots of programs that can't handle this.
Is should work OK when you use th default xml folder.
Better use run as.......

It's pretty complicated to add the current user option. I can't think of any way to.
One reason is that you have to run as administrator to set and remove the key as it is.

fred

Anyway, V 0.91 allows for a maximum of 10 crashes in the last 12 hours. This should eliminate any error looping and running out of drive space.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on November 26, 2010, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: Pepo on November 25, 2010, 11:43:39 PM
[...] I've [...] set "Start BT upon login" checkbox. (Win XP SP3, my account has admin privileges.)
Today I've seen a loads of BT crash dump files (62, suming up to 4 GB) from two other local users, [...]

Using the checkbox seems to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\EFMER_BoincTasks key - for all users [...] What about setting the startup key just for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\??
Did you set your own xml folder in the expert tab?
I never use the option to login multiple users. Had too much problems with this feature, there lots of programs that can't handle this.
Is should work OK when you use th default xml folder.
Better use run as.......

It's pretty complicated to add the current user option. I can't think of any way to.
One reason is that you have to run as administrator to set and remove the key as it is.
Now I'm somehow confused - it is more difficult to add a HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\EFMER_BoincTasks key instead of a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\EFMER_BoincTasks key? Because the HKLM one is used by multiple users, as you probably know, compared to the HKCU one.

I did not set my own xml folder, I'm using the default one.

With the "Run as...", you mean to give BT some admin rights? My account already has admin privileges.
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: fred on November 26, 2010, 11:32:44 AM
Anyway, V 0.91 allows for a maximum of 10 crashes in the last 12 hours. This should eliminate any error looping and running out of drive space.
That's a good idea!
Peter

Beyond

What happens after the 10th crash?

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 26, 2010, 11:20:33 PM
What happens after the 10th crash?
You get a popup and the program closes.
You can delete the crash files or wait for 12 hours.

Beyond

QuoteYou get a popup and the program closes.
You can delete the crash files or wait for 12 hours.
Sounds good.  So far had only 1 crash dmp form 0.90 and that was after too many large NFS WUs brought the machine to a virtual standstill.

Some projects for the Add Projects list:

AQUA@home
http://aqua.dwavesys.com/

DNETC@Home
http://dnetc.net/

GPUGRID
http://www.gpugrid.net

Leiden Classical
http://boinc.gorlaeus.net

Spinhenge@home
http://spin.fh-bielefeld.de

WUProp@Home
http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/

BobCat13

While trying to click on BOINC preference (under Extra), I accidentally clicked on BOINC proxy settings causing BT to crash.  BT is attached to localhost and one remote host.  I tried several more times just to check that it wasn't a one time crash.  Four tries while attached to local & remote all crashed, as did four tries while attached to local only.  Running XP Pro SP3 32-bit on the localhost.

glennaxl

Yeah, accessing BOINC proxy settings causes BT to crash and restart silently.

jjwhalen

Quote from: glennaxl on November 28, 2010, 12:11:10 AM
Yeah, accessing BOINC proxy settings causes BT to crash and restart silently.

Ditto for me (Win7_x64 localhost running BOINC 6.12.6α).  .dmp file available (37MB zipped).  The application log (in debug mode) didn't manage to log anything before the crash.

fred

Quote from: BobCat13 on November 27, 2010, 11:23:05 PM
While trying to click on BOINC preference (under Extra), I accidentally clicked on BOINC proxy settings causing BT to crash.  BT is attached to localhost and one remote host.  I tried several more times just to check that it wasn't a one time crash.  Four tries while attached to local & remote all crashed, as did four tries while attached to local only.  Running XP Pro SP3 32-bit on the localhost.
Ok easy fix. These stupid format instructions, for some reason, always result in a crash, when something goes wrong. ???

Pepo

I've noticed that the Task properties window shows a bit higher memory consumption figures than both BOINC Manager and e.g. Task Manager. (I've even tried to add the wrappers' consumptions to their subprocesses.)

I'll try 0.91 some hour later and then tell exact values.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 29, 2010, 12:42:56 PM
I've noticed that the Task properties window shows a bit higher memory consumption figures than both BOINC Manager and e.g. Task Manager. (I've even tried to add the wrappers' consumptions to their subprocesses.)

You are correct, for some reason I did / 1000000 and that is of course Mega, but it should of course be 1048576 that is also Mega ;D. Talk about confusing.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on November 29, 2010, 06:33:18 PM
You are correct, for some reason I did / 1000000 and that is of course Mega, but it should of course be 1048576 that is also Mega ;D. Talk about confusing.
Maybe the computer folks did one major fault with not inventing the Kibi & Mebi & Gibi & Tebi etc. binary prefixes at least some couple of decades earlier, in tandem with invention of computers etc. Now I can not get used to use them anymore - probably too late for me (OK, maybe it is not really that bad). And possibly for many, otherwise they would already be commonly used and the confusion would hopefully not happen.

I can imagine a good majority of people have not even heard about...

I think I'll better wait for 0.92 prior testing it again  8)
Peter