BT 0.97

Started by Pepo, January 14, 2011, 04:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 10:28:57 PM
Quote from: Pepo on January 19, 2011, 10:01:18 PM
Today I've switched to my (already logged-in, a few days ago, if it matters) account on the family computer. BT was already running since days. (The last time I've visited it was possibly two days ago. If it matters.) I've seen BOINC Manager's greeting about new Notices, a minute later the BT's one, about 3 new notices. Clicked, read, closed BT. But the balloon kept coming and coming, even if immediately clicked, again in 4 seconds...
BT uses this time: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks\notices\localhost_time.
Only messages past this time should be counted.

But I've seen Windows loop the message for some reason, but normally only when the icon isn't shown. So hidden in Windows 7.
It happened in WinXPand BT's icon was visible, but this probably does not matter :)
So testing is closing BT removing the key localhost_time and starting BT.
OK, the next time I'll see this, I'll restart BT and if it will still be popping up balloons, I'll use the stop-deletekey-start woodoo method ;D
Peter

Pepo

While BT kept running, I've updated the client 6.12.10->6.12.11. BT lost connection to it (it was the only connected client, local) and did not get it again even many minutes after the client (in service mode) started. I remember already having seen this in the past.

After clicking through all tabs, Tasks and Messages and Gadget were emptied, but Projects keep displayed (for a not-connected client). And, the tray tooltip still displays "machinename, Running: 2".

After a couple of minutes, I've "edited" the local computer's IP definition (it is localhost, I've just clicked on it and pressed Enter). The connection was promptly created.

From the log: 19 január 2011 - 23:02:56 GetLocalDirectory ---- C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks
19 január 2011 - 23:03:56 GetLocalDirectory ---- C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks
19 január 2011 - 23:29:22 Connect ---- Lost connection to: Host: localhost, vetroplach, Port: 31416
19 január 2011 - 23:40:43 BoincTasks is closing down all threads
19 január 2011 - 23:40:43 BoincTasks has closed down all threads
19 január 2011 - 23:40:45 BoincTasks version: 0.97
19 január 2011 - 23:40:45 Maximum number of computers: 60
19 január 2011 - 23:40:45 Computers ---- localhost get local password: (C:\Documents and Settings\All .... aplikací\BOINC\\gui_rpc_auth.cfg) blahblahblabla
19 január 2011 - 23:40:46 Computers ---- vetroplach , localhost
19 január 2011 - 23:40:46 Computers ---- pavilon6 , pavilon6
19 január 2011 - 23:40:46 GetLocalDirectory ---- C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks
19 január 2011 - 23:40:46 GetLocalDirectory ---- C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks
19 január 2011 - 23:40:46 Heap checking  ---- WARNING: is enabled
19 január 2011 - 23:40:46 Connect ---- Connected to: Host: localhost, vetroplach, Port: 31416, BOINC Version: 6.12.11
19 január 2011 - 23:40:47 GetLocalDirectory ---- C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks
19 január 2011 - 23:40:49 Connect, init ---- Host: pavilon6, pavilon6,Port: 31416, Couldn't resolve hostname
Peter

jjwhalen

Filter based on plan class (too):

Primegrid just today deployed a new GPU application user-friendly name Cullen/Woodall Prime Search (Sieve) (cuda23) as a companion to the CPU version which has been around for awhile.  The .exe's (on a 64-bit machine) are primegrid_gcwsieve_1.12_windows_intelx86__cuda23 and primegrid_gcwsieve_1.12_windows_x86_64 respectively.

With work onboard for both apps and the task filter off, individual tasks are correctly displayed as CPU or GPU.  With the filter on, both types are combined into a single line entry :(

Request you refine the filter parameters to keep the two plan classes separate.  You'll recall we went through this with SETI & SETI Beta tasks also, when both projects were using the same app version number ;)  Note that in the present case, version numbers are also the same (1.12).

jjwhalen

Quote from: Pepo on January 19, 2011, 10:49:18 PM
While BT kept running, I've updated the client 6.12.10->6.12.11. BT lost connection to it (it was the only connected client, local) and did not get it again even many minutes after the client (in service mode) started. I remember already having seen this in the past.

Interesting.  I also updated localhost today 6.12.10->6.12.11 (all hosts actually) with BT still running. but BT had no trouble reconnecting to local or remotes ???  But I'm not running in protected (service) mode.

Pepo

To add to my connection problem: the reconnect time is IIRC set to 710 seconds. I guess this does matter.
Peter

fred

After clicking through all tabs, Tasks and Messages and Gadget were emptied, but Projects keep displayed (for a not-connected client). And, the tray tooltip still displays "machinename, Running: 2".

After a couple of minutes, I've "edited" the local computer's IP definition (it is localhost, I've just clicked on it and pressed Enter). The connection was promptly created.
BT probably isn't able to reconnect, most likely not allowed. Changing the name is almost the same as closing down BT and restarting it.
You may want to disable the HEAP checking, it will slow down things considerably.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on January 19, 2011, 10:51:14 PM
Filter based on plan class (too):

Primegrid just today deployed a new GPU application user-friendly name Cullen/Woodall Prime Search (Sieve) (cuda23) as a companion to the CPU version which has been around for awhile.  The .exe's (on a 64-bit machine) are primegrid_gcwsieve_1.12_windows_intelx86__cuda23 and primegrid_gcwsieve_1.12_windows_x86_64 respectively.

With work onboard for both apps and the task filter off, individual tasks are correctly displayed as CPU or GPU.  With the filter on, both types are combined into a single line entry :(

Request you refine the filter parameters to keep the two plan classes separate.  You'll recall we went through this with SETI & SETI Beta tasks also, when both projects were using the same app version number ;)  Note that in the present case, version numbers are also the same (1.12).

What's in the column Use and Application in both cases.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 11:20:17 PM
What's in the column Use and Application in both cases.
CPU App:
Application = 1.12 Cullen/Woodall Prime Search (Sieve)
Use = (null field)

GPU App:
Application = 1.12 Cullen/Woodall Prime Search (Sieve) (cuda23)
Use = 0.18C + 1NV (condensed Use column :))

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 11:17:16 PM
While BT kept running, I've updated the client 6.12.10->6.12.11. BT lost connection to it (it was the only connected client, local) and did not get it again even many minutes after the client (in service mode) started.
BT probably isn't able to reconnect, most likely not allowed. Changing the name is almost the same as closing down BT and restarting it.
What does mean "not allowed"? By what (rule)?

After clicking through all tabs, Tasks and Messages and Gadget were emptied, but Projects kept displayed (for a not-connected client). And, the tray tooltip still displays "machinename, Running: 2".
What about these?

Quote from: Pepo on January 19, 2011, 11:07:47 PM
To add to my connection problem: the reconnect time is IIRC set to 710 seconds. I guess this does matter.
In such situation in the past, I've also tried to lower the reconnect interval to few seconds (while BT kept running, without IP editing), with no influence. Could it be that the (710 sec, in my case) countdown still kept running without reset?

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 11:17:16 PM
From the log: 19 január 2011 - 23:40:46 Heap checking  ---- WARNING: is enabled

You may want to disable the HEAP checking, it will slow down things considerably.
And, where? If I did it, I've already forgot when and where :-[

(looking for  .....) I've found <heap_check> mentioned just in C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\examples\log\log.xml, my C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log\log.xml does not contain it. Or is the heap checking active by default and I have to explicitly set it =0 to disable?
Peter

Beyond

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 09:51:56 PM
Quote from: Beyond on January 19, 2011, 09:33:10 PM
Smart mode was on, changed max update time from 30 to 120, have no rules set.  Decided to change the 2 WiFi clients to longer range adapters and that seems to have helpped a lot.  V0.97 is running much better now (0.96 was starting to do the same as 0.97 but never as bad, probably just chance).  Seems when the connection to any client is even a little flaky, BT chokes.  Think that should be addressed.  With the 10 CPUs (40 cores) and 16 GPUs running there's an average of 5 WUs a minute completing, so there's always many close to completion.  That's probably quite a bit more than most BT users are seeing and I'm sure that's contributing to the problem.  Thanks very much for the help, Fred!
I made a note to add an lean option in a version to come.
You probably already have a recent release version of BOINC The later version cause less history overhead.
Of course closing BT to the taskbar gives the least overhead. Bringing it up with a hot-key is the best way.
I had a mixture of BOINC 6.12.6, 6.12.10 and 6.12.11.  Updated them all to 6.12.11 now and always have kept BT closed to the taskbar.  BT resource use also seems better since updating to longer range adapters on the 2 WiFi boxes.  Thanks again!

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 20, 2011, 09:11:28 AM

(looking for  .....) I've found <heap_check> mentioned just in C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\examples\log\log.xml, my C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log\log.xml does not contain it. Or is the heap checking active by default and I have to explicitly set it =0 to disable?
It's default off.
When it's switched on you get a message, 1 per computer.
C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log

BT needs to be restarted for this to become effective.

<log>
   <options>
      <heap_check>         0   </heap_check>
   </options>
</log>

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 20, 2011, 07:32:25 PM
Quote from: Pepo on January 20, 2011, 09:11:28 AM

It's default off.
When it's switched on you get a message, 1 per computer.
C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log
I beg to disagree. It must be on per default. I had to create the non-existing log.xml with explicit <heap_check> 0 </heap_check> to be able to disable it. (To clarify, on my two machines, one had and other one did not have C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log\log.xml, without mentioning <heap_check>, and I had to define it and set to zero to switch it off.)

Never mind, it's already off.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 20, 2011, 08:00:58 PM
I beg to disagree. It must be on per default. I had to create the non-existing log.xml with explicit <heap_check> 0 </heap_check> to be able to disable it. (To clarify, on my two machines, one had and other one did not have C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log\log.xml, without mentioning <heap_check>, and I had to define it and set to zero to switch it off.)

Never mind, it's already off.
You are of course right, this may cause BT to seriously slow down.
Fixed in 0.98

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 17, 2011, 06:20:01 PM
Quote from: Pepo on January 17, 2011, 02:00:20 PM
BOINC Manager's Notices tab displays corresponding notices with headlines "SETI@home/Enigma@Home: Notice from server". BT displays the same notices as translated (because of the existing matching translation strings in the .btlang's translation part), but BT is completely missing the projects' headlines - just a thick empty line appear there.
So, either the BOINC Manager is guessing and generating the missing headline (with "Notice"), or BT is loosing an existing headline. Any clue how is it actually?
The latest version probably has an additional flag, for the received from. In the todo list.

I've noticed something very similar, although not exactly the same - no translation involved, different feed entries' date and I've not found corresponding lines in Messages.

BT displays:
Quote from: BoincTasks

Upload Server Issues
Our upload server is having disk problems. The whole project is down until this is fixed. It may be a day or two.
19.01.11 00:03 viac...

Note that there is some headline (in contrast to previously reported incomplete notices), but there is additionally an empty leading line as if the headline would indeed be missing.

BOINC Manager's corresponding version is again enhanced:
Quote from: BOINC Manager
SETI@home: Upload Server Issues
Our upload server is having disk problems. The whole project is down until this is fixed. It may be a day or two.
20.01.2011 20:49:39 more...
It again contains also the project name. Well, let's see why does it stay disclosed...

QuoteThe tag for Messages / Show project / "Include general messages" menu entry is missing in .btlang files.
This got possibly overlooked? Neither in 0.98, nor in the ToDo list... (Something like "<GroupPopUpMe ssages> <ShowGeneralMessages> Include general messages </> </GroupPopUpMessages>"?)
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 21, 2011, 03:06:11 PM
QuoteThe tag for Messages / Show project / "Include general messages" menu entry is missing in .btlang files.
This got possibly overlooked? Neither in 0.98, nor in the ToDo list... (Something like "<GroupPopUpMe ssages> <ShowGeneralMessages> Include general messages </> </GroupPopUpMessages>"?)
Everything should be in the to do list.