News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Testing Version 3.41

Started by fred, March 26, 2011, 03:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Quote from: KraftR on June 13, 2011, 04:06:17 PM
Hey Fred,
Well I am simply amazed! And that is rarely said from my lips!
Out of the box (once I guessed at the settings) it worked fantastically! Ha ha!
Maybe an inline usage help - or a link to a website would help newbies like me!
Needs a display throttle? I don't need real-time updates. A 5 second refresh is good enough for me.
Now I have to figure out how to make a PayPal account to send you a few bucks!
Thanks for an excellent tool...and my hot baby thanks you as well...!!!
Smilin' KraftR
The manual with all the links is installed and give access to this forum.
And for a donation you don't need any PayPal account, unless you don't have a Credit Card. You can pay directly by Credit Card.

KraftR

Hey Fred,
The help info must be hidden somewhere else?
Or I missed it when it launched? Nothing inside the tool.
And (BTW) if you hit F1 you get a "no help here" message.
I am happy with how it is running - just wanna know what I am looking at?
Smilin'
KraftR

fred

Quote from: KraftR on June 13, 2011, 04:25:40 PM
Hey Fred,
The help info must be hidden somewhere else?
Or I missed it when it launched? Nothing inside the tool.
And (BTW) if you hit F1 you get a "no help here" message.
I am happy with how it is running - just wanna know what I am looking at?
Smilin'
KraftR
All programs -> eFMer TThrottle -> Manual
About -> Internet address at the bottom.
But I will catch the F1 button in the next 4.3 version, to redirect it to the manual.

KraftR

Bingo! I didn't even bother to look there for help... Ha!
BTW, the graph display interval is not preserved after a reboot.
It goes back to the default setting - just an oversight...

Think about a polling interval (in milliseconds) for reading the temperature sensors.
Not sure what your polling interval is set to now - but it seems almost real-time...?
Sure it makes for nice smooth operations and more even graphs...
...but doesn't a short polling interval itself add some overhead?

I use another tool to monitor the temperature sensors.
And it seems to work just fine at 3-5K milliseconds.
Thanks, KraftR

fred

Quote from: KraftR on June 13, 2011, 05:42:53 PM
Think about a polling interval (in milliseconds) for reading the temperature sensors.
Indeed they are, but the overhead is very low. I hate wasted CPU time.
But TThrottle is designed as a temperature regulator, so it wants up to date info.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on June 14, 2011, 05:09:41 AM
Quote from: KraftR on June 13, 2011, 05:42:53 PM
Indeed they are, but the overhead is very low. I hate wasted CPU time.
But TThrottle is designed as a temperature regulator, so it wants up to date info.
TThrottle CPU usage is very low on all my machines.  I agree that real time or very short interval polling is important for this app.

KraftR

Ok Folks...been running very clean since I started running a few days ago!
Here are a few of my observations...

I don't mind the real-time polling of the temperature sensor.
Just don't let me see it displaying that fast in the utility... Ha Ha!
Fake it out for the user so they won't think the same thing...
At least bring the display updates down to once a second?
Look at that Temperature window jumpin' all around! Smilin'

I have had this line in the first slot of each of my logging blocks since I last rebooted.
What is "slot 18" all about? I only have four cores (8 CPUs).
CPU:1, GPU:0, PID:7044 (3)   Slot:18   http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/   ap_06ap11af_B1_P1_00612_20110604_11517.wu

And another observation...choppy CPU utilization working with Boinc Manager.
I set the Boinc Manager to a MAX of 90% CPU usage before I went to bed last night.
I noticed a periodic oscillation in the (8) CPU graphic monitor I have running in a Gadget...
The overall CPU oscillation seemed to be on a 60 second interval as per Boinc's checkpoint value?
If I set Boinc back to 100% CPU utilization then this oscillation smooths out to nothing...

And another observation...it seems CPU (1 & 2) are being picked on by somebody?
The heat levels are consistent across all (4) Cores. But CPU (1 & 2) are being throttled hard? maybe?
There is a SETI job assigned to each of the (8) CPUs - so there is always work running.
But CPU (1 & 2) are only 25% utilized - even though the others are running at 75% or more.
Tthrotle has done its job well...the maximum Core temp has stayed at my 88C setting...

Now...if I suspend Boinc...watching all the CPUs fall back to zero...and go have a cig now...
All of the CPU temps drop down to 65C -> which is my normal base temp for this ASUS laptop.
(yes I know -> don't debate about the heat sinks again...this baby likes to run hot. Ha ha!)

I then un-suspend Boinc -> bang all CPUs scream back to 100% - reaching 88C in 20 seconds.
Then Tthrolle kicks in doing its job - but CPU (1 & 2) gradually drops to 25% over a few minutes?
The other CPUs get throttled back to 75-80% utilization and all temps smooth out nicely...
I am going to reboot to see if this abnormal behavior for CPU (1 & 2) goes away or not...???

Note also I have Boinc set to suspend if I use more then 15% of the CPU for other tasks.
I do have about 50 websites open in seven other browser sessions -> idling away at 5% usage.
Boinc kicks in and suspends everything nicely when I start doing work in the various windows...

I am not ready to reboot quite yet - I still have a lot of work pending in those 50 windows.
So I will shutdown/restart Boinc and those 8 SETI tasks -> to reset their CPU affinity now.
No change after restarting the SETI tasks... I am shutting down the 50 websites now...
That seems to have fixed it! Strange? maybe two of the browsers were idling too fast?

Which brings me to another question?
When (or if) does Tthrottle - throttle NON-Boinc processes?
Thanks KraftR

fred

Quote from: KraftR on June 15, 2011, 01:18:23 PM
Ok Folks...been running very clean since I started running a few days ago!
Here are a few of my observations...
1) The slots are folders that hold the WU and the programs that belong to it.
2) BOINC itself uses a very crude on off regulator that switches everything off for a couple of seconds and lets everything running again, this can cause some large spikes, certainly on a I7 notebook.
3) Work is assigned to a certain core by Windows, not much you can do about. Some programs, like the browser can take up a certain core.
You may want to try out V 4.2, it runs a lot better on my own I7 notebook. It's still beta, but I think there are no bugs with 4.20.
What you can try is another browser, some browsers use less CPU time than others. I used Firefox, but Chrome uses a bit less, not a problem on a regular PC, but notable on a laptop.
And there are a lot of other programs running, more than you like.