BT 1.02

Started by Pepo, April 13, 2011, 09:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 27, 2011, 02:17:04 PM
Thanks Fred!  I started using Priority to set it low but your solution is better (as usual).  After running a little over 2 days in "low" without a BT restart I finally closed it and reloaded BT manually.  At that point the CPU time was 3 hours and 50 minutes.  Is that normal or is it excessive here?
As I have no idea what is causing this, I have to wait a couple of weeks, before I have enough computer power to do some more testing.

Pepo

Two found:

• An errored-out (but not reported yet) task's Properties window is empty.
  • My tasks are sorted according to 1. Progress % column, 2. Task state column. While computing is allowed, all is fine. While snoozed, the errored-out task's line (at 100%) is placed over my QCN task's line (now at 243%). When resumed, the sorting is again correct.
Peter

Pepo

And one more still trying to hide itself - the tray icon's "GPU suspended" indicator still gets out of sync:
Quote from: Pepo on March 01, 2011, 04:14:20 PM
  • the tray icon's "GPU suspended" indicator is really still buggy... I'm using it multiple times daily and it often keeps solid red even if nothing is suspended (and BT also thinks so, according to its tray popup menu without any checkbox and countdown timer).
  • and, related, the indicator is sometimes solid white, although the computation is snoozed.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on April 28, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
And one more still trying to hide itself - the tray icon's "GPU suspended" indicator still gets out of sync:
  • the tray icon's "GPU suspended" indicator is really still buggy... I'm using it multiple times daily and it often keeps solid red even if nothing is suspended (and BT also thinks so, according to its tray popup menu without any checkbox and countdown timer).
  • and, related, the indicator is sometimes solid white, although the computation is snoozed.
Is there any pattern? Can you reproduce it?

Pepo

Quote from: fred on April 28, 2011, 11:46:16 PM
I understand your needs...

Hard to say. I interact with BT pretty often. And as soon as I notice the screen interactions get slowed down, I open the tray's context menu and snooze GPU (for a hour). This can happen 5-10 x daily. And some time (hours to days) later I notice that the red (or white) circle is being constantly lit.

Language :P corner: Just thinking of... hey, any Englishmen around? I believe have to write, correctly, "for a hour", but is it then pronounced "for en aur" (because of the omitted "h" when pronounced)? Because, I was tempted to write "for an hour", but I suspect it would be wrong.
Peter

Beyond

Quote from: Pepo on April 29, 2011, 11:58:48 AM
the tray icon's "GPU suspended" indicator is really still buggy... I'm using it multiple times daily and it often keeps solid red even if nothing is suspended (and BT also thinks so, according to its tray popup menu without any checkbox and countdown timer).
Slightly off topic question, what GPU project?  What settings for that project?  It may be better to fix the slowdown at that level rather than snoozing.

Quote from: Pepo
Language :P corner: Just thinking of... hey, any Englishmen around? I believe have to write, correctly, "for a hour", but is it then pronounced "for en aur" (because of the omitted "h" when pronounced)? Because, I was tempted to write "for an hour", but I suspect it would be wrong.
"An hour" is correct at least in US English, or should that be North Americish ;D.  The key is what the next sound is after "a" or "an".  If it's a vowel sound it's "an".  The reason is more or less logical.  It's easier to say.

Pepo

This morning I've restarted BT, in order to be able to notice any behavioral pattern. I've even created a shortcut to snooze GPU for just a couple of minutes, and used it a lot too (in addition to 1 hour standard snooze). Both at least 20-30 times today.
The indicator is still flashing correctly!!
(OK, let's see after the weekend. I'm sure it will turn wrong, just how to notice when? I suppose BT is flipping this indicator with some particular function, which has a callback somewhere to be regularly invoked each 1 second. Could the events be written in a log file (do we already have one?), when the callback is enabled or disabled? I could be then checking this...)

Quote from: Beyond on April 29, 2011, 02:03:06 PM
Quote from: Pepo on April 29, 2011, 11:58:48 AM
... I'm using [the "GPU suspend"] multiple times daily ...
Slightly off topic question, what GPU project?  What settings for that project?  It may be better to fix the slowdown at that level rather than snoozing.
Some projects produce nearly unnoticeable slowdown, some do it "more thoroughly" :D and especially the PrimeGrid produces THE killer app(s) for my graphics ;D
You can take a look at the discussion in Topic: Directed GPU Use Option????

Quote from: Beyond
Quote from: Pepo
"An hour" is correct at least in US English, or should that be North Americish ;D.  The key is what the next sound is after "a" or "an".  If it's a vowel sound it's "an".  The reason is more or less logical.  It's easier to say.
OK, this means, in contrast to what I've thought (but confirming what I've felt and wished), that the pronunciation of the following word is important, rather than its spelling, right?
(Learnt again something new (what I possibly knew a few decades ago ;D) Anyone speaking UK English around, for their point of view?)
Peter

fred

For 1.03 I added snooze logging. Maybe this will show us what's going on.

idahofisherman

I discover BT 1.02 running sluggish on an XP3 system with all the latest fixes.  I started the system manager and discovered that notices was looping and using 48 percent of the CPU time consistently. This went on for several minutes.  I was forced to end the process which broke everything loose to run normally.  I have the notice update check set to every 60 minutes. BT is set to update every 2 minutes.  I then exited BT and restarted it and observed the task manager as running okay. Did not see notices task in list.

If there is anything I can do to help you with this problem let  me know.  I have been running BT 1.02 since it came available and have not noticed this before.  I usually check BT about every four hours, except during the night.

I might  mention that I have a in house network of seven computers all running BOinc.

fred

Quote from: idahofisherman on May 01, 2011, 09:30:59 PM
I discover BT 1.02 running sluggish on an XP3 system with all the latest fixes.  I started the system manager and discovered that notices was looping and using 48 percent of the CPU time consistently. This went on for several minutes.  I was forced to end the process which broke everything loose to run normally.  I have the notice update check set to every 60 minutes. BT is set to update every 2 minutes.  I then exited BT and restarted it and observed the task manager as running okay. Did not see notices task in list.

If there is anything I can do to help you with this problem let  me know.  I have been running BT 1.02 since it came available and have not noticed this before.  I usually check BT about every four hours, except during the night.

I might  mention that I have a in house network of seven computers all running BOinc.
It should update at the time interval set, but it only updates the screen when there are any changes.
Most likely something went wrong on the computer itself.
On a new notice, BT creates a new file in the user folder: eFMer\BoincTasks\html\notices.html
Next the file is read with some sort of internal copy of Microsoft's IE.

When you see this happen, maybe never again, check the notices.html time stamp, to see if a new copy is  made, over and over again.

idahofisherman

BT 1.02 does not pick up new notices from other computers on local network other than the computer that BT is on.   Am I missing setting somewhere.  When I look at C:\program files\emfer\boinctasts\html  All I find is an example notice file which hasn't be updated since January.

I checked four of the machines and brought them upto 6.22.26 boinc.  There are newer notices on one of the machines that is not displayed in BT.

Pepo

Quote from: idahofisherman on May 02, 2011, 06:03:28 AM
I checked four of the machines and brought them upto 6.22.26 boinc.
I suppose you've meant 6.12.26 boinc.
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on April 29, 2011, 05:04:27 PM
This morning I've restarted BT, in order to be able to notice any behavioral pattern. I've even created a shortcut to snooze GPU for just a couple of minutes, and used it a lot too (in addition to 1 hour standard snooze). Both at least 20-30 times today.
The indicator is still flashing correctly!!
(OK, let's see after the weekend. I'm sure it will turn wrong, just how to notice when?
So, the weekend is over. As my display was being slowed down, I've opened BT to check, whether it is, as expected, some "offending GPU task" - it was a "GPUGRID   6.13 Long runs   A535-TONI_AGG1-14-100-RND9332_0" task, so I've snoozed GPU - the tray icon circle stayed solid white.

It happens, just hard to predict, when.

Quote from: fred on April 29, 2011, 08:07:31 PM
Quote from: Pepo on April 29, 2011, 05:04:27 PM
I suppose BT is flipping this indicator with some particular function, which has a callback somewhere to be regularly invoked each 1 second. Could the events be written in a log file (do we already have one?), when the callback is enabled or disabled? I could be then checking this...)
For 1.03 I added snooze logging. Maybe this will show us what's going on.
I'm looking forward!
Peter

fred

Quote from: idahofisherman on May 02, 2011, 06:03:28 AM
BT 1.02 does not pick up new notices from other computers on local network other than the computer that BT is on.   Am I missing setting somewhere.  When I look at C:\program files\emfer\boinctasts\html  All I find is an example notice file which hasn't be updated since January.

I checked four of the machines and brought them upto 6.22.26 boinc.  There are newer notices on one of the machines that is not displayed in BT.
BT only displays one computer at a time.
Select the computer from the sidebar computer selection.
The default machine is the localhost.

Pepo

I've seen one Notices notification issue. I've opened my locked Windows account session at around 12:17-12:19. A moment later I've opened BT, a brief glance at running and finished tasks, reported the few unreported yet. Then I've noticed BT reporting "Notices (1)" on its tab. Clicked there (I assume at around 12:25), seen this (3 most recent out of approx. 19 notices (upper time is the notice's creation time, lower time is its delivery time)):

Quote from: BT Notices

26.04.11 12:55
World Community Grid: Earth Day 2011 event - The Clean Energy Project webcast replay
On Earth Day, April 22, 2011, Dr. Alan Aspuru-Guzik provided an update for The Clean Energy Project via webcast. Here are the links to the webcast and the related question and answer session.
(05.05.11 12:24) viac...

05.05.11 02:56
AQUA@home: Oznam od servera
AQUA's mt4 applications need at least 4 available cores
(05.05.11 02:56)

04.05.11 12:32
ibercivis: Oznam od servera
Nie je k dispozícii žiadna práca pre aplikácie, ktoré ste si zvolili. Skontrolujte si prosím Vaše nastavenia projektu na webovej stránke.
(04.05.11 12:32)

A few seconds later I've switched back to Tasks and minimized BT.

A bit (at most one minute) later (it was exactly at 12:26 according to the clock) a "New Notice" notification balloon popped up - "1 new notice". I've took a look, but nothing new - the most recent one was still the already read one from 12:24.
Peter