BT 1.02

Started by Pepo, April 13, 2011, 09:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

My overdue QCN task, mentioned in
Quote from: Pepo on April 08, 2011, 10:30:07 AM
Now already two weeks after its deadline...

Quote from: Pepo on April 09, 2011, 08:43:19 PM
Quote from: fred on April 09, 2011, 05:49:40 PM
Quote from: Pepo on April 09, 2011, 04:28:59 PM
Quote from: fred on April 08, 2011, 07:29:36 PM
on the bug list: Bug: Don't show negative time left and deadline.
No nooooo please hold on! Both are good indications of either buggy application or a time past deadline.
Ok I change this into ??, indicating an error in the number.
The values are way out of range and the actual numbers mean nothing.
With negative Time left you're probably right - meaningless value calculated out of meaningless values? "??" could be a good replacement.
But the red negative Deadline value is still correct, whether in "date+time" or relative "dd,hh:mm" format, isn't it?

The Remaining time estimate is still displayed as "-" instead of "??". In the task's Properties, the Estimate is being a copy of Elapsed time!!

Deadline time is still correctly displayed in date+time mode, correctly warn-lighted in both modes, but blank (instead of either "??" or "-ddd,hh:mm:ss" :'() in the second mode.
Peter

Pepo

Now each right-mouse-click in any of the tabs is finally followed by having some line(s) selected and opening its/their context menu (unless someone will find some exception, like due to a missing or "zero-wide" or "unexpectedly placed" column).

But there are two groups of tabs with a bit different row (re)selection behavior, as a reaction to a right-mouse-click:

• Computers + Messages: the "usual" way:
    • if no line is selected, right-clicking any line selects it
    • if any (1 or more) lines are selected, right-clicking on one of them keeps the selection
    • if any lines are selected, right-clicking on any other line moves the selection to the new line
  • Projects + Tasks + Transfers + History: the "BoincTasks" way ::):
    • if any (1 or more) lines are selected, right-clicking on one of them keeps the selection
    • if any lines are selected, right-clicking on any other line does not move, but still keeps the selection

Would it be possible to implement the first variant also for Projects + Tasks + Transfers + History tabs?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on April 14, 2011, 09:59:31 AM
Would it be possible to implement the first variant also for Projects + Tasks + Transfers + History tabs?
No problem.

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on April 14, 2011, 09:59:31 AM
Now each right-mouse-click in any of the tabs is finally followed by having some line(s) selected and opening its/their context menu (unless someone will find some exception, like due to a missing or "zero-wide" or "unexpectedly placed" column).

... row (re)selection behavior, as a reaction to a right-mouse-click:

• Tasks:
Spoken too soon :( I've just found an exception, just no rule to it. On the Tasks tab, no line is selected and right-clicking any line does not select it. Computer column is fifth from the right, all columns are visible, so it must be something else. Since the installation yesterday, there were already "hundreds" of lines been selected and unselected.
Peter

Beyond

I'm seeing more crashes here in 1.02 than in recent previous versions.  1.01 had a few more than previous and 1.02 has about double that of 1.01 (about 1 dmp file/day).  It may well be related to clients that have a less than reliable connection (wireless).

Also, for all tabs except "Computer" (in which columns are all left justified) most columns are left justified while a few are right justified.  For instance in the "History" tab all columns are left justified except "Completed", "Reported" and "Elapsed Time".  Could they all be made left justified?

Pepo

Quote from: Beyond on April 18, 2011, 05:56:02 PM
Also, for all tabs except "Computer" (in which columns are all left justified) most columns are left justified while a few are right justified.
It is so on purpose.
QuoteFor instance in the "History" tab all columns are left justified except "Completed", "Reported" and "Elapsed Time".  Could they all be made left justified?
No, please not! :o except that it would be a user settings. I can not imagine e.g. a left-justified debt column or credits, or relative-time values :-X
Peter

fred

I'm seeing more crashes here in 1.02 than in recent previous versions.  1.01 had a few more than previous and 1.02 has about double that of 1.01 (about 1 dmp file/day).  It may well be related to clients that have a less than reliable connection (wireless).
Nice to have a couple of 1.02 dumps to see if I can find something.
And indeed, I expect it to be something deep, in the connection routines.

Corsair

in read colour settings / record colour setting is not exported the colour for High Priority GPU.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on April 18, 2011, 09:21:32 PM
in read colour settings / record colour setting is not exported the colour for High Priority GPU.
On the bug list.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on April 18, 2011, 07:23:32 PM
Nice to have a couple of 1.02 dumps to see if I can find something.  And indeed, I expect it to be something deep, in the connection routines.
Five of the little dears are uploaded, zipped:

BoincTasks_102_21-04-2011_13-04.zip
BoincTasks_102_23-04-2011_11-40.zip
BoincTasks_102_24-04-2011_22-56.zip
BoincTasks_102_25-04-2011_13-44.zip
BoincTasks_102_25-04-2011_15-16.zip

BT restarts many times a day but leaves a dmp file less regularly.  In the last few days I've found that changing the BT priority to "below" works better and changing it to "low" is even better (far fewer restarts and less CPU time used).  History is set at 1 day.

Pepo

An Einstein CPU task was suddenly highlighted with violet color, which I could not find to be defined for either Tasks or Warnings or whatever (except some downloads using a similar color). The task was using just some 9-12% of CPU and the corresponding value in CPU% column was highlighted accordingly. After limiting CPU throttle to max. 10%, other running tasks got their warning CPU% highlight too, but not this violet full-line highlight.

After some half hour the task used 91% of CPU and was already highlighted with usual 'running CPU task' color (green). High priority is defined as an absolutely different color (yellow).
Peter

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 25, 2011, 05:40:13 PM
Five of the little dears are uploaded, zipped:

BT restarts many times a day but leaves a dmp file less regularly.  In the last few days I've found that changing the BT priority to "below" works better and changing it to "low" is even better (far fewer restarts and less CPU time used).  History is set at 1 day.
All but one crash is in the history section. But.... as this is the only part of the program that's running, it's not that much of a clue.
I will check the history routines.
But these kind of errors can come from anywhere and point to some sort of memory corruption.

Beyond

Fred, don't know if this is much of a hint:  if I set the boinctasks64.exe to low priority I get no restarts (2 straight days now).  Set to normal it restarts many times a day.  I have no idea why setting BT to low priority helps.   ???

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 26, 2011, 09:12:51 PM
Fred, don't know if this is much of a hint:  if I set the boinctasks64.exe to low priority I get no restarts (2 straight days now).  Set to normal it restarts many times a day.  I have no idea why setting BT to low priority helps.   ???
I will add an expert option in 1.03, to set the priority to below and low.
Probably a timing issue somewhere, not necessarily in BT.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on April 26, 2011, 11:15:33 PM
Quote from: Beyond on April 26, 2011, 09:12:51 PM
Fred, don't know if this is much of a hint:  if I set the boinctasks64.exe to low priority I get no restarts (2 straight days now).  Set to normal it restarts many times a day.  I have no idea why setting BT to low priority helps.
I will add an expert option in 1.03, to set the priority to below and low.  Probably a timing issue somewhere, not necessarily in BT.
Thanks Fred!  I started using Priority to set it low but your solution is better (as usual).  After running a little over 2 days in "low" without a BT restart I finally closed it and reloaded BT manually.  At that point the CPU time was 3 hours and 50 minutes.  Is that normal or is it excessive here?