Different computer locations

Started by fred, April 26, 2011, 06:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

As of 1.03.

Normally the computer information is stored in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks

A command line option lets you select more than one collection of computers.

Like:
BoincTasks.exe /location home
BoincTasks.exe /location work

In folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\locations
home.xml.
work.xml
Are created.

To copy an existing collection, close BoincTasks and copy computers.xml -> \locations\
Delete home.xml and rename computers.xml into home.xml.

Pepo

If the "/location" flag will not be specified, will BT again look for "...\eFMer\BoincTasks\computers.xml" (and start with an empty computer set, if the default is not found)?

Fred, could you consider moving "...\eFMer\BoincTasks\computers.xml" into "...\eFMer\locations\computers.xml" (by either the 1.03 installer or BT 1.03 when first started)? Calling "BoincTasks.exe /location computers" would then be equivalent to calling "BoincTasks.exe" without any "/location" flag/switch, but most importantly, no confusion with lost computers would happen (except that someone would downgrade 1.03+ to 1.02-, but something like this happens in rare cases). And, the location for the file(s) would be consistent.

One more question: if the "\locations\" folder is not placed under "...\eFMer\BoincTasks\", but directly under  "...\eFMer\", is it intended to be used by more eFMer applications?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on April 27, 2011, 10:22:22 AM
1) If the "/location" flag will not be specified, will BT again look for "...\eFMer\BoincTasks\computers.xml" (and start with an empty computer set, if the default is not found)?

2) Fred, could you consider moving "...\eFMer\BoincTasks\computers.xml" into "...\eFMer\locations\computers.xml" (by either the 1.03 installer or BT 1.03 when first started)? Calling "BoincTasks.exe /location computers" would then be equivalent to calling "BoincTasks.exe" without any "/location" flag/switch, but most importantly, no confusion with lost computers would happen (except that someone would downgrade 1.03+ to 1.02-, but something like this happens in rare cases). And, the location for the file(s) would be consistent.

3) One more question: if the "\locations\" folder is not placed under "...\eFMer\BoincTasks\", but directly under  "...\eFMer\", is it intended to be used by more eFMer applications?
1) Yes, it will work as before wen /LOCATION isn't used.
2) No, because every file in the location map is a location, making computer an location as well. And the backwards compatibility issues of course.
3) Typo.

Corsair

well moving around the idea is quite good, but I think is not complete, I explain.

if BT is set to run at windows start-up, what default will do?? as you stated will works as no location.

if I want to auto start-up with different location, should be an option in the setting with the start with windows to choose the location desired.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on April 27, 2011, 10:39:36 PM
well moving around the idea is quite good, but I think is not complete, I explain.

if BT is set to run at windows start-up, what default will do?? as you stated will works as no location.

if I want to auto start-up with different location, should be an option in the setting with the start with windows to choose the location desired.
Yes that's what I thought at first.
But why autostart and waiting for a selection to be made.
Or just start the right one manually, it's just as quick.