TThrottle is not throttling Milkyway@Home gpu tasks on 3.52

Started by book_wyrm, April 27, 2011, 01:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

book_wyrm

Tried a few Milkyway WU. It seems running in Admin mode has no effect. I've tried a few units with 'connect with boinc client' checked and a few units with it unchecked.

fred

I tested everything.... and it works ok. I can't find anything wrong.
You may want to check 3.60, when it's released, maybe something I did made a difference.

book_wyrm

I've tried the new 3.60 version with 2 milkyway tasks and the same problems still persist. I think it could just simply be a combination of my hardware, software and milkyway@home if it doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else. I can't see anyone else on the MW forums having this trouble. I'm currently trying Einstein@home and so far it seems that TThrottle is working properly.

fred

Quote from: book_wyrm on May 21, 2011, 02:35:30 PM
I've tried the new 3.60 version with 2 milkyway tasks and the same problems still persist. I think it could just simply be a combination of my hardware, software and milkyway@home if it doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else. I can't see anyone else on the MW forums having this trouble. I'm currently trying Einstein@home and so far it seems that TThrottle is working properly.
What I'm working on right now is moving the regulator to the driver. Lots of interesting work ;D, this should also eliminate any access problems in Win 7.
Hopefully this will solve this problem as well.

book_wyrm

I'll look forward to the future versions. I'll make sure to test them to see whether the milkyway problem still affects me or not.
Also, do you think that this is specifically a TThrottle problem? What are the chances of this being a milkyway problem? I have now gone through 3 einstein@home tasks and temperature control works perfectly fine with those as well.

fred

Quote from: book_wyrm on May 21, 2011, 06:07:14 PM
I'll look forward to the future versions. I'll make sure to test them to see whether the milkyway problem still affects me or not.
Also, do you think that this is specifically a TThrottle problem? What are the chances of this being a milkyway problem? I have now gone through 3 einstein@home tasks and temperature control works perfectly fine with those as well.
I have no idea what's the problem.

wicked

Quote from: fred on May 21, 2011, 04:08:13 PM
What I'm working on right now is moving the regulator to the driver. Lots of interesting work ;D, this should also eliminate any access problems in Win 7.

More code in kernel mode of the driver? Sounds scary.. you need to be extra careful for not introducing any bugs when coding in that area.

fred

Quote from: wicked on May 25, 2011, 11:53:27 AM
Quote from: fred on May 21, 2011, 04:08:13 PM
More code in kernel mode of the driver? Sounds scary.. you need to be extra careful for not introducing any bugs when coding in that area.
Now you tell me, had only 5 BSOD, due to some minor bug. ;D
Most of the problems are due to a lack of official documentation.

Took some old fashion digging to find the right approach, as it's completely different from the normal Windows way.
And I'm doing things a normal driver isn't doing, like accessing user processes.
But a kernel driver is a couple of steps above Admin so you are allowed to do almost anything. But when you do something wrong, only a small mistake is devastating.

I'm not testing the first version 4.0 on a couple of my machines to see if the access problems are indeed gone as it should be.

fred

book_wyrm

I've just tested v4.00 on 2 Milkyway GPU tasks and it's worked flawlessly with 'Connect with BOINC Client' checked.
I think you've solved my problem, thank you :D

fred

Quote from: book_wyrm on May 26, 2011, 04:31:34 PM
I've just tested v4.00 on 2 Milkyway GPU tasks and it's worked flawlessly with 'Connect with BOINC Client' checked.
I think you've solved my problem, thank you :D
It was something that needed to be done, but I postponed it every time, because I had to write a lot of new driver code.
Glad that this problem is finally solved.

wicked

Quote from: fred on May 25, 2011, 12:00:19 PM
Now you tell me, had only 5 BSOD, due to some minor bug. ;D

Hehe, so you know well why I was scared. :) I just did try v4.20 on my main system and it seems to be stable so far. I had TThrottle uninstalled for a while to see if it was causing my BSODs after hibernation but turns out it didn't. Must be that known bug on Vista and 7 where it crashes because BIOS uses some restricted memory area during sleep. :(

fred

Quote from: wicked on June 17, 2011, 07:03:26 AM
Hehe, so you know well why I was scared. :) I just did try v4.20 on my main system and it seems to be stable so far. I had TThrottle uninstalled for a while to see if it was causing my BSODs after hibernation but turns out it didn't. Must be that known bug on Vista and 7 where it crashes because BIOS uses some restricted memory area during sleep. :(
Glad you didn't find any problems. The driver seems to be running pretty good, it seems the regulation overhead is even down a bit.