need reminder to set new thresholds with HW upgrade / downgrade

Started by JStateson, April 30, 2011, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

I had been using V2.2.  When I upgraded my core 2 duo (E6400) to core 2 quad (Q6700) I did not realize that chip ran significently hotter and all cpu cores were way above the temp threshold.  I ran at least two weeks with the desktop systems CPUs being heavily throttled before I realized the problem as discussed here .

This same system also had a gtx280 that was being throttled unncessarily.  I returned an ATI Cypress 5850 for warranty and temporarily put a gtx280 in its place.  That card runs hotter then the Cypress and it was also throttled, but not anywhere as much as the CPUs were.

I only use throttle to report temperatures on all my desktop systems (BOINC farm) which are adaquately cooled except when they get dustbugs, and there is no need to actually throttle anything.

Suggestion:  Pop up a caution box when throttle detects a CPU or Graphics Accelerator change to alert the user after a hardware change.

best regards!

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on April 30, 2011, 11:55:02 AM
I had been using V2.2.  When I upgraded my core 2 duo (E6400) to core 2 quad (Q6700) I did not realize that chip ran significently hotter and all cpu cores were way above the temp threshold.  I ran at least two weeks with the desktop systems CPUs being heavily throttled before I realized the problem as discussed here .

This same system also had a gtx280 that was being throttled unncessarily.  I returned an ATI Cypress 5850 for warranty and temporarily put a gtx280 in its place.  That card runs hotter then the Cypress and it was also throttled, but not anywhere as much as the CPUs were.

I only use throttle to report temperatures on all my desktop systems (BOINC farm) which are adaquately cooled except when they get dustbugs, and there is no need to actually throttle anything.

Suggestion:  Pop up a caution box when throttle detects a CPU or Graphics Accelerator change to alert the user after a hardware change.

best regards!
I haven't thought about a CPU change, I will include a check when this happens. If this happens, TThrottle should rescan the sensors.
In that case, you may have the wrong nr of temperature sensors and that may cause a problem.