BoincTasks v1.08 on Mac

Started by John Greer, June 20, 2011, 12:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Greer

Great new about v1.08 working on the Mac! I just got an iMac 2 days ago.
I cannot figure out how to install Wine on the Mac.
Can you please point me to the download/instruction page?

Nevermind.  I just found it "hidden" inside the other post in this category.  Go here!

arkayn

Got it installed and running on my iMac.

I installed Winebottler which includes Wine as well. Launched Wine and installed Boinctasks to the Wine Program Files folder.

Made a new folder on my documents folder called boinctasks, launched Boinctasks, went to the extra menu and selected Boinctask settings. Went over to the expert tab, selected Overide default (xml) folder and then entered Y:\Documents\boinctasks\. Clicked Okay, went over to the computers tab and added 2 new ones and then entered the name, password and IP address.

Now monitoring my 2 windows machines from the iMac.

Of course I also have BOINCMenubar 2 installed on my iMac as well. But it does not show all the info.

fred

Quote from: arkayn on June 20, 2011, 10:25:01 PM
Great, please report anything that isn't working.
I have snow leopard, running on Win7 in a virtual machine. BoincTasks seems to work that way.
So I should be able to do some testing as well, but less realistic.

John Greer

I installed Winebottler which includes Wine as well. Launched Wine and installed Boinctasks to the Wine Program Files folder.

Made a new folder on my documents folder called boinctasks, launched Boinctasks, went to the extra menu and selected Boinctask settings. Went over to the expert tab, selected Overide default (xml) folder and then entered Y:\Documents\boinctasks\. Clicked Okay, went over to the computers tab and added 2 new ones and then entered the name, password and IP address.

Following your instructions,I got it installed too. THANKS

Now monitoring my 2 windows machines from the iMac.

I can not get it to see my PC.   Still working on it.

JeromeC

Hi, I managed to do the installation part, I can run BT and it "sees" my iMac name and adds it to the list, but doesn't see the running boinc client in Mac OS X at all (no project, no tasks).

I don't understand the part mentioned by arkayn about the directory, and I don't know what this "Y:" stands for, directory cannot be browsed from the xpert xml file override option, anyway I tried to do the same, created a ~/Documents/Boinctasks where I copied the BT wine application generated by the installation, but I get an error about that directory not existing. I tried without copying (initially the wine application was in my Documents user folder) but same error.

Also I can only invoke the option window once, if I cancel it and try to reopen, nothing happens, I have to stop / restart BT...

Thanks for the help, I'm curious about what can be done with this BT...

JeromeC

I have put the correct password (my localhost has a specific one), and now I can see the tab "messages" ok, the status of the computer says "connected", but the project and task tab : I see a counter saying "x seconds to display xx tasks" (and that is the correct number), but once reached 0 it starts again, and displays anything...

... and the history tab : crash of the whole application, it closed immediately, only X11 remained alone, sad and lonely...

I'm using boinc 6.10.58 and Mac OS X latest version.

fred

Quote from: JeromeC on July 03, 2011, 04:04:25 PM
I don't understand the part mentioned by arkayn about the directory, and I don't know what this "Y:" stands for, directory cannot be browsed from the xpert xml file override option, anyway I tried to do the same, created a ~/Documents/Boinctasks where I copied the BT wine application generated by the installation, but I get an error about that directory not existing. I tried without copying (initially the wine application was in my Documents user folder) but same error.
You should see a black wine glass in the top right corner.
Use the right mouse key and select File Manager. Should be the virtual Windows C:  drive.
You should find the computers.xml folder in C:\users\user\application data\efmer\boinctasks\ this the override folder you could use.

If you want to help.
Copy the file log.xml from C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\examples\log to C:\Program Files\eFMer\BoincTasks\log

Make sure the following is set:

<log>
   <options>
      <fileonly>         0   </fileonly>

<history_fetching>      1   </history_fetching>
      <tasks>            1   </tasks>
      <tthrottle_communication>   0   </tthrottle_communication>
      <tthrottle_data>      0   </tthrottle_data>
      <tthrottle_read>      0   </tthrottle_read>
      <tthrottle_graphic>      0   </tthrottle_graphic>
      <snooze>         0   </snooze>
      <temperature_gpu>      0   </temperature_gpu>
      <directory>         1   </directory>
      <search_computers>      0   </search_computers>
      <connecting>         1   </connecting>
      <notices>         0   </notices>
      <heap_check>         0   </heap_check>
   </options>

</log>

Close BoincTasks and restart it and let it run for 15 minutes.

Email the log (address is in the about box) C:\users\user\application data\efmer\boinctasks\log\
Make use you send me the right log file with time stamp of today.

I like to see the crash files as well: http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=338.0

JeromeC

Thanks for the answer, I'm not home now so I can't try anything and I think I may not have time to test it tonight, but for sure I'll be able to do it tomorrow and the following days.

I'll keep you posted.

JeromeC

Ok so I found (who said "steal" ? ) the time : I don't see the directory you are talking about (C:\users\user\application data\ is empty when I run the file tool the way you say), I understood what it the Z: (ie my mac HD)... but then I tried to run again wined BT and now it's working !!! (without changing any parameter, the mess magic of computers...)

All tabs are working fine and are refreshed regularly, great !

I can see a few interesting things in the various displays and options, compared to the standard BM, but I assume that the main advantage is to manage various machines at the same time, which I don't have so far (I only deal with an office PC with no internet / proxy access, so I copy manually all files...), so I think that for the moment, I'm quite happy i could make it work but I'll keep using my mac BM...

Thanks for your help anyway !

traisjames

I am using wine and wine bottler to run boinctasks on my mac to access my two windows machines that run boinc.  when I tell boinctasks to find my windows machines, the ip address used for the search (and I am guessing the ip address given to boinctasks) is not the one my wireless has.