Automatic Boinc client start when starting Boinctasks manually

Started by Tom_unoduetre, June 30, 2011, 01:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_unoduetre

Hi,

I just installed Boinctasks as the Boinc Manager in its current version is so bad... from what I can see Boinctasks is a great tool  8)

So, one question which I couldn´t find in the FAQ: Is there a way to start Boinctasks manually but then when it is started have an option to automatically start the client? With the official Boinc Manager this is no problem, but I couldn´t find an option in Boinctasks.

Thanks

fred

Quote from: Tom_unoduetre on June 30, 2011, 01:00:06 PM
So, one question which I couldn´t find in the FAQ: Is there a way to start Boinctasks manually but then when it is started have an option to automatically start the client? With the official Boinc Manager this is no problem, but I couldn´t find an option in Boinctasks.
Start BoincTasks as administrator and change the following settings.
Extra->BoincTasks Settings->"Start BoincTasks at login" "Start BOINC client at login"
Exit BoincTasks and start it as the regular user.

On Win 7, even as you run with administrator privileges, you need to choose "Run as administrator" with the right mouse button to change these settings.

Tom_unoduetre

Thanks fred, I know that option, but "start at login" means "start at system start"? Because this is what I don´t want. I would need the behaviour from the offical Boinc Manager, which I can manually start whenever I want and which automatically starts the client.

Edit: So next to the existing options "Start BoincTasks at login" and "Start BOINC client at login" there could be an option like  "Start BOINC client at Boinctasks start"

fred

Quote from: Tom_unoduetre on June 30, 2011, 01:33:09 PM
Edit: So next to the existing options "Start BoincTasks at login" and "Start BOINC client at login" there could be an option like  "Start BOINC client at Boinctasks start"
The BOINC client will start, just after BoincTasks starts up.
So you have to set the right check only.
And it works like the Manager, it only starts when you start BT.

The text may be slightly misleading, I will change the text accordingly.

Tom_unoduetre

Ok, thanks, I could have tried that myself but I guess I´m too lazy  :P

Tom_unoduetre

I just closed Boinctasks because I wanted to upgrade to 1.09, and I saw that the Boinc client was still running. Any possibility to close the Boinc client when Boinctasks was closed?

Thanks

fred

Quote from: Tom_unoduetre on July 04, 2011, 09:13:58 AM
I just closed Boinctasks because I wanted to upgrade to 1.09, and I saw that the Boinc client was still running. Any possibility to close the Boinc client when Boinctasks was closed?

Thanks
Not at the moment, no request for it yet.

Tom_unoduetre

Pepo

Maybe with a confirmation dialog, as BOINC Manager does? Maybe only if the client was started by BT?  Note that if the Manager runs connected to localhost's client, which gets closed, the Manager will start it again after some delay...
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on July 04, 2011, 12:18:34 PM
Maybe with a confirmation dialog, as BOINC Manager does? Maybe only if the client was started by BT?  Note that if the Manager runs connected to localhost's client, which gets closed, the Manager will start it again after some delay...
See wish list, don't do this when the client was running when BoincTasks started. So only when BT was the one who started the client.