BoincTasks under RHEL6

Started by JeffL-NH, August 06, 2011, 07:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffL-NH

Hello everyone! I hope you can help me:

I am successfully running BOINC under RHEL6 (64 bit). However, what's happening is I can't connect to the instance using BoincTasks (obviously on another machine). The closest I've come to actually connecting is "Not connected (R)".

The solution lies in port forwarding. BOINC listens on port 1043, BoincTasks on 31416. I have setup port forwarding to take anything coming in from 31416 and forward it internally to 1043. Problem is, it's not working. Firewall is correctly configured (from what I can see) and SELinux is disabled for the time being.

I'm hoping someone knows what I've missed or mis-configured (I admit, this is my first experience with this).

fred

Quote from: JeffL-NH on August 06, 2011, 07:16:03 PM
Hello everyone! I hope you can help me:

I am successfully running BOINC under RHEL6 (64 bit). However, what's happening is I can't connect to the instance using BoincTasks (obviously on another machine). The closest I've come to actually connecting is "Not connected (R)".

The solution lies in port forwarding. BOINC listens on port 1043, BoincTasks on 31416. I have setup port forwarding to take anything coming in from 31416 and forward it internally to 1043. Problem is, it's not working. Firewall is correctly configured (from what I can see) and SELinux is disabled for the time being.

I'm hoping someone knows what I've missed or mis-configured (I admit, this is my first experience with this).
But, what port is BOINC set to? When you use a different port, use the port column in the Computers view.
Forwarding is only needed when you go outside your local net. And even than, only the main port 31416 should be forwarded.

Nothing in the log of the BOINC client?

JeffL-NH

But, what port is BOINC set to? When you use a different port, use the port column in the Computers view.
Forwarding is only needed when you go outside your local net. And even than, only the main port 31416 should be forwarded.

Nothing in the log of the BOINC client?
[/quote]

Well, the ports are open through the firewall, but I still can't connect then. If I use port forwarding (which I agree has 'traditionally' been used to go outside the local net) which, in RHEL6 (others?) can be used to forward ports internally, I at least get close.

The port 1043 is listed in the available ports in the firewall configuration. Is it on a different one?

Nothing in the messages or OS logs, but I'm using 6.10.58.

JeffL-NH

Hello everyone!

I think I have found the problem with this. It's not really a BoincTasks issue, but a user issue instead.

Everything I did is documented in this thread:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=3540

So, in short, this issue is fixed. :-)

fred