BT 1.1.8 Doesn't Show up in System Tray

Started by Tom, August 24, 2011, 06:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I updatet form 1.1.6 to 1.1.8 but the icon doesn't show up in the system tray.  :o  Task Manager shows that the programm is running but it cannot be opened.
Going back to 1.1.6 doesn't fix the problem. PLS Help  :'(   (Win 7SP1 64 Bit)

TeeVeeEss

Can't concur, it's working for me, also Win7 64bit SP1. Did you reboot to see if that's fixed the problem?

Tom

fred

Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2011, 06:10:22 AM
YES, reboot done, no changes  >:(
Did you look in the hidden icons?
Another trick is to start another copy of BT, that should show the running copy.

Tom

Went back all versions down 1.1.8 ...6 ...5. ...4 to 1.1.3 and here we are back in Buisiness: the icon is back in System tray and BoincTasks can be opened.  ;D There must be a change between 1.1.3 and the following versions how the System Tray Icon is handled. But i can't move versions forward  :'(

Tom

Quote from: fred on August 25, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2011, 06:10:22 AM
YES, reboot done, no changes  >:(
Did you look in the hidden icons?
Another trick is to start another copy of BT, that should show the running copy.
Yes i looked for hidden icons but BoincTasks wasn't in the list.
If i try to start another Copy of BT 1.1.8 it shows up a message that it is already running. With version 1.1.3 this trick is working fine but not with 1.1.8 and 1.1.6 to 1.1.4. There must be some changes.

fred

Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2011, 07:37:48 AM
Yes i looked for hidden icons but BoincTasks wasn't in the list.
If i try to start another Copy of BT 1.1.8 it shows up a message that it is already running. With version 1.1.3 this trick is working fine but not with 1.1.8 and 1.1.6 to 1.1.4. There must be some changes.
On the bug list.
The only other way is give BT the /show argument.
Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\log
And give me the latest  dated *.log file. Also give me BoincTasks Startup.log.

There were some changes in 1.14 that effect the icon. I will investigate.

fred

Do you have a non standard tray for the icons?

Tom

The system tray is standard, no mods.
Going back to 1.1.3 and then forward to 1.1.8 fixed it for me  :-\

fred

Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2011, 12:36:05 PM
The system tray is standard, no mods.
Going back to 1.1.3 and then forward to 1.1.8 fixed it for me  :-\
I think something went wrong and BT never got to the point of drawing the Icon.

coolstream

I have seen situations like this for the past few versions of BT but didn't report it because I thought it was a windows issue.

I have always been able to 'fix it' by closing the process in Task Manager.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on August 25, 2011, 02:36:16 PM
I have seen situations like this for the past few versions of BT but didn't report it because I thought it was a windows issue.
The log points to an already running copy of BT. So one copy may have crashed somehow. Starting a new version tries to show the stuck version, so nothing happens.

coolstream

Perhaps unrelated, but yesterday I was preparing to reboot a machine after a windows update. In BT, I suspended WUs once they has started into a new checkpoint until eventually all threads were paused. I was then clear to restart that machine.

Once it had restarted and Boinc was past initial suspension, I cliked on that machine in BT. All I got was a blank window (NOTE: The other machine was still suspended because of my prior setting). I had expected that BT would show that tasks were suspended but no luck. To check, I then opened one task on the other machine (physically) and still no report in BT about that machine although all other machines were being sucessfully being reported.

I had to physically close BT and reopen in order to get a report on that other machine and was then able to take the remaining WUs out of suspension.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on August 27, 2011, 01:01:25 PM
Perhaps unrelated, but yesterday I was preparing to reboot a machine after a windows update. In BT, I suspended WUs once they has started into a new checkpoint until eventually all threads were paused. I was then clear to restart that machine.
That clearly looses the connection.
Clicking on the computer in the computer sidebar should reconnect at once.
But once in a while a connection is refused and you have to restart BT. Personally I can't remember that this happens on my machines.

coolstream

Yes. I did click on computer in left column, that's how the right window became blank.

When I clicked on 'All computers', the other computer was amongst the list, but clicking on it presented a blank window. Only a restart of BT allowed data from other computer to be shown.