BT 1.19

Started by coolstream, September 02, 2011, 08:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolstream

QuoteChanged: Tasks view: A double click with the left Ctrl key pressed will release or set all filters on a selected filter group.
This isn't working for me.  :( CTRL key seems to be ignored because left CTRL + dbl click has the same effect as dbl click without CTRL.

BTW, is there a reason for specifying 'left' CTRL? I knew that left and right ALT can be given different functions, but never saw the same distinction with the CTRL keys (well in Windows anyway)

EDIT: added ALT and rephrased last sentence to make more sense.

coolstream

I see that the message format of the popup has changed. Previously it gave a running total of cores e.g. 2,4,6,8 now it simply lists the cores available e.g. 2,2,2,2. Maybe it was felt that the old method was confusing.

Can I suggest that a compromise could be achieved by showing cores and total instead e.g. '2,2,2,2=8' ?

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 02, 2011, 09:20:04 PM
Can I suggest that a compromise could be achieved by showing cores and total instead e.g. '2,2,2,2=8' ?
This was a bug fix, 1.20 will show the sum.

Tex1954

Well, I still see the funny number displays all over the place in 1.19. Like in the Projects Tab, the Credits, Avg. Credits etc...

All the numbers look like this: 2'549'425.0 instead of 2,549,425.0 and that is the sort of thing I saw in the 1.16-1.18 Preferences times and such.

Maybe an equate or define somewhere buggy boo?

Tex1954

fred

Quote from: Tex1954 on September 03, 2011, 11:46:04 AM
Maybe an equate or define somewhere buggy boo?
The later version uses the Windows setting for the one thousand character and decimal point.
To set the old values: Extra->BoincTasks settings->View "Decimal point and 1000 separator"  .`

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 02, 2011, 08:01:36 PM
BTW, is there a reason for specifying 'left' CTRL? I knew that left and right historically can be given different functions, but never saw the same distinction with the CTRL keys (well in Windows anyway)
You can do this on any key. The left Ctrl key releases all filters with the same status NOT all filters.
What language is your keyboard set to?

coolstream

My keyboard is English (United Kingdom), but read on...

QuoteThe left Ctrl key releases all filters with the same status NOT all filters.

OK I was trying to use it to work on one filtered 'Suspended by user' and one filtered 'Ready to start'. I know that when we discussed this prior to release, you said that what I was requesting would cause to heavy a load. I mistakenly took your idea to use CTRL as a method of achieving what I was requesting.

Now reading the small print 'all filters with the same status NOT all filters', I realise why it appears not to be working.

I can now *confirm* that CTRL *is* working and apologise for my misinterpretation of the function.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 03, 2011, 12:30:17 PM
I can now *confirm* that CTRL *is* working and apologise for my misinterpretation of the function.
The problem with waiting is that the BOINC client is a bit chaotic in that respect. There are a lot of different suspend modes all in a different location.
There are users with 5000+ tasks and for every tasks BT has to check a couple of different unrelated things. It will take too much additional time.
But I keep it in mind, maybe I will find a way.

coolstream

QuoteThere are users with 5000+ tasks and for every tasks BT has to check a couple of different unrelated things. It will take too much additional time.
That puts my request into perspective. I create templates for and work on a program called TViXiE, and when I get requests for features from users, what may appear to be a simple request can often entail a lot of background work so I fully understand what you are saying.

coolstream

I looked at this again in the light of a new day and realise that the 'LEFT CTRL+dbl-click' is more powerful than I first of all realised. Let's take this scenario:

1 WU1 type is suspended and WU2 type is ready to start. Both types are filtered. I wish to micromanage these WU types to (for example) give priority to resends.

2 I had asked for a way to a quick method to unfilter both types so that I could easily see the WUs that I wished to run in priority. We already know that LEFT CTRL+dbl-click cannot open a second WU type whilst retaining the first type in an unfiltered view.

3 THIS IS MY WORKAROUND.
i   Change the suspended type to 'ready to start' (now both WU types are in the same state)
ii  LEFT CTRL+dbl-click and BOTH WU types become unfiltered
iii  Now suspend the ones you don't want to run. Your selected WUs for priority will now be in 'ready to start' state.
iv  Once you are done, LEFT CTRL+dbl click to return to filtered view.

NOTE: I have realised that if you do LEFT CTRL dbl click on WUs from another machine, those WUs too will become unfiltered. I now realise that my mistake was that I thought LEFT CTRL+dbl click was meant to be a second process. Now I realise that if you use it as an alternative to simply dbl-clicking, its true potential can be realised.