News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Testing Version 5.10

Started by fred, September 06, 2011, 07:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Add: In the expert tab a re-calibration button.
Changed: Core calibration, it not logs the calibration in the file log.

Pepo

From "Re: Testing Version 3.00":

Quote from: fred on November 12, 2010, 08:56:57 AM
Quote from: Pepo on November 12, 2010, 08:36:39 AM
The idea behind obtaining the list from a client is fine, but we need to fine-tune the approach. It currently has at least two pretty important drawbacks:

• nCi (0.01 CPU and the like) tasks and (nearly idle) wrappers get throttled along the compute-intensive tasks (projects like QCN may loose a lot of sensor data, projects like DepSpid may have unnecessary delays in network communication, projects like WUProp and XtremLab might loose other tasks' transitions between states, etc.)
  • the compute-intensive tasks behind wrappers do not get throttled at all.
Tasks behind wrappers can still be manually added to the throttled list, but the list of exceptions from throttling is already inaccessible.
I will add: Don't throttle CPU on low usage projects. < 0.5 CPU.
Projects behind wrappers should be recognized. Check BT task properties for the PID and check if the PID (Process ID) is the right one and is actually running.
You can always go back to the "old" method.
Has "Don't throttle CPU on low usage projects" part ever got implemented? I'm recognizing that QCN's sensor data is indeed getting back from driver with incorrect timing, the reading is being timely shifted and the application is "constantly" (or, very often, I've correlated the periods (mostly a few hours during a day) to when TTh throttles CPU tasks) complains to the server about timing errors.

Could the "CPU exceptions" list be accessible even in the "Connect with BOINC client" mode? Or at least until the mentioned automatism will get implemented? The new method does have its advantages (especially for TTh novices), I'd rather continue using it, not reverting to the older method.
(I'm using a 6.12.34 client. My 3 different nCi tasks claim requiring 0.025C, BT 1.20 observes a 0.3-0.9% CPU (i.e. 0.003-0.009C) short+long-term usages.)

Quote from: fred on November 12, 2010, 04:05:37 PM
Quote from: Pepo on November 12, 2010, 08:36:39 AM

• nCi (0.01 CPU and the like) tasks
But tasks with less that 1 CPU aren't throttled as it is now.
It possibly was being implemented at some point in time, but does not seem to be used now?
Peter

fred

fred

Checked and it works correctly.

<exclude>
  <project>freehal.net</project>
  <percentage>3.5</percentage>
</exclude>

Make sure you see <EXCLUDE><project>freehal.net
in the logging.
The name is case sensitive and it's the project url NOT the project name.

In 5.20 I added a percentage as well.