BT 1.24

Started by Pepo, October 13, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

After starting BT 1.24 for the first time, opening Setup, I've found the History length set at 120 (or even 60?) days - in 1.22 it was at 365 days!

The Graphs toolbar does really contain just graphs. But I believe the LT-History, with its window having very similar layout,  would fit there too ;)

One concern with "Display active tasks" - if it is set and there are no more active tasks, the Tasks tab is empty. It is then not possible to open the tasks' context menu and display the inactive ones - context menu is the only way the control it... :-X
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on October 13, 2011, 01:09:34 PM
The last time I've opened my Long-term History window (set to 1 year) a couple of days ago. But today, just at opening the Short History tab (set to 23 hours), while BT was 2-3 seconds switched-busy after switching tabs, I've spotted some errored-out Milkyway task, one red line in a green ocean. After the refres it was gone. But it did nor appear in the Long-term History - the problem is, the most recent task there was finished on 6.10.2011 23:49, tasks finished during 7.10.-12.10.2011 are missing - one more bug to investigate?
After starting 1.24, the missed tasks appeared in its Lt-History.  ??? Including the Milkyway task (was aborted by project).
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 13, 2011, 01:48:58 PM
After starting BT 1.24 for the first time, opening Setup, I've found the History length set at 120 (or even 60?) days - in 1.22 it was at 365 days!
These are the default values, changing then will override them. I found 365 a bit too much for a default setting.

The rest has been added to the list.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 13, 2011, 02:25:50 PM
These are the default values, changing then will override them. I found 365 a bit too much for a default setting.
Sure. But "default"  means "if such value does not exist yet", doesn't it?
In my case the existing history's 365-120=245 days were discarded without any warning. Do you remember, BT warns on user's suicide an attempt to shorten the history...

What I want to say, 120 or 60 is just fine for an installation default. But not for a version update.
Peter

coolstream

One concern with "Display active tasks" - if it is set and there are no more active tasks, the Tasks tab is empty. It is then not possible to open the tasks' context menu and display the inactive ones - context menu is the only way the control it... :-X
A few days ago, my ISP went down for approx 24 hours during which time my cache was totally cleaned out and I therefore had no WUS to process. What you are are reporting was also showing me in Tasks tab and the gadget that I appeared to have no machines connected to BT.

My point being that all machines were still connected yet not processing any data. I think it is disconcerting to get a report that no machines are connected when in fact they are. Wouldn't it make more sense to still report that they are connected even if they are not doing any work? After all, it should still be useful to be able to go to the messages tab to confirm that attempts are still being made to connect to the server.

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 13, 2011, 06:41:12 PM
Sure. But "default"  means "if such value does not exist yet", doesn't it?
In my case the existing history's 365-120=245 days were discarded without any warning. Do you remember, BT warns on user's suicide an attempt to shorten the history...

What I want to say, 120 or 60 is just fine for an installation default. But not for a version update.
If you changed the default setting at any time it should take your setting and not the default setting.
Anyway there is is backup in the history folder.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on October 13, 2011, 11:37:54 PM
A few days ago, my ISP went down for approx 24 hours during which time my cache was totally cleaned out and I therefore had no WUS to process. What you are are reporting was also showing me in Tasks tab and the gadget that I appeared to have no machines connected to BT.

My point being that all machines were still connected yet not processing any data. I think it is disconcerting to get a report that no machines are connected when in fact they are. Wouldn't it make more sense to still report that they are connected even if they are not doing any work? After all, it should still be useful to be able to go to the messages tab to confirm that attempts are still being made to connect to the server.
The tasks tab will be empty if there is nothing left. The gadget, if in tasks mode, will display nothing as well, as there is nothing.
But do you mean the messages tab is inaccessible as well?

coolstream

The gadget stated something like

Running=0
Connected=0

where I would have expected it to state 'Connected=x'. It was easy enough for me to physically check all machines to ensure that they were all running and connected to the network because all machines are located in my house. I am thinking more of others who might not have all machines locted in the same building.

As for the messages tab, I think I will have to recreate the scenario to give an more accuate report.

gabranth

the recent batch of updates seem to have trouble shutting down boinc

14 October 2011 - 14:24:13 BoincTasks version: 1.24
14 October 2011 - 14:24:13 Language ---- User: 2057 (ENG), System: 2057 (ENG), Selected: 0 () Used: 1033 (ENU)
14 October 2011 - 14:24:13 Maximum number of computers: Unlimited
14 October 2011 - 14:24:13 Computers ---- pc , localhost
14 October 2011 - 14:24:13 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_pc.cvs, copy 1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:13 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_pc.cvs1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:13 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_pc.cvs2
14 October 2011 - 14:24:18 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_pc.cvs, copy 1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:18 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_pc.cvs1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:18 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_pc.cvs2
14 October 2011 - 14:24:18 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_long_pc.cvs, copy 1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:18 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_long_pc.cvs1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:18 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_long_pc.cvs2
14 October 2011 - 14:24:23 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_long_pc.cvs, copy 1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:23 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_long_pc.cvs1
14 October 2011 - 14:24:23 CHistory::ReadFile ---- Unable to read to history file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history\history_long_pc.cvs2
14 October 2011 - 14:24:25 Start BOINC client ---- The BOINC client started OK
14 October 2011 - 14:24:26 Connect ---- Connected to: Host: localhost, pc, Port: 31416, BOINC Version: 6.12.34
14 October 2011 - 14:24:33 Shut down BoincTasks ---- The BOINC client is shutting down
14 October 2011 - 14:25:04 Shut down BoincTasks ---- The BOINC client has shut down
14 October 2011 - 14:25:04 Shut down BoincTasks ---- The BOINC client couldn't be shut down
14 October 2011 - 14:25:04 Connect ---- The connection was lost, because the client stopped

fred

Quote from: gabranth on October 14, 2011, 01:27:24 PM
Do you have the BOINC Manager running, because it will restart BOINC if it detects it missing.
BT sends the client a shutdown message, it should always shut down.
But it may be that you want to close down the client too close to starting it.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on October 14, 2011, 10:49:20 AM

Running=0
Connected=0
You mean the gadget or the icon message?
The computer tab should show all connected computers.

gabranth

Quote from: fred on October 14, 2011, 02:26:43 PM
Quote from: gabranth on October 14, 2011, 01:27:24 PM
Do you have the BOINC Manager running, because it will restart BOINC if it detects it missing.
BT sends the client a shutdown message, it should always shut down.
But it may be that you want to close down the client too close to starting it.

it was running for almost 12 hours just now started with boinctasks then shutdown with boinctasks also boinc seems to have closed before the WCG wu's shutdown

coolstream

Quote from: fred on October 14, 2011, 02:29:40 PM
Quote from: coolstream on October 14, 2011, 10:49:20 AM

Running=0
Connected=0
You mean the gadget or the icon message?
The computer tab should show all connected computers.
The popup message which displays when the cursor is over the taskbar icon.

If a box is connected to BT but not running any WUs, the gadget popup does not count it as being connected until it is actually running tasks. If all machines are not running any tasks then the popup would say 'Connected=0'. To me, this implies that BT is not connecting successfully to the machines which in fact it is. I understand why it is reporting '0', but shouldn't this be more the function of the Tasks part of the report?

If it were to report something like

Running: 0,0=0
Connected computers=2

Then the user would be able to see that 2 machines are not running any tasks and would prompt him to restart the tasks. As it is, it simply looks as if no computers are connected which could lead the user to follow a different course of action (i.e. trying to reconnect when working connections actually exist).

I hope I am making myself clearer now  ;)

fred

Quote from: coolstream on October 16, 2011, 02:09:36 PM
I hope I am making myself clearer now  ;)
Added to the list.

John McLeod VII

I have one computer for which BT is reporting all tasks as state "new" and no color highlighting.  Information such as % complete is correct (and updating for those projects that are running).  I thought it might be the large number of tasks that was the problem.  I reported most of the reportable ones and that did NOT fix the problem.  BT does work correctly for a few minutes before it starts doing this. 

The BOINC is 6.13.8 on a remote computer.