What controls the work fetch? Boinc Tasks or Boinc itself?

Started by hucker, October 30, 2011, 04:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

I have a little problem with work fetch, but is it a boinc tasks problem or a boinc problem?  Is boinc tasks just an interface, or does it do the calculations as to what to download aswell?

fred

Quote from: hucker on October 30, 2011, 04:54:41 PM
I have a little problem with work fetch, but is it a boinc tasks problem or a boinc problem?  Is boinc tasks just an interface, or does it do the calculations as to what to download aswell?
BT has nothing to do with fetching work. BT is just the graphic interface that displays what the BOINC client is doing.

hucker

fred

Quote from: hucker on October 30, 2011, 05:33:02 PM
Thanks, I'll report the problem to Boinc then.
It's more likely a Project problem.
If one or more mayor projects are more or less down like Seti and Einstein.
The rest of the projects get a lot more requests, so they may run into problems as well.

What you can do is set a higher work buffer or add another project.

hucker

The problem is that I have set 10 days of work to be fetched in advance.  I have an ATI GPU and that gets slightly too much work, so it misses some of the deadlines.  I also have an 8 thread CPU which has currently only got 2 days work.  Looking at the messages tab, I can see that boinc is not asking for more work from any projects.  Normally when it's short of work it would ask regularly.

fred

Quote from: hucker on October 30, 2011, 05:57:49 PM
Normally when it's short of work it would ask regularly.
The work in days is for a computer that runs 100% of the time, that may be the reason.
But the BOINC client sometimes works mysteriously. It depends on the BOINC clients version.

hucker

The computer is on 100% of the time.  Most of the CPU time is left for Boinc.

I am using the latest release (non beta) version.

Mysteriously is fine, but it's downloading more than the ATI can do.  This is presumably inconveniencing the project, and also it means my ATI is sometimes (if I don't spot it in time) doing work for no benefit to anyone.

fred

Quote from: hucker on October 30, 2011, 06:10:50 PM
Mysteriously is fine, but it's downloading more than the ATI can do.  This is presumably inconveniencing the project, and also it means my ATI is sometimes (if I don't spot it in time) doing work for no benefit to anyone.
If you run SETI (Lunatics) you could do some fine tuning.

Otherwise the problem is a design flaw of BOINC it uses a correction factor on the client (computer) side and on the Server site on with some projects.
The correction factor is the same for both CPU and GPU. This means if the GPU is too slow the factor goes one way and when a CPU task completes it goes the other way.

You can see this by going to the Projects tab, select the project and use the right mouse key to select properties.
The "Duration correction factor" should be close to 1. It adjusts as a task completes.

Just wait and hope.

hucker

Thanks, although I tend to have projects assigned to EITHER the cpu or the gpu.  (Mainly because very few projects do ATI work - only three are currently giving out regular work, so I save the CPU for the ones that don't).