BoincTasks TrayIcon doesn't show

Started by Mellowman, November 07, 2011, 04:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 09, 2011, 06:14:19 PM
Quote from: Beyond on November 09, 2011, 06:04:14 PM
I edited my previous reply and replaced it with the correct log hopefully.
The problem:

11/09/2011, 11:43:57 -- DeleteFiles in folders:D:\Apps\BoincTasks\Data\history\backup\*.*
11/09/2011, 11:44:18 -- Timeout

The history scanning takes a bit long.
See my previous post.  That accounts for 21 seconds but still leaves more than a minute.  Should there be now 6009 files using in excess of 6GB of disk space?

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 09, 2011, 06:19:23 PM
See my previous post.  That accounts for 21 seconds but still leaves more than a minute.  Should there be now 6009 files using in excess of 6GB of disk space?
One thing at a time.  ;D
In 1.26 there wasn't any timeout, so it could take a very long time.

Maybe BT is unable to delete the history files, can you check the file properties?
For the 1.27 release I will add a worker thread that deletes all the old history files. The thread will have a very low priority and can the garbage collection on its own.

I have to analize

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 09, 2011, 06:23:27 PM
Quote from: Beyond on November 09, 2011, 06:19:23 PM
One thing at a time.  ;D
In 1.26 there wasn't any timeout, so it could take a very long time.

Maybe BT is unable to delete the history files, can you check the file properties?
For the 1.27 release I will add a worker thread that deletes all the old history files. The thread will have a very low priority and can the garbage collection on its own.

I have to analize
1.26 didn't start even after an hour...

The folder was marked read only, the files are not.  I removed the read only flag from the folder and BT put it back on when restarted.  How many of those backup files do I need? can I delete some or most of them?

Pepo

Quote from: Beyond on November 09, 2011, 05:36:15 PM
Quote from: Pepo on November 09, 2011, 05:03:58 PM
Which client is it connected to?
To answer your questions, I don't know what you mean by "Which client is it connected to?"
I've meant the BOINC client version. But is probably irrelevant for the rest of my questions, as you could not check the tabs.

My ...\history\backup folder (on one machine with a very small number of tasks being processed) contains 10.4 MB in 250 files, spanning 25.10.-9.11. - possibly because of History's "keep 12 days + 0 hours" preference? The startup times are short now (2-3 seconds, full CPU use).

I'm gonna try the 1.27 version. ... Started fast too, delayed at most 4 seconds.
Peter

Beyond

Quote from: Beyond on November 09, 2011, 03:07:16 PM
for some reason now the localhost TT temp is showing in BT.  In 1.25 the TT temp showed up about 1% of the time if that.
Update:  works for a while at least.  Every once in a while I have to restart TT (5.43) to keep the localhost temps showing in BT 1.27.

Beyond

Quote from: Pepo
I've meant the BOINC client version.
BOINC 6.12.41. Worked the same with 6.12.34.

Mellowman

I've had v1.16 working again, but I couldn't turn on 'start Boinc client at start' or 'stop Boinc client on exit'. With the first it wouldn't really startup again (no window, no trayicon, but running according to Taskmanager) and with the latter it would hang on exit and I had to kill it in Taskmanager. I had v1.25 running too, but it had the same problems besides the connection problems that I have with that version and v1.27. So the exit problem with v1.27 might have to do with 'stop boinc client on exit'.

I got them both running again because I deleted the BoincTasks registry key. But I've uninstalled them and got back to running v1.09 as this version at  least works although I noticed that I don't have the option 'stop Boinc client on exit'.

That I can't use my LAN IP (169.254.0.1) or Wireless IP (192.168.1.x) is probably because of the Boinc client. I tested in BoincManager and there I can't use my LAN IP either. I've tried the option <allow_remote_gui_rpc>1</allow_remote_gui_rpc> in 'cc_config.xml' but that gave problems too.

So I don't know anymore how to solve those connection problems in v1.25 & v1.27 if 2 localhost entries aren't allowed.

Anthony.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 09, 2011, 06:32:42 PM
The folder was marked read only, the files are not.  I removed the read only flag from the folder and BT put it back on when restarted.  How many of those backup files do I need? can I delete some or most of them?
:-X The folder should never never be read only, I will will add that to the testing.
That's the whole reason why it takes so long. The files should follow the folder settings.
You can delete any file older than 2 weeks, BoincTasks should take care of the rest.

fred

Quote from: Mellowman on November 09, 2011, 10:25:59 PM
I've had v1.16 working again, but I couldn't turn on 'start Boinc client at start' or 'stop Boinc client on exit'. With the first it wouldn't really startup again (no window, no trayicon, but running according to Taskmanager) and with the latter it would hang on exit and I had to kill it in Taskmanager. I had v1.25 running too, but it had the same problems besides the connection problems that I have with that version and v1.27. So the exit problem with v1.27 might have to do with 'stop boinc client on exit'.
The client doesn't have any tray entry, so there is nothing to see except that it's running.
The client keeps on running and running if you exit BoincTasks. You have to check the "Stop client on exit" as well.
And as stated, I will test the dual BOINC connection problems.

fred

I tested the dual BOINC setup and it works just fine with the 1.27 test version.
Instructions: http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=856.0

Beyond

Quote from: Mellowman on November 08, 2011, 11:45:13 AM
I run Collatz in a second directory on my second video card. V1.09 has no problems with it and v1.16 had no problems with it either. I'm using port 9999 to connect to my second BOINC client. If I use both videocards (GTX-550 & GF8600GT) in 1 BOINC all project that can use the GTX-550 will try to use the 8600GT too resulting in errors. So I start normail BOINC with a cc_config.xml file with the setting <use_all_gpus>0</use_all_gpus> and in my second BOINC directory with <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> and <ignore_cuda_dev>0</ignore_cuda_dev>. Only Collatz seems to run on my 8600GT and I dont want the card to go to waste. My GTX-550 runs all other GPU projects I run, SETI, GPUGrid, Einstein and MilkyWay.
Maybe a bit off topic but possibly a better way.  The 8600 is power hungry and slow.  Sell or give it away and get an ATI/AMD card to replace it.  Even the 1st 40nm card, the HD4770 will FAR outproduce it in Collatz and uses much less energy.  You should be able to get one on the cheap used.  Then you can set Collatz to use ATI/AMD only and the rest of the projects to use NVidia.  Voila, no more problems of this kind with BT.  I'm running 4 machines with mixed ATI / NVidia cards and it's my configuration of choice.  You may want to check to make sure that your MB supports mixed cards.  Pretty much anything with the 790FX, 890FX and 990FX chipsets will do this.  Not sure which intel based chipsets work but checking a few of the hardware forums will get you the anwer (the MB manufacturer support lines generally won't have a clue).

Mellowman

I don't pay the power bill, and I'm 'legally job incapable' so I have a low income. I just bought the GTX-550Ti a month ago just for crunching. The 8600GT still can crunch a mini-collatz in ~2hours. All my Collatz credits from last month are from that card. And I'm planning to buy/build a new computer with Intel iCore i7-2600K, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5 (3x PCI-Express for videocards) motherboard etc., so I can buy new videocards later on.

My current system is a ASUS P5K-E Wifi-App motherboard with Intel C2D E6750 2666,66 MHz running at 3400 MHZ (8*425MHz) with DDR2-1066 MHz (running at 1064 MHz) with the 2 videocards mentioned (and a RAID config, TV cards).

Anthony.

Mellowman

It still won't connect to my main BOINC client unless the client is already running. So it also doesn't start it (while the option is on in preferences).

10 November 2011 - 16:29:43 Connect, init ---- Host: localhost, Windows-7-PC,Port: 31416, connection error

And the program still hangs when I want to exit it. I have to kill it in TaskManager.

Anthony.

fred

Quote from: Mellowman on November 10, 2011, 03:39:29 PM
It still won't connect to my main BOINC client unless the client is already running. So it also doesn't start it (while the option is on in preferences).
Check the BT logging.
The user that runs BT must have execute privileges  to start the BOINC client: C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe

Is anyone else experiencing problems exiting BT?

Mellowman

If I turn off 'stop boinc client on exit' then I don't have problems exiting the program.

I will edit the log.xml and start logging.

Anthony.