BT 1.27

Started by Pepo, November 17, 2011, 08:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 21, 2011, 06:36:16 PM
Quote from: Beyond on November 21, 2011, 04:27:55 PM
With LT history enabled I was getting constant crashes / restarts and had > 6.5 GB of backup history files. Disabling LT history and deleting the LT files made BT 90% more stable than it was but there's still a long way to go in that department.  Don't take me wrong, I love BT but there are some nagging stability problems that make it a challenge for those of us with a lot of WUs passing through.  Not to tell you what to do but maybe put the new features on hold until the issues are worked out.
When I don't get crash reports they never get solved, because I haven't seen any crashes myself for a long time. And I got a lot of WU's on my computers.
Maybe the average of > 5 WUs completing/minute is causing me to have more crashes, but shouldn't BT be able to handle that?  The fact is if I try to use long term history BT starts to crash once the file sizes start to build.  By crash reports, do you mean dmp files?  Is there a way to make them smaller?  I only have 1 from today since LT history is disabled.  Before that they were filling my HD.

Also I've been testing closing BOINC clients on the remote machines and restarting them.  BT v1.27 shows the client as reconnected but usually does not show the clients tasks until BT is exited and restarted.  Then everything is shown correctly again.

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 21, 2011, 07:24:26 PM
I've then restarted BT - a lot of entries in notices.xml disapeared.

QuoteCould you mail me a notices.html file.
(Sending files per e-mail.)
The problem is probably solved in 1.28, it was in the Notice from BOINC. They where added repeatedly, but only sometimes.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 21, 2011, 08:53:42 PM
Maybe the average of > 5 WUs completing/minute is causing me to have more crashes, but shouldn't BT be able to handle that?  The fact is if I try to use long term history BT starts to crash once the file sizes start to build.  By crash reports, do you mean dmp files?  Is there a way to make them smaller?  I only have 1 from today since LT history is disabled.  Before that they were filling my HD.

Also I've been testing closing BOINC clients on the remote machines and restarting them.  BT v1.27 shows the client as reconnected but usually does not show the clients tasks until BT is exited and restarted.  Then everything is shown correctly again.
I have one machine that runs 12 SETI fermi tasks on, so I get 5 WU's/minute sometimes. There shouldn't be any problems.
But as the history grows very quickly, it's not wise to keep a long history. On these machines it may be better to keep the history for a couple of hours, just to check if something goes wrong.
I need the dmp files, http://www.7-zip.org/ Is by far the best program to compress them.  Use compression level: Ultra LZMA.
You can use the free dropbox program.
I've never been able to reproduce connection problems unfortunately. If you come up with a way to reproduce them, let me know.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 20, 2011, 04:09:49 PM
Turns out that what has grown to a 3 minute start time for BT is related to history logging.  Had to manually delete the 6.5GB of long term history files as well as disabling long term history.  Now BT starts in 2-3 seconds.  I was also getting frequent BT crashes.  Now they've stopped too.
In V 1.29 I will make the history backup optional (default off), it's not needed for most users anyway.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 22, 2011, 11:18:36 AM
I need the dmp files, http://www.7-zip.org/ Is by far the best program to compress them.  Use compression level: Ultra LZMA.
You can use the free dropbox program.
I've never been able to reproduce connection problems unfortunately. If you come up with a way to reproduce them, let me know.
Should be there now.  That's a great archiver, compressed the dmp file to less than 2/3 the size of zip.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 22, 2011, 11:21:28 AM
Quote from: Beyond on November 20, 2011, 04:09:49 PM
Turns out that what has grown to a 3 minute start time for BT is related to history logging.  Had to manually delete the 6.5GB of long term history files as well as disabling long term history.  Now BT starts in 2-3 seconds.  I was also getting frequent BT crashes.  Now they've stopped too.
In V 1.29 I will make the history backup optional (default off), it's not needed for most users anyway.
Nice, that should solve a lot of problems.  Thanks :)