Win 7

Started by Yeti, September 28, 2009, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeti

I'm running Windows 7 (Final, no Beta or RC) 32Bit and TThrotle 1.68

It seems, as if TThrottle can only work right if it is started with Admin-privileges

I had started it "normal", my configurations was to keep CPU below 76° but CPU-Temp was really 79°. TThrottle showed in taskbar that it would slow down my processor / my BOINC-Tasks to 5%, but it was not succesfull doing this. All BOINC_Tasks were running by 100%

fred

Quote from: Yeti on September 28, 2009, 12:59:16 PM
I'm running Windows 7 (Final, no Beta or RC) 32Bit and TThrottle 1.68

It seems, as if TThrottle can only work right if it is started with Admin-privileges

I had started it "normal", my configurations was to keep CPU below 76° but CPU-Temp was really 79°. TThrottle showed in taskbar that it would slow down my processor / my BOINC-Tasks to 5%, but it was not successful doing this. All BOINC_Tasks were running by 100%
I will do some more testing soon. In the last test it still worked ok, but Windows 7 will not be  really final for some time.
Will wait some time before implementing new code. Too much is still Beta, including development tools.
If this problems persists it will involve some serious rewriting of the driver. ::)

If there are others users with this problem, please report.

Yeti

HM, I think I forgot to mention that in this case I'm running BOINC as a service ...

Yeti

For coming Win7-Users:

I deactivated the "Autorun at Startup" in TThrottle
I set up with "Aufgabenplanung" / "Activities plans ?" a new task with admin-priviliges
- trigger it with "start when a User logins"
- let it wait 2 minutes before this trigger acts

This (new) Taskplaner seems to have a problem with directorys that contain spaces; so I had to change the path C:\Program Files\eFMer\TThrottle to C:\Programme\eFMer\TThrottle

Hope this helps

Pepo

I've also got to work on a Win7 x64 machine...

I've installed BOINC as a single-user app for an administrative user account. I'm logging in as a plain user, starting BOINC manager as this admin. So far so good, everything seems to work fine including GPU computing and app graphics. Then I've installed TThrottle and started it as a plain user (well, I've made the BOINC data folders readable for me). TTh was running fine, but upon an attempt to throttle applications, nothing happened with them (as Yeti observed, they continued to run on 100%) and TTh was using one complete core in "red mode" (spending a lot of time (80-100%) in system calls). I suppose the driver is probably not used for tthrottling, just for temperature readout?

After starting TTh as an admin, it is able to throttle BOINC applications and runs "pretty silently". Just to solve the automatic startup "as an admin" (possibly with some link), often it happens that I start it as a plain user process and it is then hungry...

A side note: This damned Win Home system has a drawback, that lusrmgr.msc ("Local Users and Groups") refuses to start ("not allowed") and I do not know how to add someone to boinc_users and/or boinc_admins groups >:(. Is there any commandline/graphical program capable of doing this here? BOINC installer could happily handle a couple of user groups... Or could please someone point me to any MSDN doc how to do this programatically?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on May 14, 2010, 12:10:50 PM
I've also got to work on a Win7 x64 machine...

I've installed BOINC as a single-user app for an administrative user account. I'm logging in as a plain user, starting BOINC manager as this admin. So far so good, everything seems to work fine including GPU computing and app graphics. Then I've installed TThrottle and started it as a plain user (well, I've made the BOINC data folders readable for me). TTh was running fine, but upon an attempt to throttle applications, nothing happened with them (as Yeti observed, they continued to run on 100%) and TTh was using one complete core in "red mode" (spending a lot of time (80-100%) in system calls). I suppose the driver is probably not used for tthrottling, just for temperature readout?

After starting TTh as an admin, it is able to throttle BOINC applications and runs "pretty silently". Just to solve the automatic startup "as an admin" (possibly with some link), often it happens that I start it as a plain user process and it is then hungry...

A side note: This damned Win Home system has a drawback, that lusrmgr.msc ("Local Users and Groups") refuses to start ("not allowed") and I do not know how to add someone to boinc_users and/or boinc_admins groups >:(. Is there any commandline/graphical program capable of doing this here? BOINC installer could happily handle a couple of user groups... Or could please someone point me to any MSDN doc how to do this programatically?

Throttling is done in the program, and it's a lot of work to change this.  ;D And as long as there is a good workaround...

Right click the programs executable, click Properties > Compatibility (tab)
under "Priviledge Level" check the box that says "Run this program as an
Administrator" > Apply > OK.

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on May 14, 2010, 12:10:50 PM
OK, I was hoping to find a clue in Jorden's FAQ Service and indeed: How to add usernames to the BOINC groups under Basic and Home versions of Windows?
(Maybe a logout/login from existing session is necessary to get it really work? BOINC Manager still complains.)

Anyway, thanks Jord!
Peter

fred

Quote from: fred on May 14, 2010, 01:06:40 PM
Did this work?

Pepo

Quote from: fred on May 17, 2010, 09:51:07 AM
Quote from: fred on May 14, 2010, 01:06:40 PM
Did this work?
Yes, sorry, thanks for the hint, I've modified the link I'm using. No chance to forget to launch as admin anymore :)
(And after uninstalling 1.76 + installing 1.80, the change was off course gone ;D)
Peter