Sorting status on projects seems inconsistent

Started by JStateson, June 30, 2012, 01:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

Clicking on the sort direction for status when projects is selected can put all of the active projects at the top.  ie: all the status that is BLANK are at the top and others under them.

However, other status are not in alphabetical order and I cannot seem to make any sense of their position in the column (plotted horizontal to save space above).  Note that "projects" are selected, not tasks or computers, etc.

Is there any reason why "status" events are not in alphabetical order when projects are selected?  I tried holding down CTRL then SHIFT when clicking the sort direction but there was no difference in sorting.

Why do I ask this question?   I wanted to stop all new work so that all tasks complete before I got out of town for a week or two.  Overnight or so all the tasks would have completed and I could power off all my systems before leaving.  When I come back I wanted to power them all up and then remove the "no new tasks".  However, I got a bunch of suspended and no new tasks projects already scattered about my computers and I cant tell the new ones from the old ones.

AFAICT there is no way to tag the status or use a checkbox ie: "select" as in a database table.  So what I tried was I sorted the status with all the blank and deferred at the top.    I then suspended all the line item projects underneath the last "Deferred" project and marked all the ones above using "no new tasks".

I thought that when I got back I would power all them up, click the status sort (projects selected of course) and then all the ones that had only "no new tasks" I could then allow new tasking.

Unfortunately, the sort mixes up the ones suspended with the no new tasks as shown below

If the sort was alphabetic then all the "no new tasks" would be grouped together and I could easily allow new tasks.

Maybe there is a different way to do what I want.

fred

Sorting isn't done on the string, but on a type.
I've changed this for 1.36.

JStateson

Thanks Fred, but I hope this change does not cause problems with users who like the current way you are sorting and rely on it.

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on June 30, 2012, 11:59:30 AM
Thanks Fred, but I hope this change does not cause problems with users who like the current way you are sorting and rely on it.
There is always a risk in changing things. 8)